Brewer Fanatic

Angels trade Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera to Jays for Vernon Wells and $5M; Blue Jays trade Napoli to Rangers for Francisco and cash

trwi7

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Angels take on that entire contract, this has to be one of the best moves in baseball history. The Wells deal has been panned as one of the top 5 worst signings ever. Up until this point the contract was widely regarded as the most untradeable contract in the league. To dump that deal and get a serviceable bat in return in Napoli and potentially Juan Rivera as well, both will equal out to a total of $11.35 million this year tops (which I don't believe would need to be carried past this year) and move $86 million in return is absolutely amazing. Props to Alex Anthopolous for this move.

I like Napoli's bat, but only a 24% CS rate for his career, and iirc he's not regarded as being good at anything in terms of defense. I think I'd still make the trade, though, esp. in Toronto's position.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow, didn't see this one coming. I can't see how this makes any sense for the Angels. Wells is a nice player but he's made a killing off his supposed elite 5-tool talent. He's almost under life-time prospect status. Every year since he's been like 19, I've heard about how he's the next big thing and he's going to have his break out season. Don't get me wrong he's a good player, but for an organization I thought was pretty smart I just lost some respect for the Angels on this one.

I also agree with Joepepsi on this one. I never really understood why Napoli didn't start on a more regular basis. I know he's not much of a catcher, but the guy has proven he can hit ML pitching at a pretty good clip.

Wow, if the Angels get no money in this deal, they just got completely fleeced. Horrible deal for them that makes little sense. Doesn't seem like anything more than just trying to make a splash, because they struck out on all the big free agents this year. Terrific deal for the Jays though.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Is Wells's contract in Canadian or American dollars?

Clever, but considering 1 USD = .995ish CAD I don't think it matters http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Also, it appears the Jays are getting Juan Rivera as well and while I'm not sure of his contract I think it's around 5 mil. Deal seems pretty good for the Jays.

I simply cannot fathom how HORRIBLE this trade is. Wells is owed $86 million. Alex Anthopoulos deserves a contract extension just for getting rid of Wells without trading any money. Napoli and Rivera were nice pickups, but nothing beats getting rid of all that cash.

Breakdown of Wells remaining contract:

2011: $23 million

2012: $21 million

2013: $21 million

2014: $21 million

..................For a platoon player. Wow.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

The report I read this morning has Wells going to the Angels and the Angels paying his entire salary. An incredible deal for the Blue Jays, who must feel they can finally breathe after being relieved of every dollar of Wells and Rios's contracts.

I simply cannot fathom how HORRIBLE this trade is. Wells is owed $86 million. Alex Anthopoulos deserves a contract extension just for getting rid of Wells without trading any money. Napoli and Rivera were nice pickups, but nothing beats getting rid of all that cash.

Breakdown of Wells remaining contract:

2011: $23 million

2012: $21 million

2013: $21 million

2014: $21 million

..................For a platoon player. Wow.

Wells isn't a platoon player. He's not worth close to those numbers but he did have a bounce back year in 2010. By sending Napoli who figured to get around $6 million in arby and Rivera who is owed a little over $5 million, Wells' net cost this year is around $12 million. Both Napoli and Rivera are FA after this year. They are betting that Wells continues his comeback and returns to elite status. They wanted an extra OF so they could move Abreu to DH. With $27 millon for Abreu and Hunter off the books after 2012, they had the money to overspend. Considering their lack of success in FA market, it's not so surprising.

Where does this rank on the list of worst recent trades? This is absolutely horrendous. Napoli may well be just as valuable as Wells over the next couple years, even if his defense is as brutal as some say. Rivera probably isn't worth his $5.25 million next year, but seriously??? This is absolutely asinine, if true.

On a side note, the Jays seem to be pretty awesome at unloading their bad contracts. First Alex Rios and now Vernon Wells.

I'm thinking a Mike Trout for Randy Wolf trade sounds pretty good right now.

Money aside Wells is a very good defender whose leg issues may be helped playing more on grass. Given the team got an base at a measly 311 clip and slugged .390 last season I think his bat will be welcome as well.

Yes it is a bad deal value wise but sometimes even bad deals can lead to more wins.

That said I'm glad it isn't the Brewers who did it. Even if money wasn't an issue.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

They are betting that Wells continues his comeback and returns to elite status. They wanted an extra OF so they could move Abreu to DH. With $27 millon for Abreu and Hunter off the books after 2012, they had the money to overspend. Considering their lack of success in FA market, it's not so surprising.

I normally try my best to see things from a GM's perspective, but I just don't see any way this is a good deal. Let's say that the Angels have money to overspend because they wouldn't pay for the extra years for Crawford. Why the need to spend it now for Wells? He's never really been elite. He's had a couple of good-very good years, but not enough of them.

The Angels would have been much better off not making this deal and saving money for next year. They could have saved this money for Fielder or Pujols and been a major contender. And if Fielder and Pujols escape their grasp, I'm going to guess they could have traded for Wells next year, if they really wanted to.

Money aside Wells is a very good defender whose leg issues may be helped playing more on grass.

Last three years he's been -12.9, -16.6 and -6.4 according to UZR. He was good the previous four years but was bad his first two. He's -37.7 in his career. He's not a very good defender, maybe going to grass will help a little, but it's not going to make a huge difference.

I guess Scoisia never really liked Napoli. I love it when teams trade talented players just 'casue they don't like 'em. If Napoli could be adequate at catcher, he's an All Star.
I agree, it is ridiculous, like when the Braves traded away Yunel Escobar to the Blue Jays.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Last three years he's been -12.9, -16.6 and -6.4 according to UZR. He was good the previous four years but was bad his first two. He's -37.7 in his career. He's not a very good defender, maybe going to grass will help a little, but it's not going to make a huge difference.

Considering he was good four consecutive years then suddenly fell off seems to indicate something other than suddenly forgetting how to play defense over the winter one year. I think his leg troubles had something to do with it. Grass and a year removed from those leg issues should do more than a little for him. But get your point. His UZR is bad for his career which should be a warning sign. How does he rate on other defensive metrics?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived