Brewer Fanatic

Soup to Giants on NRI per Haudricourtâ?¦ Latest: Signed by KC to MiLB deal

RockCoCougars
Verified Member
I actually admire the guy. Playing baseball is obviously something he enjoys doing and why not play as long as possible if you enjoy it? I doubt he has any unrealistic expectations about being in the Majors anymore and like you guys said, he's made his money. He's probably doing it because he just enjoys playing the game. Good for him. I'd do the same.
Bingo. I'm guessing he really enjoys mentoring young men as well. He could be a coach if this is the case, but it's one thing to get kids to do what you tell them to do and quite another to get them to do what you show them to do. The latter is hard enough. If he enjoys it and gets paid more than coach then more power to him.

"So here's what you need to do: Throw it waist high with no movement at 87 MPH. Eventually they'll stop hitting homeruns and make an out. Repeat 21 times and you're through 7 innings."

Great advice.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Seriously people? Just because his skills have slipped doesn't mean that he can't teach someone how to pitch. He was no Greg Maddux, but he still logged >2500 IP in the bigs.

Might as well make an avatar with a dog pooping on a picture of Jeff Suppan...

The link below would indicate that Soup still thinks he's good (at least he did coming into the season).

http://www.omaha.com/arti...0110407/SPORTS/704079695

Using the neck excuse again, and dropping the 'several opportunities' and 'cutoff date' in there. Opposing hitters indicate something different (.296 BAA). I think that it's time for him to hang them up. He's making Willie Mays look like Jim Brown right now in context of a guy staying too long.

Seriously people? Just because his skills have slipped doesn't mean that he can't teach someone how to pitch. He was no Greg Maddux, but he still logged >2500 IP in the bigs.

I was insulting him more as a person than as a pitcher. I may have been too oblique about it.

From that article RockCo found:

"but he signed with the Cardinals, moved into the starting rotation and went 3-6 with a solid 3.84 ERA in 7013 innings"

He was quite the workhorse for the Cards last year.

From that article RockCo found:

"but he signed with the Cardinals, moved into the starting rotation and went 3-6 with a solid 3.84 ERA in 7013 innings"

He was quite the workhorse for the Cards last year.

He is exactly who he is- an innings eater.

Maybe he's using his time in AAA to perhaps get lucky and get back to the bigs AND see if he'd really enjoy/like coaching in the minors if he has to work his way to the bigs as a coach/manager?

I don't see the need to knock him. He wants to play...someone will pay him. Nothing wrong with that.

Archived