Brewer Fanatic

Are Brewers fans going to Fenway this year?

AJAY
Just decided to book a trip to Fenway to see the Crew in June. Thought I would pass along that Airtran has direct flights for $210 to $270 and that I also got the Sheraton Boston (3.5 stars, mile from the park) for $93 a night through priceline. Decent deals.

On the last trip the Brewers were at that Sheraton (the one in the Back Bay). I stayed across the street at the Hilton Back Bay. It's a healthy walk to the park and close to the Pru Center. Fun area of town. It was also graduation weekend and may be the same this year. Boston hotels get very crowded with all the schools in town so booking early may be a good idea...especially at that rate.

I went last time and won't be doing the trip this year, but I highly recommend it. It was a blast and there were a ton of Brewers fans. Fenway is what Wrigley could be with a coat of paint and a haz mat team...and less annoying fans of course.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I got my tix and it sure is cheaper to enjoy baseball in mil-town. Got em all through the Sox at face value. Sitting in section 22, piggy back seats, rows 5 and 6 for $60 a piece on Friday. Field box 71 row g seats 3 and 6 (heres to hoping the 2 in the middle of us wont have issues moving down a seat) for $135 and Standing room in the Pavillion Club for Sunday for $25. Overall I think i did decent, but I know I could be sitting pretty sweet in Miller Park for a buck 35 a seat.

Tickets came in the mail yesterday. 3 buddies and I got the Airtran deal a few months ago for a direct flight early Thursday morning, returning on Sunday for $210 each.

I think we are staying at the Bayside (next to the JFK presidential library/museum, I believe). It's close to public transportation (takes about 45-50 minutes to get to Fenway) so we should be able to get around to wherever we would like to go. The 4 of us enjoy history and beer a great deal, so there will be plenty to see and drink that weekend.
Gruber Lawffices

Tickets came in the mail yesterday. 3 buddies and I got the Airtran deal a few months ago for a direct flight early Thursday morning, returning on Sunday for $210 each.

I saw the same direct flights for $210 when I checked a couple months ago. Now the same flights are $412. I should have booked then.

• 1 month later...

Me and some buddies have decided to head to Boston for the Brewers series in June. Looking for help on a couple of things.

1 - what area should we stay in? I've been here before and I know Boston is kinda spread out and you can take the train/subway thing pretty much everywhere, so we won't have a car. Ideally, we'd like somewhere that has easy access to the train so we can get to and from Fenway. But we're also looking for an area that might have some bars, restaurants and maybe some night time activities. We're all in our late twenties, so pretty much any type of place is fine, just looking for some options (is there anything that resembles water street? or state street or anything like that)?

2. any suggestions on things we should do? We're already planning on touring Fenway, touring Sam Adams, checking out a little of the freedom trail, checking out Harvard and obviously the 3 games. Any restaurants we MUST go to while we are there? Anything else that we should see?

Thanks for the help.

I went to see the Pack/Pats game this year but may have to pass on the Red Sox game, though my brother lives out there. I was visiting the family around Christmas and got a Frontier flight for $135 and actually saw an Airtran one come in at the same price shortly after.

You guys are lucky in a way with Milwaukee. I obviously grew up there but now live in the Twin Cities. If I want to hop out somewhere for a quick weekend game trip, I can basically pick any time of the day that I'd like to go with this Delta hub, but it will cost me no less than $250. You guys may get less times to choose from, but whenever I cross-reference my planned trip from MKE as if "maybe if I was back visiting family and just flew out from there" I routinely see $150ish deals on there. Obviously $210 is pretty good, too.

If you're going from Milwaukee a short distance or through Denver with Frontier you can get great deals.

Frontier/Airtran do basically try to steal away some flights here basically just constantly running constant hops to MKE/DEN from MSP and tack on $50 to your guys' low rates through MKE but then I have to deal with 2 hops.

Anyways, off my airline rant.

If you want seafood at a good price at a nice place, there is a little strip between Quincy Market and the North End that has some of the oldest restaurants in America. The Union Oyster House and the Green Dragon I believe are good to go to during the afternoon. I'm sure you can find cheap seafood somewhere else but they run some great $10 lobster tail/lobster sandwich specials. At night, you're going to pay the $30+ dinner price, though. As I said, the Union Oyster House claims to be the oldest operating restaurant in America.

The North End probably has some decent bars, though I can't attest to that. One of the times I was there we spent a night riding back from Foxboro and drank by my brother's house in Brookline (just past Fenway from downtown). Anyways, the North End is all Italian/very nice restaurants, bakeries, etc. I can't necessarily compare it to anything we know in the Midwest, but it has the classic east-coast jam-packed streets and some awesome (some very expensive) restaurants that I would assume might be cool bars. The other unique thing is that obviously, you've got a bunch of historic things in there like Paul Revere's house.

From what I understand, Fenway may be a decent place to drink? My brother has called me numerous times from I think either in or across the street from the park drunk, at some concert at a bar.

Sorry, kinda scattered here but hope it helped a little bit.

Oh, I see you're checking out Harvard. I've been out to Cambridge for only a few minutes but we did hit what seemed to be a very famous Burger joint. Somewhat of a Dotty's (if you're familiar with Madison) but obviously way better. Just a bunch of creatively titled burgers and I thought it was pretty good. There was a line out the door which seemed to jive with the fact that we had heard/thought it was famous. I wouldn't say you HAVE to go there, but if you're looking for lunch in Cambridge, you could do worse.

http://www.mrbartley.com/mrbartleys-menu.html

Checking out the Cheers place is alright, but I wouldn't plan a trip around it.

The West End (I think it is called that?) mostly on Commonwealth Ave is a huge outdoor mall (not State Street Mall, but think Banana Republic and Gap) that probably wouldn't suit 20-something guys (I had to go with my girlfriend) but maybe there are some cool restaurants there.

Otherwise just follow the Red Line or Freedom Trail as they call it. Quincey Market is cool.

Apparently the Sam Adams factory is really small. I was told this by a waitress so I cannot confirm because we didn't actually do the tour. I guess they just produce a small amount there and give you a tour/history/let you drink beer, but it isn't like going to some massive beer producing site.

I'm probably one or two more visits to my brother away from being a Boston expert.

I'll be heading out there on Friday (the day after the last day of teaching) to catch all three games. We'll be coming home Tuesday morning before catching a flight out. Three of the guys in our group are going to the basketball hall of fame while out there, while I plan on just going out to the Sam Adams brewery and just walking around.

We got the Shereidan for each night. I'm hoping I can use that as an autograph opportunity assuming the Brewers are staying there again.

Any of you that have been to Fenway in the past, how much can I expect to pay for a beer and a dog? How much am I looking at for a beer around that area? I've found some good places to eat from Man Vs Food and No Reservations, but any other worthwhile places to eat would be great too.

Finally, is it easy to tour Fenway? Do you make reservations in advance, how much should I be looking to spend on that? Thanks!

Finally, is it easy to tour Fenway? Do you make reservations in advance, how much should I be looking to spend on that? Thanks!
In addition to the link posted by 1992casey, we took the tour in 2007 (the Red Sox were on the road) and did not have to make an advance reservation. I think we did have maybe 40 minutes to kill before the next available tour, but we spent that time walking around the park and looking around in their large gift shop.

I don't remember if my tour photos included any menu signs, which would at least indicate the prices in 2007. If I find some I'll post them here or on Facebook.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

My wife and I are flying out on Friday returning late afternoon Sunday and we are catching both Friday and Saturday games. Does anyone have any insight on which history related tours are the best to do in the limited time we have there? I've seen info on the Trollies and a walking tour, etc. but is there one preferred over the other? Looking to see the Revolutionary history sites, not excited to see an art museum or something like that (must sees- Bunker Hill Monument, Boston Massacre site, Faneuli Hall, Boston Harbor tea party site, etc, etc). Any good ideas? Also talking about seeing Cheers and maybe Sam Adams as well. Staying at the Buckminster right by Fenway Park.

If you want to see those sites, there is the "red line" tour that you follow by foot and you can see quite a few of those in a relatively short period of time. There should be maps online or probably at most of those sites that you can just pick up and make sure you're going where you want to go.

I never took a bus, but that's all you have to do. The "red line" or as it is more popularly called, the "Freedom tour" or something, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Prices for flights have dropped dramatically. I'm flying out on Tuesday and returning on Saturday. Price of non-stop round trip tickets from MKE are $183. I've seen them as low as $178 in the past two weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going out for game 1 of this series. (also going to see us vs the Cubs earlier in the week--two oldest stadiums in 5 days!)

Looks like it'll be Lester/Wakefield/Beckett vs Marcum/Wolf/Yo. Should be a great series. Is anyone touring the stadium before the game? According to the website, they are every hour on the hour until 3 hours before game time. Could be pretty interesting.

Formerly Andersoc420

The tour is $10-$12 per person, iirc. They'll take you into an area near the luxury boxes, atop the Green Monster and into the left field grandstand. The tour guides are generally extremely knowledgable and passionate about the Red Sox, but you won't get any "behind the scenes" looks at Fenway. No doubt that it's interesting, but I wouldn't make it a priority if you're already going to games.

For those fans going to Fenway, assuming no rain outs or missed starts from now until next Friday, June 17th the Brewers will start:

6/17: Marcum

6/18: Wolf

6/19: Gallardo

I am going on the 17th and 18th and I am not sure I like the match ups. The Sox know Marcum well and I am afraid the Red Sox will bang balls off the Green Monster all day against Wolf. Hopefully Braun, Weeks, and Hart fine tune their long ball strokes for blasts over the Monster that weekend.....

I’ll be in Boston Thursday-Sunday with some buddies. We’re going to the Friday and Saturday games and staying at the Sheraton.

Any recommendations for drinking establishments in the area?

Tickets have become available via the red sox the last couple days at face value. On their website they have the option to pick your individual seat (wish the brewers had this), this brings up seats not available when searching by "best available." Hopefully this helps someone save some cash from the wicked ticket prices in beantown

I'll be there for all 3 games, group of 5 of us going.

Unfortunately, the weather doesn't project to be very good. It's still a few days away, so hopefully it changes. But there is rain/storm in the forecast for all three days.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

I'll be in the house for the Friday and Saturday games, ten rows behind the 3rd base Brewer dugout for each contest, so my ugly mug might even make it on TV depending on the at-bat angle.

On Friday night, I'm meeting my friend at our seats, so if you see this face wandering solo before the game in either a Brewers #2 T-shirt jersey (formerly a Bill Hall, now conveniently a Nyjer Morgan) or a blue Brewers jersey, come up to me and say hi. I'd love to meet and/or hang with fellow Brewerfan'ers out there pre- or post-game.

-- Jim

From our "About Us" page --

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/staffpix/jim_goulart.jpg

And don't you know Sessile (Eric) will be in the house Friday and Saturday as well.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

We may end up with a Saturday day / night twinbill, similar to 2008. Let's see, still much can happen.

Of course, they'll never call Friday's game until they get everyone in there and get some concession / parking money from us.

I was there last time, and the rainout was horrible. We sat there for like 2 hours before they called it, then had the doubleheader on Saturday, and that's a long time to sit at the stadium. I hope the forecast changes. It certainly could, it's still a few days away, but as of right now on weather.com, it looks bad:

Friday 76 and showers, 40% chance of rain

Saturday, 72 with few showers, 30% chance of rain

Sunday, 82 and partly cloudy, no rain

Really hope that storm moves faster or in another direction.

I will be at Fenway Park on Friday and Saturday. If you see an Indian guy in a Braun jersey, come and say hello to me http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hoping the weather cooperates.

Archived