Brewer Fanatic

Baseball may change scoreboard replay rules; Brewers hoping to "push envelope" this year

Invader3K

Quoth Don Walker:

But thanks to Major League Baseball guidelines, the videoboard operator at Miller Park has to sit on his hands when there is a close call.

That might change some day because MLB is reviewing the replay guidelines.…

With a new scoreboard, (Rick) Schlesinger said he wants to see if the Brewers can "push the envelope" a little this upcoming season so that fans can get a glimpse of close calls.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

As a reasonable fan, I like it. I am always frustrated at the lack of replays for controversial plays. At the same time, I see that there could be potential for trouble by playing them. Comparing baseball to football and basketball is not valid in my opinion because anger at/heckling of the ump is more acceptable and ingrained in baseball etiquette. It also tends to be quieter at baseball games as compared to football (because of the consistent energy of the game) and basketball (because of the enclosed arena factor), so heckling is much more effective.

Overall, I'm glad we'll be pushing the envelope.

It's good to know it's an MLB directive, because I can't count how many times I've been in the stands, hearing myself or others complain about the lack of replays at Miller Park. However, while better in recent seasons, they haven't been all that great at replaying great plays either.

The absurd thing is, whenever I attend a game, I always record it because there are typically a few plays I want to be able to go back and see the replay that I don't see at the stadium.

The problem I see with baseball doing this is most calls in baseball on the base paths are out or safe calls, yes or no. Football and Basketball have a lot to do with opinions of the rules. Fouls, holding, PI, etc can be viewed so many different ways. If they show a replay, half the people will agree with the call, half won't so it's fine. If you show a replay of a guy who was called out, and he was clearly safe it will ignite the crowd and players/coaches. I just don't see it as working well in baseball.

But as a fan I hate the lack of replays. I think they can do a better job of showing non close plays at least and maybe things like strike outs. Those to me are a matter of opinion similar to basketball and football calls.

I suppose this was good for a new topic.

I think back in the "old days", there was a much greater chance of angry fans storming the field. Honestly these days, other than maybe one or two nut jobs (who would quickly be overwhelmed by security), I cannot see fans trying to get at the umpires en masse. People are much more educated and sensitive to the legalities of such actions.

I would appreciate being able to see the replay live, even with the umpire being wrong. It's much more frustrating to sit there thinking, "I think it might have been wrong, but who knows?" when you're sitting in the stands.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Ya I'm not worried about fans charging the field, more that the umps would realize they screwed up and then have that in the back of their mind. I do think that managers and players would freak out more though if they saw the replay. But hey, maybe that will be cool because there will be more ejections!

Awesome looking big screen!

Can't wait for the Brewers to start putting scuff marks on it. I vote Rickie as the one to bounce the first dinger off it. Perhaps this is the best reason to bring back Russell Branyan http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It's always been kind of frustrating not to see replays of controversial calls on the scoreboard, but it is what it is I guess. I hope the Brewers find a way to get it done though. I don't see why these replays can't be shown if it's what makes the fans happy. I get being sensitive to the umps, but that isn't done in other sports, so I say who cares.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Community Moderator
Why didn't they keep their months shut? MLB is going to get wind of this now and put a stop to it before the season starts. There would be nothing better than watching a closeup of an obvious missed call on that screen, especially if it benefits the Brewers.

It's good to know it's an MLB directive, because I can't count how many times I've been in the stands, hearing myself or others complain about the lack of replays at Miller Park.
The MLB directive isn't new news. It's the same in every ballpark, and it's been the case as long as there have been video scoreboards. I remember knowing about this back in the '80s.

Archived