Brewer Fanatic

Team by team analysis of Fielder free agency options

It's a depressing thought, but I think there's a really good chance Prince could wind up signing with the Cubs. Wrigley is perfect for him, and they'll have the cash & position available. Plus Prince would know he'd be playing defense if he signed with a NL club.

From the MLBTR list of teams, BAL, LAA, LAD, CHC, & NYM are the teams to which I'd narrow the field... my gut says to go even further to just LAD/CHC/NYM since I think Prince will want to play 1B instead of DHing. But he's the kind of bat for which teams would restructure plans, so who knows? Pretty hard to predict at this point, but there's just something about the Cubs that stands out for me (sadly).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Since the original Fielder thread called "Team by team analysis of Fielder trade partners" seems to have run its long course, and because it focused on trade and what the Brewers could require in return, the initial post in this new thread now allows us to discuss Prince in a more realistic way.

While it's true that he could be dealt at midseason, that doesn't seem very plausible given the Brewers new rotation with its abiity to stay in the race, so we'll close down the old girl and have folks focus on this "new" topic.

If folks are so convinced it's the Cubs, then the Brewers would in an odd way hurt themselves (at least in relation to the Fielder sweepstakes) if they swamped Chicago in their season series. If the Cubs finish with the 16th best record in baseball or worse, the Brewers would gain their 2nd round pick and not their 1st round pick. And with the way supplemental first round "sandwich" picks are passed out these days, the difference between getting a 1st and 2nd round pick is huge.

So root for the Cubs to have exactly the 15th best record in baseball (or better). Personally, I see it as Orioles / Cubs / Mets / Dodgers in that order, so the Dodgers having a decent season is actually the best the Brewers can hope for in terms of the combination of draft pick positioning and having Prince out of the division. Fans will likely be unenthused about the compensation award regardless.

Prince simply needs to monster-mash his way to a Brewers' guaranteed playoff berth in 2011, and then we'll have fun watching a team adjustment made in 2012. Have faith.

The new Cubs owner is more concern with making money then winning baseball. I don't see them shelling out the cash for Prince. If Prince just wants the cash he goes to the O's. If he really wants to win it's down to the Brewers, Angels, Rangers and Dodgers

While the Cubs' payroll probably won't increase much year-to-year under the new ownership, they do have a ton of money coming off the books after this season, and even more the next year IIRC. They'd be able to fit him into their budget without increasing their overall payroll all that much.

I do agree that right now the Cubs seem to be the most logical landing spot, but that's mostly because they've intentionally left the position open for next season. I guess I could see someone like the Angels being interested in him as a DH, but as the MLBTR post notes, they have a bad history with Boras and always seem to come up in 2nd place in free agency signings. I can't see the Mets giving up on Ike Davis for him, the Dodgers' future will always be cloudy thanks to the ownership divorce until the McCourts sell the team, and the O's might throw a big offer at him but part of me thinks the Teixeira offer a couple years ago was a one-time exception given his Maryland ties.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Anybody have an idea of the numbers being thrown around right now?

I hate the Cubs as much as anyone here, but unless Fielder is willing to take a big discount to stay in the NL, the Cubs will probably have to overpay for him. As a player with a bad glove and a weight problem, who will probably be 27-33 over the course of his next contract, he would be much more valuable to an AL club. If the Cubs are dumb enough to give Fielder Teixera or near-Teixera money (like 7/$150 or 8/$160), I'm not going to be heart-broken. Of course it would absolutely suck to watch Prince in a Cubs uni, but if it means the Cubs handcuffing themselves down the road a few years, it might be worth it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Right now, Cubs and Baltimore are the teams that really fit for Fielder.

I think Baltimore is the best fit. He'd crush at Camden - a great field for left handers. And they have some good young pitching coming up, so they appear to be on track to making some noise. Of course, it's the AL East, and all the teams look pretty good, so he might not want to play for a 'losing' franchise - even if they have some promise.

The Cubs could use him desperately. They need a left handed power bat, they'll have a hole at 1B (assuming Pena is gone after 1 year), and I don't think they have any big bats coming up through the system at this time. And they'll have the money available.

Based on what Prince has said in the past here is what I am seeing as his main priorities in the order of importance to him:

1. Biggest $ contract. This will trump anything else
2. Still wants to play 1B. He seems to think that he has a good glove and doesn't want to DH
3(distant). Play for a winner

If items 1&2 fall into place 3 will just be gravy for him. This is why I make the Cubs the frontrunners for Prince's services. It seems like most everyone on this board is aligned with their thinking on his potential destination. Also - is it totally outrageous to consider the Giants as a potential dark horse?

As I read through this, I was giong to post pretty much exactly what honuswagner21 said. The first and most important factor will be the biggest contract thrown out there. If there are two similar contracts, the second factor for Prince will be going to a team that will play him at 1B. Of course, this would be guaranteed by going to an NL team.

As much as I dislike the thought, I think the Cubs are a very likely destination. I also wouldn't dismiss the possibility that the Nationals make a big run at him. They certainly seem to think that getting a couple high-priced superstars is more important than having good players at every position.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

As I read through this, I was giong to post pretty much exactly what honuswagner21 said. The first and most important factor will be the biggest contract thrown out there. If there are two similar contracts, the second factor for Prince will be going to a team that will play him at 1B. Of course, this would be guaranteed by going to an NL team.
I agree that money will be the number one factor for Scott Boras Prince when he decides where to go and in my eyes that means an AL team. The fact that the DH exists in the AL means that an AL team can offer more years knowing that they can eventually push Prince to this non-fielding position. The Orioles for instance can promise to play Prince at first, knowing the whole while that he can be moved to DH if his body starts to give or they find a bettter cheaper 1B alternative. Part of the reason I don't want the Brewers to be too competitive in the Prince signing is that I don't like the idea of a 35 year old Fielder at first.

I'm not sure why everyone is assuming the Mets are in on Fielder. I guess I could see them breaking the bank for Pujols, but Ike Davis seems like the 1st baseman of the future in NY.

The only really good fits are Baltimore and Chicago. LAD doesn't have the money, LAA has Kendry Morales and hates Scott Boras, Toronto has Adam Lind/Travis Snider/Jose Bautista (and his long term deal), and the Giants have Aubrey Huff and Brandon Belt.

I'm starting to wonder if the minimal amount of teams who can really offer Fielder and the concerns over Fielder's body type could make him the "new Adam Dunn". Remember when Dunn was looking for a $100 M and got 2 years $20 M or so? Fielder will do better than that, but would it surprise you that much if he doesn't see a $120 M offer?

I agree that some AL teams may offer the most money, knowing that they can move Prince to DH, but Prince really seems to be the type that wants to prove everyone wrong. I think the fact that he knows an AL team may force him to the DH role may be the one reason Prince would take a little less money to go to the NL. If the monitary difference is substantial, he'll almost certainly go with the bigger deal, but if the Orioles offer something like 7 years/$150MM and the Cubs offer 7 years / $145MM, I could see him going to the Cubs so that he'd know he'd never be forced to DH.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I could see the Nationals being a player for Fielder next offseason, and I doubt the recent acquisition of Adam LaRoche will impede their interest. Mike Rizzo has a history with Scott Boras clients, and certainly wasn't afraid to give Jayson Werth the contract he did.

And don't rule out the Yankees, who seem to pursue every big-named free agent. I do agree that the Cubs seem like too good of a fit.

The Brewers could be serious bidders if they are able to unload (ie. young cheap talent in return) Hart, who has 2 yrs, 19 million left after this season and Wolf, who's owed $11 million including his buyout after this year.

I just don't see Fielder getting more than 6/130 myself and he needs a season close to his 09 year to get that.

For the amount of money it would take to re-sign Fielder I don't even want him. I'd much rather put that money towards extending Zach Greinke or Shawn Marcum.
I agree with this.

Question: If Fielder does sign with the Cubs after this season, do you boo him?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

For the amount of money it would take to re-sign Fielder I don't even want him. I'd much rather put that money towards extending Zach Greinke or Shawn Marcum.
I agree with this.

I'm not down with booing, but Prince will definitely be off my Christmas card list.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

No offense but Prince is not going to age well physically. (Think Carlos Lee) So I am definately hoping the Cubs stay the hades away from Pena as his contract is likely to become an albatross and I don't want anything to do with that. If Pena plays well, I rather prefer Pena on a 2/3 year deal over Prince and a potential 6 yr deal.

I agree with this.

I boo the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back. So yes.

I don't see Pujols on the Cubs as a dream scenario. My dream scenario would have Pujols and Fielder playing in the AL, far far away from the Brewers division rivals.

~Bill Walsh

Actually, if Pujols went to the Cubs, it wouldn't hurt the Brewers that much. They'd still be facing him as often as they do now, but on a more incompetent team with poorer ownership. And if he gets hurt or starts to decline (long shot, I know), it could cripple the Cubs for years to come.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Actually, if Pujols went to the Cubs, it wouldn't hurt the Brewers that much. They'd still be facing him as often as they do now, but on a more incompetent team with poorer ownership. And if he gets hurt or starts to decline (long shot, I know), it could cripple the Cubs for years to come.

My thoughts exactly. That contract is going to be huge and the Cubs don't have Yankee money. By the end it will probably be franchise crippling.

Archived