Brewer Fanatic

Brewer pitchers at the plate

Mass Haas

According to fangraphs, the Brewers pitchers were .207/.249/.280/.530 last year...the top hitting group in the NL. The Cardinals were ranked 8th at .140/.175/.185/.360.

A .170 OPS advantage out of the nine hitter for 2/3 of the at bats there seems like a nice advantage. Am I reading it right that it's worth 2.2 wins vs. the median Cards? Not bad and they might be even better this year.

A .170 OPS advantage out of the nine hitter for 2/3 of the at bats there seems like a nice advantage. Am I reading it right that it's worth 2.2 wins vs. the median Cards? Not bad and they might be even better this year.

Nice, then that well take away the Card's interleague schedule advantage. Hopefully they can, at worst, keep up the hitting and hopefully improve on last years numbers.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Narveson & Gallardo won't hit anywhere near their '10 levels. Gallardo's OPS+ last year was a staggering 124 (Narveson's wasn't shabby either at 96). But Gallardo's OPS+ was 33 as recently as 2009. He's probably going to be much closer to his career line of .218/.260/.418/.677, which is still fantastic for a pitcher. Narveson benefited from a BABIP of .471 last year, and I highly doubt he'll be as fortunate this year.

Overall I think the Brewers' starting pitchers will have a definite advantage at the plate over just about every team, but I don't think it'll account for 2 full wins -- maybe 1. I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see the same level of success again.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived