Brewer Fanatic

Pujols contract talks

DuWayne Steurer
Good point RyDogg66, how would the classy Cardinal fans react to Pujols stepping to the plat in Busch wearing a Cub uniform and staring at HR before flipping the bat aside?
I don't know if this has been mentioned in any threads yet, but I'm going to go on record as saying this could open the door for Pujols to the Cubs, with Prince going to the Cards (gasp!). It would be little out of character for the Cards since they typically value defense, but that argument doesn't hold as much value with the recent Holliday/Berkman signings.
Gruber Lawffices

I would like to echo what Gregmag stated. I get a little tired of the "Classy Cardinals" jokes on this website. I think for the most part they are very dedicated, devoted, and knowledgeable fans.

I really think that Pujols not getting an extension with the Cards can only be a positive thing for the Brewers this year. The only way the Cards and Pujols were going to get away from this being a distraction was if they had signed him. Now, it's going to be talked about all year. Where will Albert play next year. If the Cards struggle and/or if he struggles, there will be questions about his allegiance to the team and talk about him just playing form himself and a big payday. It's going to be hard for the Cards to get away from this. They were discussing this on XM this afternoon and I fully agree.

I think most Card fans will still cheer for him this year, but I'm guessing you will get a small group that will boo him each time he comes to the plate.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think most Card fans will still cheer for him this year, but I'm guessing you will get a small group that will boo him each time he comes to the plate.
It's funny that you say this because I almost wish Prince would have been dealt before this season as I feel a little animosity towards him for his apparent lack of interest in even discussing a long term deal in Milwaukee last offseason and into this one.

Like I heard on MLBNetwork Radio today, does Pujols have to make more per year than A-Rod to validate his place as the best player in baseball? I don't think so. We all know he is. If the Cards offered say 8 years/$220MM, shouldn't that be worth something to the player considering they aren't the Yankees or Red Sox and that they are extending their mid-market budget to the max to sign you? I know millions of dollars are millions of dollars but what's the difference when you start talking about hundreds of millions of dollars? Those numbers are so astronomical when you consider someone making $50k/year for 40 years would make $2MM in their lifetime.

Like I heard on MLBNetwork Radio today, does Pujols have to make more per year than A-Rod to validate his place as the best player in baseball? I don't think so. We all know he is.

I think you underestimate just how huge pro athletes' egos tend to be.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would like to echo what Gregmag stated. I get a little tired of the "Classy Cardinals" jokes on this website. I think for the most part they are very dedicated, devoted, and knowledgeable fans.

I don't think anyone had a problem with the Card's fanbase so much as the Cards themselves and their remarks to the media.

I beg to differ. Going back to the '82 World Series, most of the Cardinal fans that I've personally encountered in Milwaukee during Cardinal/Brewers games have been at about the same level of obnoxiousness as Cubs fans, just fewer in number. Probably due in large part to my disdain for Pujols and the manlove that he gets, I've actually come to despise the Cardinals more than the Cubs.

A lot of Cardinals fans out there are still convinced Pujols is going to have a change of heart and end up re-signing with the team. I guess delusion has no bounds.

It's really not out of the question. Gas House Graphs, a Cards blog, recently had a good post about the situation.

Ultimately, both sides of the negotiation are acting precisely as they

should be in the situation; neither of them stand to gain anything by

compromising now, and both stand to gain quite a bit by seeing how the

market values Albert Pujols. To me, there are no greedy parties; there

are just two rational actors.

Ultimately, both sides of the negotiation are acting precisely as they

should be in the situation; neither of them stand to gain anything by

compromising now, and both stand to gain quite a bit by seeing how the

market values Albert Pujols. To me, there are no greedy parties; there

are just two rational actors.

I guess I just don't buy it. Remember, the Cardinals also tried to extend Pujols last off-season as well. I just find it hard to believe that Pujols will suddenly have a change of heart at the end of the season. We could see some team like the Cubs or Orioles get desperate and overpay for Pujols beyond what the Cardinals would be willing to offer as a last ditch attempt.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It's not really about a change of heart, it's about seeing where he's valued in terms of the marketplace. I could see a desperate team overpaying as well, but I think avoiding the albatross of a 10 yr./$300M contract might not be such a bad move by St. Louis.

EDIT: Ultimately I think the Cards will re-sign him closer to 9 years & $250M, just my wild shot in the dark.

Archived