Brewer Fanatic

Gil Meche to retire

GAME05

Disappointing...I remember meeting Meche when he was on the T-Ratts...

It was a T Ratt bandana give away day and I was getting autographs (I was a kid). The drill was to give the bandana to the player and turn around so they could use your back to support the bandana while signing it...

Meche was the next guy up...and I left that day with a Gil Meche autograph on the back of my white Bucks t-shirt. He must not have been in the know. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Good luck to Gil!

I park 8 blocks away just to avoid parking meters and Gil Meche is giving up $12 million by choice. This is a classy move that won't often be duplicated.
That's for sure. We didn't even get that thank you ad in the paper that some said we would get from the 'class act' Jeff Suppan.

We didn't even get that thank you ad in the paper that some said we would get from the 'class act' Jeff Suppan.
i hope you're being sarcastic.
Not at all. I remember some people thought that Soup would come through with such a gesture......go back to the thread regarding his release.

If only Soup would have done this last year at this time.

Meche realized he couldn't perform at a major league level and to take the Royals money was wrong. How rare is that in today's world? Kudos to him. Suppan on the other hand had no qualms about taking Brewers money even though he couldn't perform at a major league level either.

Yeah, the difference is that Meche had injuries and would have required surgery to fix. Suppan's skills were declining, but he was still healthy. Can't really fault him for trying in 2010. If anything, fault the Brewers for putting him in the rotation again to start the season when it was obvious Chris Narveson was a better option out of Spring Training.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

We didn't even get that thank you ad in the paper that some said we would get from the 'class act' Jeff Suppan.
i hope you're being sarcastic.
Not at all. I remember some people thought that Soup would come through with such a gesture......go back to the thread regarding his release.

BOOOO! Good riddance you bum!

Hey, where's our thank you letter?

BOOOOOOOO!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

RockCoCougars wrote:

Let's say you work for a boss who is becoming extremely rude to you about your work performance. Then he fires you. Do you send him a thank you letter?

I didn't expect any thank you letter from Suppan.... it was other people. Those ads are played out and fake P.R. anyway. I would have appreciated if he'd have at least came out and said, 'I didn't get the job done' or basically 'I sucked' like Gagne did, instead of the 'things didn't work out as I hoped' cliche. As for his performance in Milwaukee, I'll just say he deserved every boo and catcall that he received. It comes with the territory when you are the highest paid player on the team and your performance is brutal. Suppan was lucky he was playing in Milwaukee and not New York or Philly- he wouldn't have been able to leave the house. Not to say that I wouldn't have done the same thing that Soup did, but it's refreshing to see someone take the high road and walk away from money like Meche is doing here.

Players like Suppan aren't usually the ones to buy the ad in the newspaper to say thanks to the fans. They are usually long term players with the team or players who shared some success with the team and the fans. Soup doesn't fit into any of those categories.

His work in the community speaks to what kind of person he is.

Archived