Brewer Fanatic

Shaun Marcum [Latest: Avoids arby -- 1 yr/$3.95MM plus bonuses]

NievesNoNO

Is anyone else somewhat concerned that the Brewers and Marcum appear to be heading to an arbitration hearing? I realize they need to make sound financial decisions however, if they're looking to sign the guy to an extension I'd be a little concerned that they're not exactly building much good will with the guy.

Who knows though, by tomorrow they might have settled or even worked out an extension. It just seems like something that should've been hammered out all ready.

I still don't get the rush to extend him. A guy with a large injury history, who doesn't throw hard, who will be in his 30s and who's best season was at the #2 level isn't the kind of guy you necessarily want to lock up. Now sure there are dollar amounts that make sense, but I don't get why everyone thinks he's a huge priority.

I don't think going to arbitration really means anything to player. Some guys might cry about it to the media for leverage but ultimately I would think it has zero impact on the guys relationship with the club. Plus, Shaun has played zero games for the Crew. Any argument Doug makes against him will based off of things that happened for another club.

I still don't get the rush to extend him. A guy with a large injury history, who doesn't throw hard, who will be in his 30s and who's best season was at the #2 level isn't the kind of guy you necessarily want to lock up. Now sure there are dollar amounts that make sense, but I don't get why everyone thinks he's a huge priority.

I might agree with you more except that he's proven that he can get results without needing to throw hard. Pitchers are coming back fine from TJ surgery these days; I'd say last year is a good indication his arm is fine. I know Marcum's not an elite number 1 type, but the Brewers haven't been able to attract/pay a free agent pitcher of Marcum's quality....well... ever. I'm not suggesting they go crazy overpaying him, but a reasonable extension would make a lot of sense to pursue. When they made the trade they had said that part of the reason they made the deal was that Marcum was open to negotiating an extension. Obviously they have plenty of time to work out a deal if they want, but I'm wondering if he's taking any offense to being so far apart with the Brewers thus far and if it would affect any future negotiations or if it's strictly business and it doesn't really matter.

But aren't all of your points reasons why the Brewers could extend him

right now for a reasonable price? Marcum could likely put up an even

better and healthier season than last and become even less signable,

sort of like Weeks has become. He'll be 29 years old for this season,

why not sign him to a 4 year deal? He has 5 good pitches along with one

of the best change-ups in the game. I say after Weeks, he should one

of the Brewers priority, at least while they might sign him cheap.

i'd assumed that DM would definitely want to avoid arby with Marcum. even though it's just business, it's probably not great to start the season with the "This is why Marcum stinks" arbitration process and then come back with "so, do you want to sign an extension?" midway through the season.

just under 4 million for Marcum is a steal, assuming he stays healthy. And there's no reason why he shouldn't be. I really thought that he'd get more. Maybe this was one of those, "Okay, I'll sign now and let's work hard on an extension this spring/summer."

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

just under 4 million for Marcum is a steal, assuming he stays healthy. And there's no reason why he shouldn't be. I really thought that he'd get more. Maybe this was one of those, "Okay, I'll sign now and let's work hard on an extension this spring/summer."
I couldn't have said it any better myself. $4MM for Marcum is an absolute steal considering the numbers he has put up in the AL East. I would definitely approach him with an extension offer now as we might be able to extend him for far less than we thought we would be able to. I had guessed 4years/$40MM but maybe we could get him for something less.

Archived