Brewer Fanatic

Questions about Brewer history (from a new fan)

Alexpos

Hello Brewers fan,

Since my last post (about see a game at Miller park this year) I try to learn the history of the Brewers. I was wondering, the Brewers are the only team (well I think!) to have switch league in the history.

I know they switch because of the interleague, but why was Milwaukee choose to switch and also are most of the fan were (and are) happy about the switch or still prefer the AL to the NL?

thanks for helping me!

PS: I just found , the MB in the mitt logo, I got to say, I never saw the ''M'' and the ''B'' in that logo it's so well made!

The offer to switch leagues was first made to Kansas City, but they turned it down. The Brewers then accepted. Personally, I prefer the NL style of baseball. Milwaukee was a "NL town" before when the Braves were here, so I know a lot of older former Milwaukee Braves fans that prefer the NL style.

From wikipedia:

In 1994,

Major League Baseball adopted a new, expanded playoff system. This

change would necessitate a restructuring of each league from two

divisions into three. The Brewers were transferred from the old AL East

division to the newly created AL Central.

In March 1995, two new franchises—the Arizona Diamondbacks and Tampa Bay Devil Rays—were awarded by Major League Baseball, to begin play in 1998.

It was decided to add one new team to each league. However, it soon

became clear that it would be impractical to have an odd number of teams

per league: baseball would either have to give teams many more off-days

than in the past, or interleague play would have to be extended

year-round, or both. In order for MLB officials to continue the existing

schedule, where teams play almost every day and where interleague play

is limited to a few days per year, both leagues would need to carry an

even number of teams. The decision was made to have one existing club

switch leagues.[3][/sup]

This realignment was widely considered to have great financial benefit to the club moving.

However, to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest,

Commissioner (then club owner) Bud Selig decided another team should

have the first chance to switch leagues. The Kansas City Royals

of the American League's Central Division were asked first, but they

decided not to move over to the National League's Central Division.[4][/sup]

The choice then fell to the Brewers, who, on November 6, 1997, elected

to move to the National League's Central Division. At the same time, the

Detroit Tigers agreed to move from the AL East to the AL Central (to replace Milwaukee).[4][/sup]

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays joined the AL East and the Arizona

Diamondbacks joined the NL West. Had the Brewers elected not to move to

the National League, the Minnesota Twins would have been offered the opportunity next.[5][/sup]

[/sup]

In hindsight, why didn't MLB just add both the Rays & Dbacks to the NL? Just not forward-thinking enough?
Gruber Lawffices

I'm very glad we're in the NL because of the pitcher hitting. The ONLY thing I like about the DH is that it give teams a place to put aging players...would be a nice to make Fielder's contract safer for example.

This was another point of controversy about Selig's conflict of interest as commissioner. Critics felt that he sweethearted the Brewers into the N.L. to capitalize on the potential rivalry with the Cubs, stir fan interest, etc. Personally, though I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but I would have preferred that the Brewers had stayed in the A.L., because that's the brand of baseball that I grew up with.

I think in the long run the Brewers might have been better off staying in the AL. Smaller division, continued rivalry with teams like the White Sox, etc. I dont' find the NL "style" of play all that more fascinating than AL ball. I also never bought the "This is an NL town," stuff Selig was putting out at the time. The Braves left Milwaukee about 30 years before the Brewers moved back to the NL. They were an AL town for much longer. It was just a way for the franchise to sell the concept to the fans.

In hindsight, why didn't MLB just add both the Rays & Dbacks to the NL? Just not forward-thinking enough?

I remember hearing that the Diamondbacks' owner was adamant about joining the NL for whatever reasons.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I was wondering, the Brewers are the only team (well I think!) to have switch league in the history.

The Brewers were the first and only team to switch leagues since the American League was established. Another way to look at it is that the Brewers were the first and only team to switch leagues since the start of the 20th century. Teams had switched leagues in the 1800s.

Critics felt that he sweethearted the Brewers into the N.L. to

capitalize on the potential rivalry with the Cubs, stir fan interest,

etc.

I don't know if people actually criticized him or if Bud was trying to avoid criticism. I know he was concerned about how it would look if the Brewers were the first or only choice, though.

In hindsight, why didn't MLB just add both the Rays & Dbacks to the NL?

The National League had just expanded in 1993. Both teams could have been added to the American League to avoid that issue, though.

I remember hearing that the Diamondbacks' owner was adamant about joining the NL for whatever reasons.

Yeah, Arizona ownership was quite insistent that they had a National League fanbase. They were so insistent that their fans believed them. During their debut season, attendance went down during interleague play.

There was a paranoia that existed for the first few years of the D'Backs existence. There was a window of several years where the two new expansion teams could be realigned without any say in the matter.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

This was another point of controversy about Selig's conflict of interest as commissioner. Critics felt that he sweethearted the Brewers into the N.L. to capitalize on the potential rivalry with the Cubs, stir fan interest, etc. Personally, though I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but I would have preferred that the Brewers had stayed in the A.L., because that's the brand of baseball that I grew up with.
At the time, I was annoyed that the Brewers were moving to the NL because, like you, I grew up with AL ball, but I've gotten used to it at this point. I guess I really don't care anymore. It's got to be easier putting together an AL team, though.

At the time, I was annoyed that the Brewers were moving to the NL because, like you, I grew up with AL ball, but I've gotten used to it at this point. I guess I really don't care anymore. It's got to be easier putting together an AL team, though.
I've gotten used to it as well. But as someone else stated, Milwaukee had been an 'American League town' far longer than it had been in the N.L.. Most of the 'National League' fans in the Milwaukee era were older Cubs fans who grew up before the Braves came to town. I still miss the A.L. teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, etc., etc. coming to town a few times a year, not to mention that the A.L. Central is seemingly incredibly weak every year.

I don't know if the NL Central is that much of a powerhouse compared to the AL Central. Also, we'll have an easier time making it through the playoffs not having to face the AL East winner or AL East WC.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I for one did not mind the move to the NL. I think the White Sox and Twins rivalries were good but don't match the Cubs and Cards rivalries. As for the rest of the NL Central, well I don't really have strong feelings of passion playing the Astros or Reds. They're really just there. The Pirates are always fun to play and not just because they're terrible. Kind of remind me of the Indians and Royals, just teams I look forward to playing. Overall though, I like playing the teams in the NL more than the teams in the AL.

The biggest reason I liked the move is that I loathe the DH. I think that is the bottom line here. If you enjoy the DH, then you probably wish the Brewers were still in the AL.

Bud Selig was the commish at the time and his daughter Wendy owned the Brewers. All this talk about Milwaukee having been an NL town and all was really just talk. One team had to change leagues, and only one team had the daughter of the Bud Selig as it's owner and thus it was the path of least resistance. The other big factor was the Cubs. The Seligs liked the idea of the Cubs being in the same division as the Brewers.

There had been 13 seasons of NL baseball in Milwaukee prior to 1998, and 28 seasons of AL baseball. While it's true some people missed the NL style of play, the Brewers had some heated rivalries in the AL too. I miss the great series the Brewers used to have with the Yankees and Red Sox back in the day. Of course that was well before the inequities that now plague the game in salaries so it's probably for the best.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I also grew up with AL ball, but have to admit that I prefer NL ball. I don't care to watch pitcher hit per say (hello Ben Sheets!), but I appreciate the subtle moves and decisions it drives in the game. I'll be one to just say no to the DH...

Briggs has the circumstances exactly right. I too miss the AL. I like the DH. Baseball has specialized over time; I can't fathom the interest in watching pitchers hit, or the endless parade of pinch-hitters. Anyway, the other thing that annoyed me about the move was something Invader3k said: the AL Central is a much easier division because it's smaller. Putting an additional team in a competitive division seriously undercuts any given team's chances at the postseason. I have no doubt the Brewers would have been better off staying in the AL, notwithstanding my feelings about the DH.

Of course I live in St. Louis now and get to see the Brewers a lot, so I take back everything I just said.

What I've never been able to understand is the fact that an expansion team was able to dictate what league they were to go into. I guess that money talks.
My memory could be off, but I remember that MLB was extremely eager to get a franchise into the Phoenix area for a long time. I think they were willing to bend over backwards to accommodate them.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

What I've never been able to understand is the fact that an expansion team was able to dictate what league they were to go into. I guess that money talks.
My memory could be off, but I remember that MLB was extremely eager to get a franchise into the Phoenix area for a long time. I think they were willing to bend over backwards to accommodate them.
I can't remember, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Selig-Prieb regime received some kind of a 'fee' for switching leagues.

Archived