Brewer Fanatic

Jim Edmonds retires.

chadomac

• 2 weeks later...

As hawing would say, thanks for playing, Diego.

Getting injured before the start of camp is probably the best thing that could happen to him, reminding him how miserable he felt trying to play out the string last year. The competitive fire never goes away, but the body eventually gives out.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• 1 month later...
Mark Sheldon/MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Outfielder Jim Edmonds played a total of 13 games for the Reds last season. And in a 17-year career, it is a 13-game stretch that, for the most part, he'd prefer to erase.

Edmonds retired this spring because of a right Achilles tendon injury. It was something he dealt with throughout a 2010 season that began with the Brewers prior to his Aug. 9 trade to Cincinnati.

Edmonds' final at-bat was a home run on Sept. 21 at Milwaukee, where he could barely circle the bases. He was finished for the season and playoffs despite numerous treatments designed to allow him to return. During a radio interview with KFNS in St. Louis that aired Thursday, the 40-year-old criticized the Reds for how his injury was handled.

"It's still awful. I still can't do the things I want to do," Edmonds said. "I'm really frustrated. I don't know the right words to use towards the Cincinnati doctors. I'm in a situation now where I thought I'd never be in. I went so far in my career without really having a huge injury and had a bunch of surgeries. I thought 'Gosh, I'm going to be able to get out of this with my health, my kids will be happy and I'm hoping to be able to walk out of this.' Now I can't walk and chase my kids around. Surgery is the option right now. That would be a year rehab. I'm not looking forward to that.

"The worst thing I did was accept that trade for [Reds general manager] Walt Jocketty. I should have shut it down and went home. I would be healthy right now and probably playing."

Reds medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek didn't have much to say about Edmonds' comments when reached Friday evening.

"I don't really want to comment," Kremchek said. "In the short time I knew him, I thought he was professional and that he really wanted to help our team toward the end of the season and playoffs. I wish him luck with his family, and that's all I can say."

The day after his trade for outfielder Chris Dickerson, the Reds happened to be playing the rival Cardinals -- for whom Edmonds played from 2000-07. With both teams locked in a tight National League Central race, a nasty bench-clearing melee occurred that stemmed from inflammatory comments about the Cardinals from Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips.

"Other than that one situation with that one player, they're a young, talented, nice group of guys," Edmonds said, referring to Phillips. "I think that one incident was very unfortunate and it put a black eye on the rest of the rivalry. ... He says he wouldn't take it back, but hopefully he learned from that and realizes that he was overboard there and causing another distraction that especially the Reds didn't need."

Phillips responded to Edmonds comments via his Twitter feed. Wrote Phillips: LOL. Awww! That's so sweet! Trust me, there are so many things I can say about him [and] y'all would look at him different! "HATER IN DA HOUSE"

Edmonds also said he felt the Reds weren't prepared enough for the National League Division Series, where they were swept in three games by the Phillies.

"They're still pretty young," he said. "I kind of had a feeling that playoff situation was going to play out the way it did. It just didn't seem they were ready for that. They had that loose atmosphere that you have during the course of a season, and everything happens to go right and you can win the division.

"There's a different monster when you get in the playoffs. You need some veterans and some guys to really step up, and you need to be ready to play. You could see that they weren't. They were a really young team and really naive. I'm hoping, for their sake, that it helped them a little bit."

I don't understand the hate on here for Edmonds. I thought that he played his rear off for the Crew last season and put up some decent numbers. Seemed to be a good team guy too. I guess people can't get past the fact that he was a Cardinal or something.

I don't get it. Did he go into specifics on what it was about how his injury was handled that he didn't like? Or just that he didn't like how it was handled, period, and we are left to wonder about those specifics?...

If he felt the injury was so bad, he should of just shut himself down like he said. Why is he blaming the Reds doctors? He knew it was a problem when he went there. Only he himself can know for sure whether or not he should play. If he was smart he would've just retired when he got that injury and been done with it. And now he's blaming the Reds doctors for something he could've prevented himself. Doesn't make sense to me. Why play if you know you can't?
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Wow! Diego left his class behind in St. Louis, didn't he?

Nah, those comments and attitude pretty much epitomize the "St. Louis Class". Always quick to find fault and come up with vague meaningless perceived slights.

I don't know, if you're a hyper-competitive type like MLB players are, you want to play. So even if you feel like crap, if you want to play & the doctors green-light you, aren't you just going to play? I understand that Edmonds obviously was able to feel the pain in his body, but if a doctor tells you you're good to go, & you want to tough it out, wouldn't you trust them?

I agree that more detail/context would be helpful to understand the situation.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, and I just really like Jim Edmonds a lot. I wish he would have been able to stay healthier last year. I don't know of many 40 year olds that hit .286/.350/.493. He gave the Brewers half a season on one leg that a real chump like Gomez could only dream of.

Archived