Brewer Fanatic

Jose Reyes

I just don't think there's a match anymore.

Our best position prospects project as reserves. Why would they want that? We're not trading Gamel, who is pretty much penciled in as our 1B next year. We could give them our best 4 pitching prospects, which would be Peralta, Thornburg, Rivas, and Scarpetta, and I'm still not sure that's enough. And it would be pretty dumb to do for a rental.

I want to see us get a SS too, but as mentioned, I think we're going to have to focus on the Hardy's of the world (which is getting more and more expensive the longer we wait).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thought by Cheez. Little unrealistic for Melvin and even for the fans though considering Fielder is contributing big time so far this year. Realistically, unless the Mets really just don't want Reyes anymore for cash reasons, there's no way they pick any package the Brewers offer. Melvin would have to pull a big time rabbit out of his hat to swindle the Mets considering Cincy is a far better option for them.

Really the only thing you could offer that they might take is Gamel and maybe Thornburg and Rivas/Peralta. Then you have to sign a FA 1B and hope Hunter Morris comes through in 2013.

As many have said, Hardy is a far better option, and it wouldn't matter if his feelings were hurt or not because he has no option. He would cost a lot less prospect wise, and you could probably include Yuni in the deal (Brewers paying the buyout for next year). That way you most likely wouldn't have to give up Thornburg, or Rivas/Peralta as well, but maybe 1 of them. Who knows, the Brewers seem content with the situation at the moment, whether right or wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
End, your last post almost makes it sound like the most important thing to you in a deadline deal SS is what type of draft compensation we get. This should be such a tiny worry of ours. It should only be brought up when thinking about what prospects we'd give up.

Any Reyes trade will start with Green, Rivas, Thornburg, and Schaefer/Komatsu. I am not sure that is even a good enough foresome.

Sub Green for Gamel and Rivas for Peralta and that is more likely. Thornburg, a utility IF bat, a 4th OF, and a 4-5 starter I doubt will get it done. Reyes is the top SS in baseball right now, Mets are going to overcharge and make a killing. Honestly go for Furcal or someone like that. Our system is so bare already, we can't afford to toss what little he have left.

Honestly go for Furcal or someone like that. Our system is so bare already, we can't afford to toss what little he have left.
This. I don't think it would take much to get him with what a mess the Dodgers are right now. Of course, he's on the DL right now so it would have to be certain he's healthy before pulling the trigger.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This is why I floated the idea of taking a Beltran - giving the Mets a bunch of salary relief, (Beltran or K-Rod - although they've each performed well enough that they may have value now) when they desperately want it, could make up for a lack of a premium prospect. It depends on how deep Mark A's pockets are though.

• 2 months later...
Really, Hanley got 6/$70 a couple of years ago. I was thinking $12-14 mill per year. Something like 6 year at about $80-$85 or will the Mets just overspend?
Hanley took a team friendly deal Reyes is not going to be taking a deal like that. If you want something to measure what Reyes will be looking at getting you have to look at what Crawford signed for this off season. Reyes and his agent have said they are actually looking to get a Crawford like contract this coming off season. So something like 7 years at $130-150 million. I don't think that he will get that but that is what Reyes and his agent are looking at to get. I still think Reyes will get at least $100 million if not just over that but the years will not be there because of his latest injury.

I think Reyes will get something like 5 years and $105 million with the 4th year being a mutual option and the 5th year being a vesting option if he plays over 100 games in the fourth year of his contract.

I think the Crawford contract will scare the price down. Crawford has been a huge disappointment and before the season everyone was comparing Reyes' situation to Crawford's. Plus Reyes' injury past will drive the price down as well. I see Reyes getting something along the lines of 6 years $110 million.

There's no way Reyes should get that much. Crawford hadn't had near the injuries as Reyes has had. And Reyes' are very serious, as they're basically all hamstring related. Hamstring problems, on a guy whose game is built around speed and range...it's an issue. It's going to take quite a few dollars away from him.

There's no way Reyes should get that much. Crawford hadn't had near the injuries as Reyes has had. And Reyes' are very serious, as they're basically all hamstring related. Hamstring problems, on a guy whose game is built around speed and range...it's an issue. It's going to take quite a few dollars away from him.
All it takes is one GM to become enamored with the guy. See: Werth, Jason, and Lee, Carlos.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Reyes is going to get a $100m+ deal it is going to be the years that he is not going to get due to his injury. The amount he is going to get paid is going to be about the same maybe $2-4m less a year but that really isn't all that much. The years is what Reyes will be losing not the amount of his contract. 5-yrs with the 5th being a vesting option at $105m sounds about right what Reyes will get on the open market.

That is a lot of cash for a good defense, high average, light power shortstop. Who are the likely teams to sign him as it doesn't look like the Brewers.
The Mets can afford that contract and if the Phillies decide that Reyes would be better than Rollins going forward they could also afford that contract. The Red Sox are another team that could look at Reyes at SS even the Yankees could be a possibility moving Jeter to 3B/DH. Another team that could be in on Reyes would be the Angels as he would fit in perfectly with their style of play. A team to keep a close eye on would be the Nationals as they could go after Reyes also. Now the teams with outside chances are the Brewers and the Cardinals. If both the Brewers and the Cardinals miss out on their own free agents I wouldn't be surprised if these two teams went after Reyes. Would it be wise for the Brewers to do it? No this wouldn't be a wise decision by the Brewers to do this. The Cardinals who have Berkman as option B if Pujols leaves would likely go after Reyes.

There's been a lot of speculation that Reyes' value has dropped due to all his injuries and this makes sense as speed is a big part of his game. But when healthy this is one tremendous player. He has plenty of power for a SS. He's had years of 19, 12, and 16 HR before the move to Citi Field. He also averages about 15 triples a year.

I think he'll get in the neighborhood of $15-16 million a year over 6 years. If Fielder leaves, Brewers can compete in that neighborhood, and I think they should.

Given a scenario that includes Prince leaving and Reyes shopping for a deal in the 6 year/$90MM range, I think the Brewers would at least explore the possibility of signing Reyes. My approval of a deal such as this with Reyes would be completely dependent on the Brewers re-signing Greinke first. I don't think we could afford Marcum and Reyes. I'm not sure how I would feel about a Reyes deal without first locking up Greinke. The lineup sure would look amazing though...

Reyes-Nyjer Gomez-Braun-Weeks-Hart-Gamel-Taylor McGehee-Lucroy

JB, I tend to agree with you. Sort of like the Greinke speculation a year ago when we all thought it was a pipedream. I'd actually be pretty disappointed if we could sign Reyes for something like 6/90 and didn't do it. Give Reyes that contract and use Gamel and Green at first and third and I think we can resign both Greinke and Marcum.

I'd much rather give $100 million to Reyes than $200 million to Fielder. In fact, for Prince's contract we could come close to signing Reyes, Greinke, and Marcum. Of course, all would want to be here.

I hear the argument about Fielder not aging well, but how can he be less of an injury concern than Reyes? Reyes has missed more games in the past week plus due to injury than Prince has in his career. Going further, Reyes only real discernible elite skill is his speed. Speed guys generally don't age well either, and Reyes will be north of 30 for the bulk of his contract. Frankly, I think Reyes is going to be a major bust for whoever signs him. I'd take Jimmy Rollins over him without a thought, but I don't think the Phillies will let him get away. I'd definitely look into Furcal for about a tenth of what Reyes is going to get.... he certainly doesn't look 'done' to me, like a lot of people said back at the trade deadline.

Archived