Brewer Fanatic

Jose Reyes

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Furcal makes a lot of sense both for this year and beyond. I'd think we'd offer him a deal in the offseason that is equal to anybody else. I really think we need to sign this guy and hopefully we can still sign both Marcum and Greinke as well. If we go with Gamel, I think we can fit it all in the budget.

The Tigers don't need SS help. The Mariners and A's do however but I'm not sure either team would be willing to make a big trade at this point. And I'm not sure that the Cardinals will look to upgrade from Theriot especially since they have Punto to come in for defense.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If the Brewers swallow Furcal's entire salary, the Dodgers might not ask for as much in return.

I don't know what package the Brewers could put together to both get Reyes and not hurt their chances this year or next.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm starting to lean Hardy. Any Reyes deal would completely gut the farm system, and though I like Furcal, I think that the Dodgers may hang around in that division with that pitching staff. You can argue about the signabilty of those two, but if either came here and performed they would both cost big money- Reyes, in particular, would be mega-bucks and I'd rather use that money for pitching. I think Baltimore would be the best fit for a trade, because they will likely be double digit games out of first by the ASG and Hardy will likely come much cheaper than the other two. An added bonus is that his history here would basically make bringing him back just as big of a PR boost as the other two among the casual fans.

Again, who would we trade for Reyes? Kris Davis? Eric Komatsu? If we would trade a pitcher I would go ballistic.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Hardy is an upgrade DHonks, but he's nothing special. I'm not going to get baited into the same tired arguement you are initiating. JJ would be a little better for us than YuBet, but nothing that wonderful. I don't see a ton of value in Komatsu/Heckathorn. You could insert two 7-15 type prospects in our barren system if you think they are going to be great. It would be a slight upgrade that might get us one more win that we need.

Hardy does make some sense. It'd probably take one position and one

pitching prospect. Maybe something like Komatsu and Heckathorn would

get it done.

I would never give up Komatsu and Heckathorn for Hardy. I wouldn't even give up one of them for Hardy. Hardy hasn't been any good since 2008. I'd offer Eric Farris straight up and wouldn't give up much more than that. The only reason I'd even want Hardy is because he'd be an upgrade defensively.

Again, who would we trade for Reyes? Kris Davis? Eric Komatsu? If we would trade a pitcher I would go ballistic.

Gennett would be the starting point after that it would be anyones guess. Furcal makes more sense trade wise that is if the Dodgers are out of it. I don't believe there will be all that much trade interest in Reyes as the Mets are going to be asking for a lot. Furcal and Hardy are probably the best bets where the Brewers give up a rather small prospect like they gave up for Durham and Morgan.

Gennett? Why would anyone want him as the primary piece for a difference maker? Don't get me wrong, I like Scooter quite a bit, but he fell off at the end of last season and hasn't exactly set the world on fire so far this season. Not to mention he's defensively challenged at this time as a 2B... he's developmental project who's going to have to beat the odds to make it, he's only listed at 5' 9", he's years away. Any team trading a legit talent is going to want at least 1 prospect with impact talent potential... we don't have much to offer, and Gennett doesn't come close to fitting the bill at this time.

He's mired in a horrible slump so his current line isn't worth posting, he's 1 for his last 29 or something like that, but his OPS and SLG specifically haven't been good all year. Part of that is the FSL, but the majority is him struggling to adjust to better competition. He bats LH so the wind at Space Coast Stadium blowing straight in over the left field wall at 20 MPH isn't going to effect him like it will a RH bat.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Gennett? Why would anyone want him as the primary piece for a difference maker? Don't get me wrong, I like Scooter quite a bit, but he fell off at the end of last season and hasn't exactly set the world on fire so far this season. Not to mention he's defensively challenged at this time as a 2B... he's developmental project who's going to have to beat the odds to make it, he's only listed at 5' 9", he's years away. Any team trading a legit talent is going to want at least 1 prospect with impact talent potential... we don't have much to offer, and Gennett doesn't come close to fitting the bill at this time.
Not the primary piece just the starting piece. Since he is the only player that I can see who the Mets would want everything after that is a guessing game which means there is very little chance that the Brewers trade for Reyes. You were reading way too much into my post. I wasn't saying that Gennett would be the primary piece he is the only piece that we have that would be in a deal for Reyes the rest of the pieces are missing like a primary trade piece. Gennett would be someone like Brantley in the Sabathia trade basically that is what the Brewers have in terms of doing a deal for Reyes.

Now Furcal or Hardy the Brewers definitely have the pieces for them.

Everybody keeps linking the Brewers to Reyes this offseason. I for one just don't buy it in the least. An in season trade is probably all but impossible at this time due to the current state of our farm system. I just have a hard time believing Melvin would commit at least $15 Million a year to a SS when Grienke and Marcum are both set to leave after 2012 and will likely at least see an extension offer.

That being said someone like Reyes would look awfully good in the Brewers lineup at leadoff; allowing Weeks to move down into a run producing spot. It would help ease the loss of Fielder.

I'm starting to think the Brewers should go all in for Reyes like they did for Greinke. Here's my reasoning. Right now they Brewers have no prospect I wouldn't be willing to give up. At the beginning of the year Peralta and Rogers were in that category but both have taken steps back. I realize that the Mets see this two, but because of their financial status they may have to trade him. All I want Milwaukee to do is hold onto to Schafer and Komatsu or at the very least not trade both of them. So offer something like Peralta, Rogers, Farris, Gindl and Bentancourt. Pay for Bentancourt's option to be declined too.

My thinking is that Milwaukee's system is terrible and go only go up. This draft is going to have to start that turnaround and I imagine it's very likely that the first two picks become top 5 prospects. It's also likely Fielder leaves next season, giving Milwaukee at least one sandwich pick in next years draft and hopefully another first rounder. Even if Reyes can't be resigned, thats two more picks in next years draft. Milwaukee will also have to extend either Marcum or Greinke or both, though, in order for this scenario to work otherwise their rotation is going to take a huge step back after 2012.

How much value does Beltran have with his bounceback season? I know he isn't what he used to be, but he does have some value - would the Brewers maybe have to give up less if they ate all of Beltran's contract in a deal for Reyes?

Are Mark A's pockets that deep?

Beltran or Reyes are not options, much less both of them. We are fine in center field now. We do need to upgrade slightly at SS. It's time for a lesser move, not a move on the scales of CC/Greinke. I wish we'd lock this Reyes thread and focus on more realistic names, but I suppose there's no real reason to do that yet.

Again, agreed with HTR. There is no realistic scenario right now where I can see Reyes in Milwaukee. He will cost too much in the way of prospects in a trade and will cost WAY too much to re-sign. He's an amazing talent but we have more important people to "attempt" to re-sign in Fielder, Greinke and Marcum.

Focus on the Hardy's of the world because that is more likely where the SS upgrade will come from.

End, your last post almost makes it sound like the most important thing to you in a deadline deal SS is what type of draft compensation we get. This should be such a tiny worry of ours. It should only be brought up when thinking about what prospects we'd give up.

Any Reyes trade will start with Green, Rivas, Thornburg, and Schaefer/Komatsu. I am not sure that is even a good enough foresome.

No I'm saying that Reyes is the best player and the one that would guarantee picks. I don't think teh Brewers have a real chance getting him, the best thing they have going for them is that only really the Reds and Giants are looking for a SS at this time.

If we get Reyes this year and don't re-sign him, with us losing fielder we would get 4 more picks in the first and 2nd round next year. (In addition to our 2.) So 6 picks for the 2012 draft.

If we lose 1 of Marcum / Greinke, we get another 2 in the 2013 draft. So 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, potentially 6 total if we lose them both. That would be 10-12 picks over the next 2 years all in the top 2 rounds. There is our new farm system.

If the Mets want anything we have, I am open for it. At this point, what does it matter? Our farm is gone. When you subtract nothing from nothing, you still have nothing. I really dont see the Mets making a trade with us, but hey, if for some reason they find a match, pull that trigger Doug.

If you subtract nothing from nothing...

Ha! Well according to Seid during the game tonight everyone is sorely mistaken and we are all undervaluing the quality in the farm system. If you include some impressive performances thus far out of the DSL he may be correct, but stateside the system stinks.

And before anyone suggests a trade utilizing one of our newly drafted players, they aren't eligible to be traded until next summer at the earliest.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived