Brewer Fanatic

Jose Reyes

We know it's likely Fielder will not be a Brewer in 2012. It's also possible that Weeks will be gone as well. The bright spot of one or both of those leaving is that it frees up a ton of cash that can be spent elsewhere. We also know that the Brewers lack a long term answer at shortstop, and one of the best of the 2012 FA crop figures to be Jose Reyes who doesn't turn 28 until June.

Now many will say to use that extra cash to lock up Greinke and Marcum. Keep in mind though, Wolf will be coming off the books after 2012, and sooner if he's traded so there is more than just potential savings on Fielder and/or Weeks to spend on starting pitching beyond 2012.

Reyes will undoubtedly be in great demand and won't come cheap even though his 2010 numbers were fairly modest and he's fallen off his peak year of 2008. But if the Mets don't contend, and with that rotation, it's likely they won't, it's quite possible they will look to move Reyes in mid season. If the Brewers were able to pull off a deal to acquire him in July, not only would that give their chances this year a huge boost (and quiet all the Betancourt bashers), but it might put them in better position to land him long term. Projecting forward to 2012, an infield of McGehee, Reyes, Farris, and Gamel, might not be too bad.

I think if you look at it, Reyes may have considerable more value to the Brewers than Weeks as they may have a replacement in house (Farris) at 2B or could likely get one cheaper at 2B than SS.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reyes is one of my favorite players in baseball. I love his game and would absolutely love to see him in Milwaukee. Having said that there are a number of things that I would have concerns with:

1. Based on the Mets financial situation, I think they are going to be looking for prospects instead of major league talent. We may not match up with them because of this. Let's assume that finances don't play a role for them, trading for him would likely mean dealing Corey Hart. I would be fine with this.

2. My real issue with Weeks potentially not being re-signed is that when was the last time the Brewers attracted a player of even his caliber to Milwaukee through free agency? We need to either re-sign our own studs or trade for them like Greinke, Sabathia, Sexson. The Sean Berrys, Jeffrey Hammonds, Franklin Stubbs of the world are the free agents attracted to Milwaukee. Nothing in our recent history makes me think we can attract a Jose Reyes to Milwaukee. Maybe we have a chance to extend Reyes if we deal for him but he will cost more than Weeks leaving less $$ to re-sign Greinke and Marcum. This necessitates Hart being included. However, as I mentioned previously I doubt the Mets financial situation allows them to take on Hart's contract.

3. Does having Reyes necessarily upgrade us from having Weeks? I don't believe so and he will cost us more money. I'd rather pay Rickie a little more to ensure he stays rather than give up the player/prospects and extra $$ to lock in Reyes.

All your points are good so lets take a look. The one guy I think the Mets would be interested in assuming he's pitching well this year of course is Rogers and the Brewers likely not want to risk dealing Rogers unless they had a long term deal in place for Reyes. Of course that's as of now. The Brewers do have a number of pitchers who could emerge as attractive targets this year. The Mets also figure to need to replace Beltran, so Hart might interest them too, not as a CF of course but as a solid offensive outfielder.

Your second point is valid but when have the Brewers had a pitching staff headed by Greinke, Marcum, and Gallardo? That has to be attractive to a potential FA.

Finally is Reyes an upgrade over Weeks? I think Reyes is a better overall player than Weeks, but of course if Weeks signs for considerably less than what it would take to get Reyes, that's probably a better option. But my proposal assumes they don't sign Weeks.

"My real issue with Weeks potentially not being re-signed is that when was the last time the Brewers attracted a player of even his caliber to Milwaukee through free agency? We need to either re-sign our own studs or trade for them like Greinke, Sabathia, Sexson. The Sean Berrys, Jeffrey Hammonds, Franklin Stubbs of the world are the free agents attracted to Milwaukee. Nothing in our recent history makes me think we can attract a Jose Reyes to Milwaukee.

You sir, have hit the nail squarely on the head as to why it is so important to resign Weeks. At this point in time, I would rather have Weeks than Reyes anyway.

No doubt that Reyes would be better than Betancourt, but, he just isn't worth the money he'll likely be asking for. Looking at his stats, he appeared to be back and healthy last season, and yet his defensive value dropped greatly from the expected, and his OBP was sad for a leadoff hitter. As has already been stated in this thread, our money would be better spent on retaining Rickie.

Now, let's say we can acquire Reyes midseason for a modest package. I don't think anyone would be opposed to it. However, the Mets will most definitely be asking for prospects. As for the scenario of trading Hart to them, you forget who their GM now is. Sandy Alderson likely is not in the business of taking on big contracts.

All in all, I think that, while he is an upgrade over Betancourt, the Brewers are better off not making a move for him. Keep whatever prospects the Mets would be asking for in return, and use our money on Rickie. I'm sure we can find a quality SS next year who won't cost us a lot (in prospects or money) that would fill the void successfully. And who knows? Maybe Betancourt gets his act together and has an acceptable season (doubt it, but you never know).

Reyes would be nice but I believe Beltran will be more available but the Brewers have a need at both CF and SS one for defensive purposes and the other for offensive purposes. You can probably argue that Betancourt is both bad offensively and defensively but I don't really mind Betancourt at SS offensively.

I believe the Brewers wouldn't be able to offer Beltran arbitration due to his contract having a guarantee that the team wouldn't be able to offer him arbitration. Beltran should cost less in prospects from the Mets since the Mets will be looking to get anything for him I wonder if they would take Gomez back for Beltran? Since the Mets can't offer Beltran arbitration it is either trade him or lose him and get nothing or resign him to a contract he does not deserve.

As for Reyes he is going to cost a lot of prospects and I am not sure the Brewers have the prospects to give up nor should they give them up. If the Brewers did trade for Reyes that would really be going for it this year and next year you would probably see a Marlins like fire sale. If the Brewers won the World Series I wouldn't be against this.

The only way I see the Brewers landing Reyes is if he's willing to take a 1-year deal for a lot of cash. The Brewers just aren't going to be able to give out multi-year big money when there's a bidding war.

Honestly, Reyes is the one guy of the batch of people they're losing that the Mets will try to keep.

If Weeks and Fielder leave as FA, they'll have plenty of cash to go after a big name FA. Since SS is more a premier position and they don't have any options in the minors, I'd rather they spend it there. The money coming off the books for Wolf in 2012 and Hawkins can be used toward Greinke. They'd have to use some of the Fielder/Weeks cash savings to sign both Greinke and Marcum admittedly, but some should be left over for a position player.

As for the Mets, they have all kinds of money issues tied into lawsuits over the Bernie Madoff situation. I don't see that clearing up in time for them to keep Reyes.

The only way I see the Brewers landing Reyes is if he's willing to take a 1-year deal for a lot of cash. The Brewers just aren't going to be able to give out multi-year big money when there's a bidding war.

Honestly, Reyes is the one guy of the batch of people they're losing that the Mets will try to keep.

If Weeks and Fielder leave as FA, they'll have plenty of cash to go after a big name FA. Since SS is more a premier position and they don't have any options in the minors, I'd rather they spend it there. The money coming off the books for Wolf in 2012 and Hawkins can be used toward Greinke. They'd have to use some of the Fielder/Weeks cash savings to sign both Greinke and Marcum admittedly, but some should be left over for a position player.

As for the Mets, they have all kinds of money issues tied into lawsuits over the Bernie Madoff situation. I don't see that clearing up in time for them to keep Reyes.

The rub is that they will be looking for cheaper alternatives i.e. prospects which the Brewers do not have. As I sit here today on February 8, the only way the Brewers acquire Reyes is through free agency which is the longest of longshots. Just give Rickie the money!

The rub is that they will be looking for cheaper alternatives i.e. prospects which the Brewers do not have. As I sit here today on February 8, the only way the Brewers acquire Reyes is through free agency which is the longest of longshots. Just give Rickie the money!

It's too early to say that the Brewers don't have any prospects to use in a trade to get Reyes come mid-season and might be an inaccurate statement. Right now they have Rivas, Rogers, Gamel and Peralta. I believe the Brewers will do everything they can to keep Rogers and I think he is untouchable according to the Brewers, but that's just my opinion. Rivas, Peralta and Gamel can be had though at the right price. Plus, players like Schafer and Gennett for all you know could break out during the first half of 2011 and dramatically increase their stock. Those two will probably be in AA and AAA at some point in 2011.

I'd rather have the Brewers trade/re-sign Reyes, then re-sign Weeks if possible. The Brewers desperately need a SS for the long term and Reyes is a good one. The Brewers have some depth at 2B with Ryan Gennett/ Eric Farris. They have Cruz as the only back-up for SS. Betancourt is probably going to walk after this season. Which leaves a mess at SS after this year unless the Brewers can trade for one or risk being outbid in FA if they wait till after the season.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

ok. if we're getting into it to this extent, let's speculate on what reyes might cost. he'll be 28 this season, and he's making $11M (per cot's). star players have been demanding longer and longer contracts in recent off-seasons. i'll take a shot and say that as long as reyes has a solid season in 2011, he'll ask for 7 years at $100M (just under $15M per), divide that up however you like.

thoughts?

ok. if we're getting into it to this extent, let's speculate on what reyes might cost. he'll be 28 this season, and he's making $11M (per cot's). star players have been demanding longer and longer contracts in recent off-seasons. i'll take a shot and say that as long as reyes has a solid season in 2011, he'll ask for 7 years at $100M (just under $15M per), divide that up however you like.

thoughts?

I'd rather give Rickie Uggla's deal exactly then tie myself up with a deal like this. Reyes is great and I would love to have him but he's not worth almost $3MM more per season than Rickie in my opinion. Additionally, if this is the deal to get Reyes, it would probably end any hope of a Greinke extension. I still hold to my belief we can afford Rickie @ $10MM per season and Greinke @ $20MM per season. Whether or not they sign those deals is still up for debate.

• 1 month later...

Reyes early numbers last year got dinged by a thyroid condition, which was a freak reaction to shellfish. Only in 2009 when he had hamstring issues was he hurt. So, I'd expect a rebound this year since he's healthy. The Mets would only move him for real talent and if he were put on the market, there would be a bidding war. He definitely wouldn't be moved for expensive contracts. I think it's likely he resigns with the Mets. They have $50 million in salary coming off the books this year, mostly in dead money. They need him to generate attendance.

I wonder if a package centered around Gennett would be enough for the Brewers to get Reyes. Definitely would have to be more than Gennett and I am not sure what else other than 2B that is a glaring hole in the Mets organization that they would want.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last two days I have had three different people ask me if I heard about the Brewers going after Reyes. But none of them could quite remember where they heard/read that rumor. Has there been anything recent (the last day or so) tying the Brewers to Reyes? I took a quick look and didn't find anything on the internets. I don't see it happening, especially with the cupboards essentially bare in the farm system. But then again, I didn't see CC Sabathia coming either.

Over the last two days I have had three different people ask me if I heard about the Brewers going after Reyes. But none of them could quite remember where they heard/read that rumor. Has there been anything recent (the last day or so) tying the Brewers to Reyes? I took a quick look and didn't find anything on the internets. I don't see it happening, especially with the cupboards essentially bare in the farm system. But then again, I didn't see CC Sabathia coming either.

MLBTR mentions that the Brewers could be looking to upgrade from Yuni B at some point this season, but its all speculation.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I don't see it happening, especially with the cupboards essentially bare in the farm system. But then again, I didn't see CC Sabathia coming either.

Well it isn't really bare there are some pieces that the Mets would want in return I am just not sure it will be enough of a return. Right now it is completely speculation because you have no idea who is going to be in the race for a playoff picture and who will be looking for an upgrade at SS. While I agree with the MLBTR speculation on the teams I see that they have some faults in their evaluation. First one being the Twins as I don't see them making a major trade and I can't remember the last time the Twins made a big trade that brought in a big name player like Reyes plus the Twins look really bad right now and are in danger of not being in the playoffs yeah I know it is early but that team does not look good. The Cardinals are another team that just does not make sense. The Cardinals would need a perfect scenario in order to even make the playoffs and they have Pujols to worry about first and I just do not see the Cardinals pulling the trigger on a Reyes trade when they have so many question marks on their team. The only team I can see making that trade would be the Reds or the Giants and I have questions on the Reds in that they look to be comfortable playing Janish and Renteria at SS. The Giants are also questionable in terms of do they want to give up the prospects to get Reyes and I believe the Mets are going to ask for something big in return.

Now this also doesn't include players like Hardy if he gets healthy or Drew being on the market. Hardy will come cheaper so that would be a move the Twins, Giants, or Reds would make and I think you could put the Cardinals in this spot also. Now Drew will be the main target if he becomes available. I believe this is where the Cardinals would come in because they would have control of Drew for one more year I believe which would help them for the next year and they could possibly still resign Pujols. If Drew becomes available that will take out some of the leverage that the Mets will have in trading Reyes.

Now lets say the scenario unfolds like this the Cardinals and Twins are out of the playoffs picture while the Brewers, Giants, and Reds are still in it. Hardy is now fully healthy and is on the trading block and the same with Reyes and Drew. Hardy is traded to the Giants and now that leaves Drew and Reyes available. If in that scenario that leaves the Brewers and the Reds as the main competition for Drew and Reyes, I don't believe the Brewers have the prospects to get Drew but I do believe they have just enough for Reyes. I believe Drew will be traded to the Cardinals as this is a move I can see the Cardinals doing for the next season to see if they can keep Pujols. That now leaves the Reds and Brewers as the main suitors for Reyes the Reds may up the price on Reyes so the Brewers do not get him that is possible but in the end I don't see the Reds offering a real serious trade for Reyes unless Stubs starts to falter as their lead off hitter.

I could see a trade that would be Gennett, Scarpetta, Schafer/Komatsu, and PTBNL for Reyes. I am not sure the Brewers would have enough in terms of finances to pull this off though but if money wasn't an option I would do a Reyes and Rodriguez for Gennett, Scarpetta, and Betancourt with the Brewers taking on all of the salary for Reyes and Rodriguez. Betancourt would need to be added or Hawkins would need to be added in order for it to work financially this year for the Brewers but this would mean that Mark A would have to really open up the wallet and take a hit this year. The Brewers may have to add in a prospect in the mold of a hard throwing relief pitcher or a #4 or #5 type of a starter. Scarpetta would be someone who the Mets could throw into their rotation next year and Gennett could also be ready by next season depending on how aggressive they are with him. Scarpetta would be someone that would benefit in pitching in the NL East with all of the pitchers ballparks the NL East has. Gennett is an organizational need at 2B and he would fit into the new Mets managements plans.

Good write-up, Nate. I do think a package of Gennett, Scarpetta, Schafer/komatsu, and a PTBNL would fall pretty short of bringing in Reyes. Even in the PTBNL is Peralta/Rogers/Heckathorn, I dont think the Mets would sniff it unless the one of them breaks out in a big way between now and the middle of the season.

I do know if the opinion that Scarpetta and Gennett could be ready by next season is accurate. Scarpetta has yet to prove he can cut down his walks and get outs at the AA level and Scooter hasnt had a chance yet beyond A ball. 2013 is a much better bet of when each would be ready for the bigs full time (and we know Cody's clock is ticking due to the contract). It would be interesting to find out what package of 4 guys in the system it would take to bring Reyes in. A guy like Rogers or Peralta could really help themselves out quite a bit by mid-season. Or they could go the other direction.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I assume the Mets want prospects for Reyes - which doesn't bode well for us. If Rogers was pitching well - maybe he would be considered elite. But not now. Instead we have a bunch of B- type guys - nothing that would thrill a GM as guys to build a future playoff team around.

I will say getting Reyes would be awesome. I'd give the Mets a truckload of our guys. The beauty is that Reyes would walk after the season, and we'd be able to get a couple of high picks for him. It could help replenish the system - along with our two #1s this year, and a couple mor top picks next year when we (presumedly) lose Prince.

I think the Mets will want - and get - at least one great prospect. Something we do not have. Otherwise, they are probably better off just holding on to him and taking the picks. Of course, finances might dictate that they trade him (save on his salary this year, and no need to pay signing bonuses to the picks). Still, I think someone would give a prize prospect for Reyes. Perhaps not, but I think he's too good of a player not to attract some serious bidders with something very good to trade.

I don't think finances would be a problem with regard to Reyes. We're talking about what, 5 million dollars? As many chips as the Brewers have pushed to the middle for this year and next, I can't see that holding them back.

I also can't see the Brewers having a good enough prospect to base a deal around. I suspect the best chance of us getting him, which is still incredibly unlikely, would be to move a guy like Corey Hart in some type of three team deal where another team gives a good prospect back in return.

Something convoluted like that would be the only real chance I see us having, and in that scenario, I'd just assume we trade for a guy like Hardy.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived