Brewer Fanatic

Sheffield Retires

NievesNoNO

I don't use this acronym much, but Sheffield in the Hall of Fame? LOL!

Sheffield may be a jerk and he was linked to PED's, but strictly as a player, i think he deserves consideration for the Hall in my opinion. Over a roughly 10 year stretch from 1992 to 2002, i think Sheffield was on of the top 5-7 hitters in the game.

I feel really old. I remember when he was just a kid, starting out. Seemed like a decent enough kid at heart back then. I wish somebody had taught him how to be a professional.

The Brewers bent over backwards for this guy back in the day. I remember them doing things like paying for his family to come to Milwaukee for an extended vacation and then signing Dave Parker and also bringing in Don Baylor as hitting coach to mentor him. Bottom line, he was an immature brat who believed that he was entitled to the starting shortstop position from day one, and he seems to have never really grown up.

Sheffield may be a jerk and he was linked to PED's, but strictly as a player, i think he deserves consideration for the Hall in my opinion.

Linked to PED's? I thought that he admitted to using 'the clear' or something like that.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd87/sugarfiend06/boo-man.gif

I think he'll have a hard time making the Hall, even without considering the PED stuff. I just don't think 75% of the BBWAA electorate will ever want him in the Hall.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

A game I like to play. Two degrees of separation between Gary Sheffield and Yogi Berra. Sheffield's first major league season was also Steve Carlton's last major league season. Carlton's first major league season was also Berra's last major league season.

• 1 year later...

Not a topic to bump.... but Bob Wolfley of the JS has anarticle thats entertaining on Sheff....

some quotes from Gary....

"Yeah, I think I will make the Hall of Fame," Sheffield said. "The work I put in justifies that I should make the Hall of Fame. If I don't, there's no true Hall of Fame. I'm talking about someone who dominated for three decades. Numbers don't lie. People do."

"I don't let no person define me, no media," Sheffield said. "In my mind, I know I won five MVPs. I was a better player most times than most of the MVPs were. I was player of the year five times."

Hmmmm.. I guess Bob is linking this story...

either way.... enjoy.

You knew me as Myday2001.

"Yeah, I think I will make the Hall of Fame,” Sheffield says. “The work I put in justifies that I should make the Hall of Fame. If I don't, there's no true Hall of Fame. I'm talking about someone who dominated for three decades. Numbers don't lie. People do."

Sheffield feels that he shouldn't have any trouble making the Hall, because he has five MVP awards. The baseball record books don't have it this way, but the baseball record books don't really matter to him. "I don't let no person define me, no media,” he says. “In my mind, I know I won five MVPs. I was a better player most times than most of the MVPs were. I was player of the year five times." (The statistical case here isn't great -- he led the league in OPS+ only once, and only twice in his career did he finish in the top 10 in WAR. But he doesn't really care about that.)

Hahahaha. You go, Sheff.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I remember when GS was due back for his first visit to County Stadium as a member of the visiting team. Bob & Brian on Lazer 103 were talking to a Brewers' pitcher (I don't remember which one). Anyways, the converation started with Bob saying to the pitcher "I've got 2 words for ya. Sheffield's ear." Anyone else remember that?

Archived