Brewer Fanatic

Lawrie working out at 3B, expects to be there in spring

More "polite" bitterness from Brett?

Just doesn't know how to reign it in, does he...

Lawrie, who was acquired from the Brewers during the offseason, is attending his first Major League Spring Training. Despite being selected in the first round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft, it's an opportunity he never received in Milwaukee.

"It's a plus for me to be around these guys," Lawrie said while looking around at the Blue Jays' clubhouse. "It's a young club, and for me, I didn't get the opportunity in Milwaukee and I didn't know when it was going to happen over there. I was never told and that was one of the things I didn't really enjoy -- it was poor communication on their part towards me. I wish them luck in the future, but I'm in a new organization now, and I feel pretty comfortable."

The native of Langley, British Columbia, said playing third has been on his mind for awhile and he even requested to make the transition there while in Milwaukee.

"I asked to play it last year a little bit when our team was kind of out of it, but they just shut me down and said, 'No you're not playing there,'" Lawrie said. "I don't really understand why, but obviously they had their reasons. But I'm excited to get over there and keep working on it and get in the best position that I can."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously the feeling was mutual between the player and the organization, otherwise the trade wouldn't have been made. It just ended up that Marcum was a better fit for Milwaukee and Lawrie was a better fit for Toronto. Could it have worked either way? Sure, but Lawrie's path would have had more resistance with the Brewers.

I don't see his quote as classless at all.

I don't see this as being the case at all.

Otherwise wouldn't you have to assume that Odorizzi, Cain, Escobar and Jef....(err...maybe you've got one there) all had attitude problems as well and the organization wasn't a good fit for them?

He was by far our most valuable prospect and we used him to get a #2/3 pitcher. I don't look at it as much more than that.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The Royals faction of prospects probably don't say much because each of their roles in the organization were pretty well defined. Lawrie was the only one who must have wondered where he fit at the ML level since he was blocked by so many people, but also why Milwaukee couldn't give him a clear answer where he was exactly going to fit in.

those quotes all sound pretty reasonable to me and certainly make sense from his perspective, and i personally don't translate them as intending to be at all negative about Milwaukee. he just isn't obligated to be so politically correct about Milwaukee anymore.

with the Blue Jays he has a defined path to the Majors that he really didn't have with us. it's definitely a better move for him.

Milwaukee still doesn't know how Gamel fits in. Lawrie as a 2B was a better fit than at any corner position. We only have one corner opening even next year. Unless McGehee, Braun, Hart or Gamel fall completely on their faces there wouldn't have been a corner opening until after 2013.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Otherwise wouldn't you have to assume that Odorizzi, Cain, Escobar and Jef....(err...maybe you've got one there) all had attitude problems as well and the organization wasn't a good fit for them?

He was by far our most valuable prospect and we used him to get a #2/3 pitcher. I don't look at it as much more than that.

I'm not seeing how you are getting that Lawrie not being a fit = him having an attitude problem. Him not being a fit was more due to the fact that he was blocked at the position(s) he was playing. Whether he did or didn't have an attitude problem was not the reason that Marcum was a better option for the Brewers at the time, just like Greinke and the prospects they gave up for him.

The Brewers didn't make these trades on the basis of attitudes. They made them to improve the pitching staff.

I stand by my assertion that Lawrie is a complete tool. Why should he get to choose his position? At third base, Gamel (who has proven much more at the minor league level, might I add) is already blocked. If Lawrie is such a 'world class athlete', he should have had no problems playing shortstop. He reminds me of those basketball players who everyone says are one of a kind athletes and 'can jump out of the gym', but seem to always lack a defined position and never amount to much.

RockCoCougars]I stand by my assertion that Lawrie is a complete tool. Why should he get to choose his position? At third base, Gamel (who has proven much more at the minor league level, might I add) is already blocked. If Lawrie is such a 'world class athlete', he should have had no problems playing shortstop. He reminds me of those basketball players who everyone says are one of a kind athletes and 'can jump out of the gym', but seem to always lack a defined position and never amount to much.

My mistake, I did read through it clearly and I combined the negativity toward Lawrie's response with your post.

I don't believe that Lawrie was traded at all because of his future position however. I think the Brewers would have been thrilled to hold onto him and traded any other two prospects(from our current system).

I think it's as simple as he was their best trade chip, they needed pitching. I think it was a bad trade...but in light of the Greinke trade(Which was amazing) I don't have near the problem with it.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Toronto columnist while at Blue Jays' spring training --

MY TAKE: After watching Brett Lawrie smoke line drives to the opposite field, hit jaw-dropping moon-shots to dead centre, and look remarkably comfortable picking short hops at third base, it's become obvious that his arrival in Toronto is now a matter of time.

This begs the question: Could that be as soon as Opening Day? Wisdom suggests Lawrie needs more seasoning in the minors, and that easing him in to big league baseball as a September call-up is a safer route.

But there's a catch. Though he hasn't said so publicly, there's a feeling Anthopoulos really wants Jose Bautista back in right field. That, it seems, would require moving an outfielder, which is why you've already heard about the reported desire to trade Juan Rivera.

Lawrie is refreshingly confident. Not arrogant; confident. It's a swagger not seen in this clubhouse in some time. He'll tell you, straight-faced, that he has every intention of making the club. A true rookie starting at third is not unprecedented in Toronto (Eric Hinske). Will you see it again this year? That's a question Lawrie seems empowered to answer himself.

Lawrie is refreshingly confident. Not arrogant; confident. It's a swagger not seen in this clubhouse in some time

Dang, that's hilarious...... Lawrie makes Rush Limbaugh look self-effacing

Is that what you think when people say that about Braun?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think it's pretty fair to say that there is a noticeable segment of the population on this site that will root against any prospect traded so the Brewers "win" the trade. As I find that manner of trade evaluation to be extremely superficial, I find those sentiments to be petty and easily dismissible..

That's just not my way. If I like a guy, I'll continue to root for him regardless of where he ends up. Then again, I didn't particularly care for LaPorta because I found his blog extremely transparent, every time he wrote or was interviewed he just rubbed me the wrong way, not to mention the stories fans and former team management shared about him. However, I'm a fan of the Cleveland organization for a couple of reasons, but mostly because they treated a former player extremely well who has gone out of his way to support my family and the football program. Since they took care of one of our own, I naturally want to see them do well, and part of that is hoping that LaPorta becomes a better than average hitter for their organization. Not because I care for the player, bur because I want to see the organization do well.

Obviously I've followed the minor leagues closely and over the years I've developed an affinity for the way some other organizations do business, so I'm not just a Brewer fan. I'm rather indifferent about Lawrie as a person, but as a player he was one of a very select few in our minor league system that had the potential to be something special, and since I happen to like what Toronto's new regime has done, I'll follow his career with passing interest.

As for the rest of the conversation, I don't think Brett was off the mark with anything he said, he didn't fit anywhere for the Brewers in the short term, so then logically Toronto is a better opportunity for him. It's that simple... In another organization Gamel could have been getting a MLB paycheck for at least 2 full seasons by now, any competitor is going to want the opportunity to actually compete. Regardless, I really don't see the distinction between Lawrie and Braun, they both talk and carry themselves exactly the same way. If Braun's confidence didn't rub you the wrong way when he was coming through the system or as a rookie, then Lawrie shouldn't bother you either. If Lawrie turns out to be a similar player to Braun he won't be seen as a jerk, he'll just be confident in his abilities, success between the lines has a funny way of changing perceptions...

edit. Geez, I typed this post between games of HQ in COD so it took me most of the night and now I see that TLB beat me to the Braun punch... and here I thought I was going to add something new to the discussion. Sorry TLB.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

As said before, it's really hard to hate on Lawrie for being arrogant, etc and then support Braun. They're very similar people in demeanor.

I can tell you, that if Braun was not on the team I support, I would probably hate him. But, he's on my team, so I enjoy his ego. It makes things fun and pisses off the Cardinals.

He sure seems like he's a tool, but if he's swinging the lumber at the major league level this year, does it really matter?

I would most likely be a jerk, too, if people had been talking about me as if I were the next Ted Williams since I was in middle school.

I don't think you can compare Braun and Law Dog. Braun shows arrogance and backs it up. It's usually in a subtle way, bat flip, stare, etc. I don't think there are too many players out there that bother me that do that (unless they are on the Vikings or something). PrinceEatMeat summed it up perfectly with the picture and comment, he's a choad hammer. Now I think the problem is that he's coming right from high school. It's not an excuse but it shows you he's immature right now. There are plenty of guys that have come out right from high school that know they are going to be pros and know they have to act a certain way (Bryce Harper).

I have no problem with players being arrogant as long as they back it up. They have to know that the more they put themselves in the spotlight the more they are going to hear it from opposing fans. If they are fine with it and they aren't disrecpecting their teamates and coaches then go on wichya bad self. Competition between the lines makes people do silly things and that's ok. Just be a pro off the field!

I really hope that Marcum ends up being really good so we don't have to worry about what Lawrie does. I personally am glad he's on another team. Would I have put up with him on our team if he was killing it, yes. But my opinion of him right now is not a good one.

I won't quote my reply, but the picture above sealed my deal in thinking that Lawrie is a tool. As far as his quotes go, what exactly has he done to be so arrogant? Not much at the pro level- certainly not enough to be able to choose his position.

It's actually kind of funny to me how strong the anti-Lawrie sentiment is in this thread. The guy is what he is, a baseball player, and a dang good one. I'm pretty confident that just about everyone posting in this thread has done some ridiculous stuff partying in college, hs., whatever, and it just didn't go up on a Facebook page.

This makes Lawrie a tool.

Ultimately, what 'makes' him a tool is this court of public opinion. Please don't confuse this with me standing up for Mr. Character Brett Lawrie, but the amount of vitriol is a little overwhelming, and frankly out of proportion. You don't have to like the guy at all, but I think we'd do better to stop just smearing him since no one here really knows the guy at all. I don't disagree that there have been some matching-up types of reports on his character or lack thereof, but imo Brewerfan is really above this.

And I really don't get why people feel like they need to knock his game, either. The guy is a stud hitting prospect, and could wind up making the Blue Jays as their starting third baseman in his age-21 season. Just because he hasn't posted a .900+ OPS in the minors yet doesn't mean his bat isn't dead serious. For comparison's sake, Ryan Braun was 22 in AA. Give Lawrie two full seasons to repeat that level, and I guarantee you he matches or beats Braun's level of production there.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

And I really don't get why people feel like they need to knock his game, either. The guy is a stud hitting prospect, and could wind up making the Blue Jays as their starting third baseman in his age-21 season. Just because he hasn't posted a .900+ OPS in the minors yet doesn't mean his bat isn't dead serious. For comparison's sake, Ryan Braun was 22 in AA. Give Lawrie two full seasons to repeat that level, and I guarantee you he matches or beats Braun's level of production there.
I need to see it to believe it. Prince absolutely tore up the 'low A' Midwest League at the age of 19. Lawrie was very pedestrian there at the same age. Prince also didn't have the benefit of playing on all of the 'national teams' that the Brewers allowed Lawrie to partake in. If I've learned anything from being a Brewer fan for almost 40 years, it's there is no such thing as a can't miss prospect. Though he may have all the 'physical tools', Lawrie has a long way to go before he should even be mentioned in the same breath as Braun. Frankly, the odds are a lot greater that this guy is going to be a bust than a star. At any rate, he has a ton of growing up to do.

Archived