Brewer Fanatic

Brewers, Weeks agree to 4-year, $38.5M extension with vesting option

Invader3K
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to personally thank Doug Melvin and Gord Ash for giving me a Rickie Weeks extension for my birthday. It's just what I asked for!
I'd take that as a birthday gift. Mine was a Packers loss to the Lions. But, my birthday wish came true when they won the Super Bowl, so it's all good. Lol.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Jonah Keri with a great writeup about the deal over at fangraphs...

This could be a huge boon for the Brewers in years to come.

In this article it talks about Rickie dropping a good portion of his bat waggle at the plate. With the bat waggle a thing of the past, maybe the injury concerns with his wrists have gone away as well.

On a side note, combining the way Rickie and Corey held the bat in 2010 versus how they held it in previous seasons (Weeks less waggle and Hart dropping his hands) and the breakouts both had, you have to say that Dale Sveum is the MVP of the coaching staff. Now do that magic on CarGo in 2011!

Is what Weeks did in 2010 really a breakout? He didn't hit much better than his career numbers.
Really?

Last years numbers:

112 Rs (previous high 89)

32 2Bs (previous high 22)

29 HRs 83 RBIs (almost doubling his previous highs of 16 HRs in 2007 and 46 RBIs in 2008)

.269 AVG (from 2005-2008 he hit .239, .279, .235, .234)

Rickie's OBP was in line with what he always has done but his SLG went up, as well as OPS. Maybe you attribute that all to being healthy all season for the first time, but I would say that other than the beginning of the 2009 season until he got hurt, we never saw Rickie play at such a high level.

In this article it talks about Rickie dropping a good portion of his bat waggle at the plate. With the bat waggle a thing of the past, maybe the injury concerns with his wrists have gone away as well.

It was only in a reader comment. I honestly hadn't noticed any decline in the severity or frequency of the waggle myself.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

logan3825[/b]]Is what Weeks did in 2010 really a breakout? He didn't hit much better than his career numbers.
Really?

Last years numbers:

112 Rs (previous high 89)

32 2Bs (previous high 22)

29 HRs 83 RBIs (almost doubling his previous highs of 16 HRs in 2007 and 46 RBIs in 2008)

.269 AVG (from 2005-2008 he hit .239, .279, .235, .234)

Rickie's OBP was in line with what he always has done but his SLG went up, as well as OPS. Maybe you attribute that all to being healthy all season for the first time, but I would say that other than the beginning of the 2009 season until he got hurt, we never saw Rickie play at such a high level.

Yes, I would directly attribute higher counting stats to being healthy. Let's ignore for a minute how bad batting average and counting stats are for judging player talent. Let's then extrapolate Weeks' 2007 season out to the 756 PA he had in 2010. We come up with 129 runs, 31 doubles, and 24 home runs. He had a .365 wOBA in 2007 and a .368 wOBA in 2010. He had a few more hits fall in so his SLG went up. His ISO was lower than in 2009 and almost identical to 2007. I don't believe 2010 was a breakout year at all. He was healthy and had a small increase in HR.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Not a bad contract for a FLAT OUT BUST!!!
In my best McEnroe voice.... "You cannot be serious!".

Again, I ask- where can this money be better spent? The Gregg Zaun/LaTroy Hawkins/David Riske combo platter, or about half of the money necessary to bring a mediocre starter or overpaid position player to town. For God's sake, Jayson freaking Werth got $100 million this off season. As for extending Greinke and/or Marcum, that money is already there with the contracts of Fielder and Wolf, which will both almost certainly be off the books after 2012. This money should allow for all the raises due guys like Weeks, Braun, Hart, Gallardo, etc, while still allowing wiggle room to extend at least one of the pitchers.

The Brewers got quite the injury risk discount. When you look at this deal, it pretty much assumes that Weeks won't get close to averaging 600 AB/year. 28 years old, average defense. 2011 Marcel projection:

.258/.350/.436

The guy could average 400 AB/year and be worth this deal.

We now locked up a guy who can maintain a .360 OBP and hit 30 HRs...which means we have 2 Ryan Bruans. Not to mention this version of Ryan Braun plays second base instead of the OF.

Not only that but he plays average defense.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I find it ironic that anyone would thinks Weeks was rushed

Unless they think that being able to field a grounder or throw a ball accurately from second base to first base is an important part of an MLB 2B's repertoire :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Weeks didn't take a while. He hit right when he came up. He then got injured and his hitting and defense nose dived. Why they kept running out a guy who needed hand surgery I'll never know. Weeks was hitting .320/.435/.655 in AAA, there was absolutely no reason to keep him there when he was on a major league contract.

Archived