Brewer Fanatic

Ryne Duren 1929-2011

JohnBriggs12
He was famous for his heat and throwing warmup pitches to the screen. He's also a Wisconsin native but unlike what was sloppily reported in the article in the JS, the Milwaukee Braves were not his favorite team as a boy despite the fact he grew up in Wisconsin. The Braves moved to Milwaukee when Duren was 24 years old and already pitching in AA.

He did the same at our high school back in the 80's. I remember him being very friendly and didn't seem to mind talking old-school baseball to a crazy kid like me back in the day. I always held him in high regard for that. He'll be missed.

I met Mr Duren in Madison, in 2003. He spent about half an hour talking to me - he was a warm, pleasant man. Mr Duren's alcoholism once led him to park his car on a train track and wait...as a suicide attempt.

I haven't had a chance to read it, but Mr Duren wrote, "I Can See Clearly Now", about his battles with the bottle.

Archived