Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Mark Kotsay; Latest -- RHP Roque Mercedes clears waivers, remains Milwaukee property

Bombers

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no problems giving him a shot in a Catalanotto role as you said. I wouldn't give him any type of major league contract though. I would just give him a NRI. We could definitely do worse for that 5th outfielder spot, so this wouldn't be bad at all.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't see a problem with Kotsay as a player, I just don't know if we need him.

If you lock in Dickerson (which might not be the right thing to do), Counsel, one of the catchers - that leaves two spots. Kotsay is a lefty, so if you keep him, you probably need to add an IF who bats right handed, since you'd have no righties on the bench. If that happens, that puts Gamel at AAA (which might be the plan all along). You then need a decent right handed hitting IF to balance out things.

I don't see a problem with Kotsay as a player, I just don't know if we need him.

If you lock in Dickerson (which might not be the right thing to do), Counsel, one of the catchers - that leaves two spots. Kotsay is a lefty, so if you keep him, you probably need to add an IF who bats right handed, since you'd have no righties on the bench. If that happens, that puts Gamel at AAA (which might be the plan all along). You then need a decent right handed hitting IF to balance out things.

Not really. Boggs is a switch hitter. Personally for a late inning bat, I certainly prefer a proven veteran like Kotsay over Dickerson. That's assuming they don't think they can give enough AB's to Gamel. Either way, I don't see the harm in bringing in a quality vet like Kotsay as a NRI. A .315 career average as a pinch hitter is nothing to sneeze at.

I guess I am confused why we would continue to stockpile backup corner outfielders when we have a glaring hole at SS. Seriously, how many at bats is a backup corner outfielder going to get.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I guess I am confused why we would continue to stockpile backup corner outfielders when we have a glaring hole at SS. Seriously, how many at bats is a backup corner outfielder going to get.
It's because Melvin for some crazy reason thinks that Betancourt will be fine as our SS. Counsell can play there some, but not enough to make up for Betancourt being terrible. I agree that we should've gotten some help there as insurance, but it is what it is I guess.

I personally would've preferred Willie Harris, just because he provides more versatility in the field. He could at least play 2b, 3b, and the outfield corners. Kotsay really isn't much of an option in the field at all. Maybe at 1b, which won't matter, or possibly corner outfield, but I wouldn't trust him out there anymore. If he ends up getting playing time in CF that would be ridiculous. Gomez and Dickerson are both far superior to anyone on the roster in the outfield and in CF.

I personally would've preferred Willie Harris, just because he provides more versatility in the field. He could at least play 2b, 3b, and the outfield corners. Kotsay really isn't much of an option in the field at all. Maybe at 1b, which won't matter, or possibly corner outfield, but I wouldn't trust him out there anymore. If he ends up getting playing time in CF that would be ridiculous. Gomez and Dickerson are both far superior to anyone on the roster in the outfield and in CF.

You are being misled by the fact that he mostly DH'd for the White Sox last year. He did that because they had 4 OF ahead of him, not because he couldn't play. In fact last year the "theme" of the White Sox was that Ozzie wanted DH's that could also be used in the field because it gave them more flexibility.. That's why they let Thome go. Kotsay just turned 35. He's not decrepit.

Kotsay has been below average defensively for almost 5 years now. He'd be almost exclusively a pinch-hitting bat on this team, and considering his career numbers look like Jody Gerut's with better luck in BABIP, I'm not really interested.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

You are being misled by the fact that he mostly DH'd for the White Sox last year. He did that because they had 4 OF ahead of him, not because he couldn't play. In fact last year the "theme" of the White Sox was that Ozzie wanted DH's that could also be used in the field because it gave them more flexibility.. That's why they let Thome go. Kotsay just turned 35. He's not decrepit.

No, not really. He sucks in the field when he plays in the field. I don't care if he DH'd a lot. I would rather have Gomez or Dickerson out there anytime ahead of him. Probably Boggs and Reed too.

I don't completely understand the hysterical reaction to Betancourt -- I get some of it, but the "worst starting player in the bigs" or similar sorts of things seem a bit much. Mike Cameron wasn't that different a hitter -- worse BA, & worse K rate for sure -- but was a good defender. But man, for those defensive qualities, so many around here thought he was practically deserving of knighthood. Anyway, I digress...

We don't have a hole at SS. We don't have a SS most folks trust, but we have a starting SS and I can deal with having Betancourt -- and having to pay Betancourt -- at least for a while as part of the price for acquiring Greinke. Why? Because if YB's half-decent, then we're fine. And if he's not, and if a decent replacement can be had (whether from the minors or by acquisition), Melvin's release of Suppan & that HUGE money last year would seem a strong indicator that if Betancourt's truly terrible and there are better options, he won't be kept around or at least not in the starting lineup for long.

...Back on topic, Kotsay has a chance to be this year's Kapler or Edmonds. If he doesn't make the cut, then he proves to be this year's Brant Brown or Trot Nixon (NRIs who get cut in ST & become organizational footnotes). Nice low-risk possibility here. But I still would prefer seeing Scotty Po come back instead. Maybe the only real noteworthy advantages for Kotsay over Pods are his solid PH track record (and perhaps OBP, however post-peak Kotsay's may be) and the fact that Kotsay's become quite used to being a bench player. However, maybe those are what the front office deems we need most.

For all Gomez's faults, it's still sure nice not to be pinning our hopes on the Chad Greens and David Krynzels of the world. Maybe we won't have to pin hopes on Gomez that much longer, either.

Mike Cameron wasn't that different a hitter -- worse BA, & worse K rate for sure -- but was a good defender.

He was a far better offensive player because, in spite of his Ks & AVG, he carried a good OBP & SLG for his position... in addition to being a top-flight defender. Betancourt does one thing moderately well for his position, and that's SLG. Aside from that, he's a negative.

Nice low-risk possibility here.

I agree, but unlike Edmonds, there's not much upside to Kotsay. I'd rather the Brewers just pass on him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I just don't understand the whole give Betancourt a chance thing. Why? What is out there that says well he could be OK? RBIs/AB while ignoring the AB circumstances? Looking back to when he was 24 and ignoring everything since then? Betancourt is a replacement level talent (well so is Kotasy at this point..) and you try to get those guys out of starting positions. Everyone said the same about Suppan and they (we) were right then too! I guess I'm not sure why people are surprised when fans want the Brewers to replace not a just a below average starter but a replacement level player to make the team better.

Mike Cameron wasn't that different a hitter -- worse BA, & worse K rate for sure -- but was a good defender.

He was a far better offensive player because, in spite of his Ks & AVG, he carried a good OBP & SLG for his position... in addition to being a top-flight defender. Betancourt does one thing moderately well for his position, and that's SLG. Aside from that, he's a negative.

Nice low-risk possibility here.

I agree, but unlike Edmonds, there's not much upside to Kotsay. I'd rather the Brewers just pass on him.

Not really. Cameron was the last guy you wanted up there with 1 out and a runner on third which is why despite his solid slugging numbers, his RBI totals were so modest.. In his 2 seasons as a Brewer, Cameron batted 59 times with a runner on 3rd and less than two outs. He drove the runner in 28 times (47.5%). Betancourt in 09 and 10 came up 73 times with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 out. He drove in the run 50 times (68.4%). True Cameron walked in that situation more but also struck out a lot. Getting a bat on the ball matters in some situations, when as the case will be with Betancourt, when your hitting down in the lineup in front of the 8th and 9th hitters. That's where his value lies. Now it doesn't make him a great or even good player, but it does add something positive.

Yes Cameron was a very good defender and much needed on a staff of flyball pitchers. Betancourt's defensive shortcomings will be negated somewhat with a pitching staff dominated by strikeout/flyball arms.

Briggs, sometimes I swear you throw out stats you know others will consider irrelevant or that are based on extremely small sample sizes just to get a rise out of people. I wouldn't go so far as to call it trolling because I think you actually believe some of the things you throw out there; but its not far from it.

Briggs, sometimes I swear you throw out stats you know others will consider irrelevant or that are based on extremely small sample sizes just to get a rise out of people. I wouldn't go so far as to call it trolling because I think you actually believe some of the things you throw out there; but its not far from it.
Trolling or near-trolling? Wow. That seems both harsh and absurd.

Briggs discusses solid ideas, usually w/ good thought behind them. Just because his responses or perspectives don't align with how you'd approach the topic/issue hardly makes his points invalid, irrelevant, or inflammatory.

Two years is a solid sample size even given the relative infrequency of certain circumstances (like runner on 3rd, <2 outs) compared to others (PAs in a season or ABs vs. RH SPs). What Briggs cited were about as relevant as the circumstances could be, and he had legit figures to back them up. Because those aren't the types of instances w/ 500 or 2,500 occurrences over a couple-year span hardly renders his argument invalid. If someone can't cite those stats, are they simply not allowed to disagree?

I'll hop back to Logan's point, kind of, about having a decent stock of OF options, however low-experience- & low-pay-heavy that stock is. Ultimately, I'm not sure there's a great need for the type of OF bench production Kotsay's had in recent years (except his good PH BA). But I would like to see a little more experienced depth in the IF.

I'd tend to agree that Counsell & probably Gamel will end up the IF reserves. But I also just noticed the MLBtraderumors.com note about several teams interested in Aaron Miles. However the roster ends up, I'd really hope to see a nice collection of productive bats available off the bench. Miles' power factors are typical of a middle IF, but the guy hits at a career .280-ish clip (did last year, too, in a mostly-reserve role), and the more guys who can do that, the better.

Gamel can probably bring more to the Brewers than Kotsay at this point. Kotsay would have to hit better than .335/.414/.749(Gamel's MLB numbers so far which Gamel can better) to even be a consideration. RF and LF are locked up and baring injury both will probably start 155ish games. Gomez and Dickerson will give good production out of CF. That pretty much leaves only a handful of at bats for the 5th outfielder. If either corner guy gets hurt Gamel is likely to come up and start. Unless we are talking about a guy who can put up starter like numbers I don't think it even pays to consider another outfielder. Let's be honest, a guy who can start will not want to play for ther Brewers except maybe in CF because there is no playing time available. So in my opinion any looking into corner outfielders is rather pointless.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived