Brewer Fanatic

Cubs trade Gorzelanny to Nationals for 3 Prospects

Funketown

Cubs receive Graham Hicks, a 20 year old lefty starter who has put up some decent numbers in low A, as well as A.J. Morris, a 24 year old starter who put up around a 3.6 FIP in 70 or so A+ innings last year, and Michael Burgess, who OPS'd just under .800 in 400 AA at bats last year.

I can't give more of a scouting report than that, so maybe someone else here can.

Oh jeesh, great trade for the Cubs....I actually have seen Burgess a couple times in the minors and he has a great chance of breaking through and being a power hitter

I completely disagree. With all due respect to Randy Wells, Carlos Silva, Jeff Samardzija etc., Gorzelanny was their 4th best starter in my opinion and only lefty.

Burgess has power, but has plenty of holes as evidenced by his mediocre .257 lifetime BA. He's enough of a prospect to be a trade chip for them down the road but he's not that close to being an impact major leaguer.

This just through me for a loop.

Just read in the Daily Herald that the Cubs signed Gorzelanny to a 1 yr deal yesterday.
Then I read this that he was traded yesterday.
Wondering what funketown was smokin'

Then went to cubs.com and apparently he was traded while he was being signed.

Wierd. Yeah I'd say this is most definitely a futures deal. Kind of ambivelant about it.

Archived