Brewer Fanatic

Lawrie working out at 3B, expects to be there in spring

in a short interview on milb.com, brett lawrie tells robert emrich:

I've been working out at third -- they've wanted me to play some third. I felt comfortable over there, I think I am going to go into Spring [Training], where third is where I'm going to be put at.

and so the lawrie-position-roulette wheel continues to spin. could make some sense since jose bautista could become a free agent after 2011 and i read somewhere that he hopes to be playing right field in '11. still wish the kid the best, hope for his sake that the old adage 'that bat will play anywhere' works out for him in the end.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, even though Lawrie is gone, I to hope he does well. Seems to have what could be a special bat, just needs to find a spot to play in the field. That said, no matter what Lawrie does I like the trade for Marcum because I think he is going to be very good for the Brewers.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

As long as he's willing to put the work in, I think he could definitely fit at 3B. I assume one reason the Brewers were willing to move him is that he was destined for a corner spot, and the org. already has several of those guys.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 4 weeks later...

Lawrie learns hard way

By Ken Fidlin, Toronto Sun

DUNEDIN — He’s the new kid on the block, and Brett Lawrie is acutely aware that his reputation precedes him.

Part of that reputation is as one of the top prospects in all of baseball, a player who combines power and speed with an intense passion for the game.

The other part has been, at times, as a man-child prone to making some immature choices.

Lawrie arrived from the Milwaukee Brewers in the Shaun Marcum trade, bringing with him some huge potential along with some baggage that he wants to put behind him.

There is, for example, the matter of some ill-advised Facebook pictures that surfaced after the trade, a faux pas he’s ready to own.

“That was a while ago and I take full responsibility for it,” the B.C. native said on Friday. “It’s just part of growing up and it was time for me to grow up a little bit.”

There was also some suggestion that Lawrie balked when the Brewers wanted to send him to the Arizona Fall League, a no-no for a kid less than two years into his career.

“When things aren’t going right, you can get frustrated and I learned that last year,” said Lawrie, not referring to that particular incident but to professional life in general.

“I had some frustrations. I had my good times and my bad times. It’s about trying to keep on that even plane, so that’s what I’m working on going forward — just keeping my head on straight.”

Lawrie is sounding like a kid trying to make the leap into adulthood. He’s already impressed by his new surroundings.

“I feel like I’ve already been welcomed here,” he said. “It seems like a good group of guys. I’m really excited to be here.

“The trade was a very good thing for me. I want the best opportunity for me to play major league baseball. Thankfully, I get to be back home. It’s good for me to get into a new organization and it’s kind of like a fresh start for me. I don’t think Milwaukee was the best fit for me. I wish them luck going forward but I’m happy to be here.”

Milwaukee converted Lawrie from catcher to second baseman and now the Jays are looking at him as a third baseman. That’s fine with Lawrie.

“I expect to just work hard, go about my business and play hard, play the right way and get to know all these guys because I’m going to be with them sooner than later,” he said.

“I like the infield because it really allows me to use my athleticism. I think if I was behind the plate, it would eventually take away from my speed.

“There are guys like Johnny Mac (veteran infielder McDonald) and Aaron Hill who have a lot of experience and have been around the game a long time. I’ll just try to pick their brains and learn some things along the way.”

Yeah, even though Lawrie is gone, I to hope he does well. Seems to have what could be a special bat, just needs to find a spot to play in the field. That said, no matter what Lawrie does I like the trade for Marcum because I think he is going to be very good for the Brewers.

I just bought my Marcum jersey yesterday!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What were these Facebook pics all about? I don't remember that.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I hope Lawrie busts. He has no reason whatsoever to disrespect the Brewers organization.

"It’s good for me to get into a new organization and it’s kind of like a

fresh start for me. I don’t think Milwaukee was the best fit for me. I

wish them luck going forward but I’m happy to be here."

Yeah, totally disrespectful

That's the only thing I could see from that article that could be (mis-)construed as him 'disrespecting' the Brewers. The Brewers have guys at corner infield & outfield that will be around for several more seasons, so Lawrie's right that a different organization without as many guys blocking him is a better fit.

I hope Lawrie busts. He has no reason whatsoever to disrespect the Brewers organization.

"It’s good for me to get into a new organization and it’s kind of like a

fresh start for me. I don’t think Milwaukee was the best fit for me. I

wish them luck going forward but I’m happy to be here."

Yeah, totally disrespectful

That's the only thing I could see from that article that could be (mis-)construed as him 'disrespecting' the Brewers. The Brewers have guys at corner infield & outfield that will be around for several more seasons, so Lawrie's right that a different organization without as many guys blocking him is a better fit.

Sorry, but he comes off to me as a complete tool. First he whines about catching, then he whines about playing 2nd- too lazy to show up in the fall to work on his game- I guess that he was too busy posing for his shirtless facebook pictures. What has he done to earn the stature to be able to dictate when and where he plays? Not much, if you look at his stats- and the '2nd youngest player in his league' or whatever excuse is going to be rendered moot in a year or two. Prince tore up the Midwest League when he was 19, Lawrie was slightly above average- I guess all the 'national team' experience didn't help much. I'll bet dollars to donuts that he ends up in a corner outfield position at some point, and if that's the case he had better develop a power stroke, the 1 HR/54 PA ratio he's had thus far in the minors isn't going to get the job done.

Sorry, but he comes off to me as a complete tool. First he whines about catching, then he whines about playing 2nd- too lazy to show up in the fall to work on his game- I guess that he was too busy posing for his shirtless facebook pictures.

I don't disagree that he's come off as & been reported to be a complete tool. But he didn't slam the org. in that interview, and I honestly don't remember him whining about changing postitions. He wanted to start at C since he thought he could fast-track to the bigs that way, and then decided to switch to 2B since I assume he realized he wasn't going to make it at C. I understand if people don't like him, I just don't think it's fair to the kid to say he's disrespecting the organization. He's been pretty classy about the whole trade imo.

I don't disagree that he's come off as & been reported to be a complete tool. But he didn't slam the org. in that interview, and I honestly don't remember him whining about changing postitions. He wanted to start at C since he thought he could fast-track to the bigs that way, and then decided to switch to 2B since I assume he realized he wasn't going to make it at C. I understand if people don't like him, I just don't think it's fair to the kid to say he's disrespecting the organization. He's been pretty classy about the whole trade imo.
Point taken. His words weren't very strong, but I have more of a problem with his actions. That said, the comments about 'frustrations' and Milwaukee 'not being a fit', don't seem to make much sense because I've seen no evidence that the organization hasn't supported him 100%. From what I've read, this kid needs an attitude adjustment, and he's got to be ready to bust his butt to live up to his prospect status. I'll cut him some slack because of his age, but I'm glad he was able to be flipped for Marcum.

That said, the comments about 'frustrations' and Milwaukee 'not being a fit', don't seem to make much sense because I've seen no evidence that the organization hasn't supported him 100%.

I don't think whether the org. supported him or not is either called into question or relevant. Like I said, I took the "[not] the best fit" comment to be related to MIL personnel, and I think Brett is right in that sense.

Imo you really have to be searching for how to blame the guy to take his quip about "frustrations" to be more than just normal commentary.

And while I appreciate that anyone can be skeptical about a prospect, there have been very, very few questions about Lawrie's bat thus far. I think he's definitely going to hit at the MLB level, and for his sake & TOR's, I hope he can stick at 3B. If he has to move to corner OF or 1B, I think he's definitely going to have the bat for it.

Marcum hasn't thrown a single pitch in the organization, so I think it's way to early to say that he'll be very good. Who knows.. he may bust.

Lawrie has all the tools to be a very good player with the chance to impact the Jays organization for a long time. But he may bust.

I find it a bit unnerving that people jump down players throats when they are revealed to be jerks. They have been babied probably since their early teens, they have a bunch of money and haven't matured yet. I'm sure just about all our players are probably jerks in real life as well, we simply turn a blind eye to their actions because they are our jerks.

That said, the comments about 'frustrations' and Milwaukee 'not being a fit', don't seem to make much sense

Obviously the feeling was mutual between the player and the organization, otherwise the trade wouldn't have been made. It just ended up that Marcum was a better fit for Milwaukee and Lawrie was a better fit for Toronto. Could it have worked either way? Sure, but Lawrie's path would have had more resistance with the Brewers.

I don't see his quote as classless at all.

sgtcluels]I find it a bit unnerving that people jump down players throats when they are revealed to be jerks. They have been babied probably since their early teens, they have a bunch of money and haven't matured yet. I'm sure just about all our players are probably jerks in real life as well, we simply turn a blind eye to their actions because they are our jerks.

I think the jerks are the minority on all teams, they just end up getting a lot of media because of the way they behave. Pro sports can be pretty humbling for a player especially baseball where you tend to hit failure in at least one aspect of the game before you even reach the top levels and have to fight through it.

I don't have any big issue with what Lawrie said. I don't think he was being vindictive against the Brewers with his comments.

That said, I agree with those that don't really care what happens with him at this point. It would be different if he had been traded in the division or something. Being that he's playing for Toronto now, his fate isn't going to affect the Brewers too much for the foreseeable future.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

That said, I agree with those that don't really care what happens with him at this point. It would be different if he had been traded in the division or something. Being that he's playing for Toronto now, his fate isn't going to affect the Brewers too much for the foreseeable future.
It's funny because I actually find myself rooting for LaPorta and Brantley on the Indians. I don't know if it's because I was so appreciative of what CC did here in the 4 months he pitched that I want Cleveland to reap some reward as well. I remember reading on BF that LaPorta was reportedly a bit of an immature punk too. If Marcum has even something of 25% of CC, I could see myself pulling for Lawrie.

Lawrie's issue to me is only that I would like to think I would be smarter than having a personal Facebook with Edward40Hands photos when the whole world is watching. I don't condemn his actions as we have all done stupid/hilarious things like that as 20 year olds and if he hadn't posted them undoubtedly one of his friends would have. But his friend's Facebook would be a lot harder to track down than Lawrie's own.

I just would hope that his millions of dollars would have bought him a little more common sense but this isn't a perfect world.

Archived