Brewer Fanatic

Casey McGehee -- 2011 salary to be? Signed or renewed?

Mass Haas

In other news, the Brewers announced that three more players on their 40-man roster agreed to contracts for 2011 -- catcher George Kottaras, infielder Luis Cruz and right-hander Amaury Rivas. Kottaras, the backup last year, will have to battle for that job in the spring with Wil Nieves and Mike Rivera. Cruz will be vying for a reserve infield spot. Rivas probably will open the season in the starting rotation for Class AAA Nashville. -- Haudricourt

This reminded me about the Brewers saying they have a "formula" for calculating their pre-arby 40-man roster contracts for MLB players. A pre-arby player can either agree to a contract, as the players above did, or not agree, and have their contracts "renewed" by the club. Having the club renew their contract is having the player say, basically, I don't agree with the offer, do what you must.

The Brewers renewed Prince Fielder's contract in his final arby year of 2008 at $670,000. Milwaukee certainly has received plenty of pre-arby production from Casey McGehee, who is entering his final pre-arby year. McGehee made $427,500 last year (the minimum last year was $406,000, it's $414,000 in 2011).

So look for McGehee to be paid around $550,000, I'd guess. This isn't brought up as an overall analysis of the Brewers' payroll, as we're talking small potatoes in the big picture. But it'll be interesting to see if all the remaining Brewer contracts are signed or renewed, and it's a reminder of how much inexpensive third base production that fortuitous waiver claim from the Cubs netted.

To be honest, I don't know why the Brewers don't throw him a million or so. Do they have to do it? No- but it would be a nice gesture to a guy who played very well the past two seasons, and has cost little to nothing. A goodwill gesture like this may go a long way to motivate him for the coming season, and more importantly once he hits arbitration. Obviously, it's not my money though, but is an extra half million really going to make or break the payroll?

To be honest, I don't know why the Brewers don't throw him a million or so. Do they have to do it? No- but it would be a nice gesture to a guy who played very well the past two seasons, and has cost little to nothing.

The Brewers already did McGehee the favor of getting him out of the Cubs organization & literally giving him a shot at a MLB career. They certainly don't owe him anything, and since he's under team control for the '11 season & three more, I don't see any reason to throw extra money at him right now unless they want to lock him up longer-term (which I'd also rather see them not do).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Fielder was renewed. If I was a player I would let the team just renew me also. I don't think being renewed is a big deal. You have no say either way.

I would go year to year with McGehee at least one more year. I might do a 3 year deal with him after the season. We control him through his prime years either way.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived