Brewer Fanatic

Cashman with loose lips

CheezWizHed

I love the Jeter comments... way to get out ahead on that one, Brian http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The Yankees are entering an interesting timeframe. The superstars that were eventually going to be old are now old enough to pose legitimate concerns, and of course are tying up a huge chunk of the budget. From '11-'15 or so, the Yankees are going to have to execute some form of rebuild, and I think they'd be remiss to not keep Cashman around to be the one to do it. Imo he's done a nice job (considering meddlesome ownership) building a base of youth for the Yankees, & not just selling the prospects off for veterans. They definitely have some younger building blocks, but it might get ugly -- by Yankees standards -- over the next 3 or 4 seasons.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Given his statements about who signed Soriano along with how candid he is now looks like he's distancing himself from the team doesn't it? Gotta wonder if maybe he's getting sick of meddling owners making moves he thinks will backfire.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think he definitely has a desire to work for a smaller market team. Having seen the way he operates, he definitely wants to build from within. He probably doesn't like the perception that he essentially has a blank check and doesn't need any talent to be a winning GM.

Well I think we might now know why Cashman wants to get fired. The Yankees look to be entering another Steinbrenner era, this time with Hank calling the shots:

http://sports.espn.go.com...lb/news/story?id=6068830

God that has to be a horrible place right now, and that's without the big ego rich New Yorkers thinking they should have a direct line to Cashman for tickets.

Mr. Levine we'll all be impressed when the Yankees win a pennant without having the highest payroll. I might also want to inform you that no teams would be on welfare if they were allowed to relocate to NY. Yet I think you might be against that. In fact I believe your team has preemptively blocked such a move. The Queens Rangers, Brooklyn Brewers or the Manhattan Twins should be an option for teams you insist on telling to make more money to. Seems a bit rich to tell someone else to get their finances in order when you won't share the largest market with them.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Mr. Levine we'll all be impressed when the Yankees win a pennant without having the highest payroll. I might also want to inform you that no teams would be on welfare if they were allowed to relocate to NY. Yet I think you might be against that. In fact I believe your team has preemptively blocked such a move. The Queens Rangers, Brooklyn Brewers or the Manhattan Twins should be an option for teams you insist on telling to make more money to. Seems a bit rich to tell someone else to get their finances in order when you won't share the largest market with them.
Exactly! If he wants to get rid of revenue sharing, get rid of market protection. In 5 years, New York City would have at least 4 major league baseball teams.

That Randy Levine sure likes to run his mouth. Seems like one of the biggest jerks in professional sports.

As a Yankees fan, I have never liked him. I can tolerate Hank, but Levine and Lonn Trost need to be thrown off a bridge.

And because he's in the thread title, I'm a fan of Cashman. Every time his contract was up, I hope he stayed. In 2005(?) he was given more control and it worked. Even though I always worry, I don't see him going anywhere else.

Community Moderator

Maybe Cashman is trying to deflect blame in advance. This is the first time in many years that the Yankees are not one of the top-5 teams in baseball going into the season. They had a terrible offseason. He's making it known now that it's not his fault and getting public opinion in his favor for when the fallout happens.

Levine is just saying what most Yankees fans already believe--although it if was true, he wouldn't have to say anything. Every time a mid-market team calls out the Yankees as an example of the broken financial system, it is important for the Yankees to quickly respond--to quell any anti-Yankee sentiment before it gains momentum. It's even more important with the CBA expiring. The current luxury taxes are a joke--it's not enough to help the small market teams that are trying to compete and it's pocketed by bad owners like Loria and Glass.

I'm not a Red Sox fan, but it will be fun to watch them dominate the Yankees this year.

Archived