Brewer Fanatic

2011 Brewer Bobbleheads/Promotions

sveumrules
No official link yet but the 2011 bobblehead schedule is posted at RealGM. If these are indeed correct YO has gotta feel majorly jobbed.

1. John Axford - April 24th
2. Casey McGehee - May 22nd
3. Zack Greinke - June 12th
4. Hot Dog - July 10th
5. Craig Counsell - August 14th
6. Randy Wolf - September 25th

I don't think this year's crop is bad at all. Greinke, McGehee, Counsell, and Axford will all be popular. The only two negatives are the hot dog (which I don't get why they're doing again), and maybe Wolf. Can't see a lot of people coming out for that one. Hopefully the team will be more of a reason to come out that day than a bobble figure.

Slightly off topic, but I noticed the Admirals are doing a Uecker bobble on February 18th, featuring him in a plaid sportscoat.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

1. At least Axford's is first so if he falters later in the season we wont be having a bobblehead day for a long-reliever.

2. There is at least an outside chance that if the BRewers are somehow out of it that either Counsel or Wolf wont be BRewers by the time their dates roll around.

3. Really? An Axford, Counsel and Wolf bobblehead and no Gallardo?

Why would Yo get bumped out of all of those? I agree with others that the Brewers' brass needs to consult a blog or two to get a better pulse on fan interest. It almost seems like the bobbles are awarded to most questionable Brewer contracts. Maybe next year we get the Jose K and Wes Helms bobbles. "See, he's not bad....we made a bobble of him!" Also, I still want the Axford with the combable mustache.

I think in 2008 or 2009 they didn't have a retired player. I really wanna sit down with these people, and other fans. Do they really need another set of sausage bobbleheads? They might as well have put out another Yount.

Posted this in the trading post forum, but they really need to mix up the jerseys. I loved the navy alternates, I don't need to see another retro jersey on a bobblehead for the rest of my life. Though I'm gonna see 4 more this year. Yay. A little variation wouldn't hurt anybody, would it? I can't wait for the Wil Nieves bobblehead next year. And as posted in the trading forum, let's see a Bud Selig bobble commemorating the 10 year anniversary of the All Star Game decision.

With this lineup, have the bobble heads lost their luster?

I don't think its the lineup that lost its luster. The issue, at least for me, is knowing even if I miss a game I know I can pick up the bobble for $10 eventually. Unlike 2001/2002 when the bobble were limited there are people that buy many, many multiples of tickets to resell them.

There are so many bobbles now that there are not any new people collecting them. Fans who may go to their first bobblehead game most likely won't get hooked on trying to get them all. The task may seem to insurmountable.

Even the retro ones, if I'm willing to wait, will be fairly inexpensive.

that's the way I feel about it too Brian. I saved so many of my extra bobbles to trade with other collectors later, but now they just take up room. No one is gonna go outta there way for a Chris Capuano or Scott Podsednik (do majority of younger fans even know who Scotty Po is?) bobble anymore, either version. I started getting rid of the extras last year, but to part with them for only 5 or 7 bucks really isn't worth it at this point. I bought a blue Charlie Moore for like 9 dollars not too long ago since at one point they used to go for 50 a few years ago.

Now the only bobbles of any value are pretty limited and are mostly from Minor Leagues. The biggest Brewers standouts are the blue Molitor, Gantner, and Fingers. Last years Pitch and Stich goes for a good dollar. That'll happen to anything once you decide to water it down until it drowns. (See: Ozzfest, Warped Tour, Lollapalooza, etc)

Maybe baseball cards was a better example, but the point is the same. Anytime you take anything that people are into and then completely water it down it loses interest with its core fans and doesn't hold up in the long term with the casual fan. Quality > Quantity.

Archived