Brewer Fanatic

Where is Mat Gamel on Opening Day? Latest News: Optioned to Nashville

RobDeer 45

I like the idea of not starting his service clock for the most part until 2012

His service clock started a couple of years ago when Macha hid him on the bench as the #3 LH bat off the bench. It continued last season when he got injured in ST and accumulated major league service time until he was finally able to play and therefore be optioned to the minors. I do, however, like the idea of not accumulating more MLB service time as a bench player, when he should be a Brewers starter from 2012-2016 if we don't waste more service time this year.

JohnBriggs, I pretty much agree with you. The Brewers are enamored with Kotsay, and if Hart isn't starting in RF (which doesn't look likely), I think Kotsay will be. I don't know which of Almonte/Cruz/Boggs makes the final cut, but we'll need a RH bat off the bench, and Cruz doesn't really qualify, so Almonte could get it. I've heard Katin plays "plus defense" in RF, with a great arm, so I wouldn't think he'd be relegated to full time DH. Maybe more of an OF/DH rotation is in order?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JohnBriggs12[/b]]For those that don't like Kotsay, I'm sorry to point out that not only is he going to make the team, he's probably going to be in RF on opening day in Cincinnati.
If Hart is on the DL to begin this season AND Dickerson makes this team and is not in RF on Opening Day, I will have lost one small iota of confidence in Roenicke.

Kotsay over Dickerson is simply dumb.

JohnBriggs12[/b]]For those that don't like Kotsay, I'm sorry to point out that not only is he going to make the team, he's probably going to be in RF on opening day in Cincinnati.
If Hart is on the DL to begin this season AND Dickerson makes this team and is not in RF on Opening Day, I will have lost one small iota of confidence in Roenicke.

Kotsay over Dickerson is simply dumb.

Totally with you. Kotsay would be a liability in the field compared to Dickerson, and his bat is also no better. Dickerson should definitely get the start, but I doubt he will.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

WTP, while I would rather have Dickerson in RF over Kotsay, it doesn't appear to be what's happening in the ST games I've listened to (which has been most of them). Kotsay is routinely in the lineup in the 3-5 spots, while Dickerson has been down in the order, so it appears they think Kotsay is the better hitter, and Kotsay has been getting a decent number of reps at corner OF, so they think he can play there.

I think Dickerson is slated to get a decent number of starts in CF, and probably has the potential to be our starting CF at some point this season, depending on how things play out. However, I think they'll start Kotsay over him in RF, at least to start the season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

PEM & Monty -

Glad we're all on the same page. I'm telling you guys; Melvin, Ash and Roenicke are looking to find the OF version of Craig Counsell. Kotsay appears to be a wily old super utility OF on the outside, but I don't think he is the wily old vet super utility OF that Counsell is as an IF.

The blessing that Counsell gives us as an IF is a curse when it comes to the OF because it is blinding management to superior players like Dickerson and quite possibly Boggs.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Earlier this spring, Casey McGehee was interviewed by XM radio (not available via archive) and could not have gushed more about Kotsay's fun and influential presence in the clubhouse. This was pretty early in camp.

Just saying, I'm sure management sees it as a factor.

Couldn't we just pay a stand up comic to travel with the team and then fill up the roster spots with the best players available :-)

~Bill Walsh

Earlier this spring, Casey McGehee was interviewed by XM radio (not available via archive) and could not have gushed more about Kotsay's fun and influential presence in the clubhouse. This was pretty early in camp.

Just saying, I'm sure management sees it as a factor.

That is great & wonderful. Seriously. But then keep him as a pinch-hitter with an occasional start. Don't trot him out there on Opening Day over Dickerson if Hart is not available

The blessing that Counsell gives us as an IF is a curse when it comes to the OF because it is blinding management to superior players like Dickerson and quite possibly Boggs.

Don't blame Counsell for what goes on. I'd be shocked if the team didn't have a dead roster spot or two. I assumed when Kotsay was signed that he was pretty much guaranteed a spot. I wonder if Melvin signs guys like him because he has admired and followed them through their careers. Kotsay was a hotshot college player and a top draft pick. Its his chance to have a great player, even for a year. Unfortunately, the Gagnes don't always work out and there is no more "great" left.

Formerly AKA Pete

Don't blame Counsell for what goes on. I'd be shocked if the team didn't have a dead roster spot or two. I assumed when Kotsay was signed that he was pretty much guaranteed a spot. I wonder if Melvin signs guys like him because he has admired and followed them through their careers. Kotsay was a hotshot college player and a top draft pick. Its his chance to have a great player, even for a year. Unfortunately, the Gagnes don't always work out and there is no more "great" left.

I am not blaming Counsell at all. I am saying because of his abilities as a 40 year old super utility IF, the Brewers front office may be giving opportunities and more credence to older players with less ability than younger players with more ability. It's not Counsell's fault. It's the Brewers' front office's fault for thinking Counsell can be cloned with an older utility OF.

Counsell might have something to do with it, but I think it's probably more a combination of the memory of the Chris Duffy / Brad Nelson debacle and the success the team had with Kapler and Diego. By now, we all know the players for which DM has a soft spot - Pitchers who played for Texas, veteran outfielders, Canadians, and that.

For those that don't like Kotsay, I'm sorry to point out that not only is he going to make the team, he's probably going to be in RF on opening day in Cincinnati.
Still catching up in this thread, but I don't think anyone denies that Kotsay will make the team. There are plenty of people, though, who think it wouldn't be the most effective use of a roster spot.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

For those that don't like Kotsay, I'm sorry to point out that not only is he going to make the team, he's probably going to be in RF on opening day in Cincinnati.
Still catching up in this thread, but I don't think anyone denies that Kotsay will make the team. There are plenty of people, though, who think it wouldn't be the most effective use of a roster spot.
That pretty much sums up this whole thread. Lol. Kotsay will be on the team, but we don't want him.

PrinceEatMeat wrote:
That pretty much sums up this whole thread. Lol. Kotsay will be on the team, but we don't want him.

The only hope we have is that it will cost almost as much to keep Kotsay for an entire season given his contract incentives as it would to keep a better player making minimum.

Kotsay has made the team. Roenicke doesn't even mention him as a "Possibility" in this article (linked below). Kotsay is on the team. If Hart has to go on the DL it'll be 2 of Boggs, Reed, or Dickerson, otherwise it'll be just one of them... the last spot will get filled by either Cruz, Almonte or Maysonnet

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/118594274.html

Though it looks like not too big a deal at this point, McGehee's injury got me wondering... what if he was out for 6-8 weeks and Gamel had to be recalled at this point? Would the team have 'wasted' their final option on him? Kind of the same situation with Rogers- I'm not sure why the Brewers make roster cuts so early, they're not mandated by the league or anything (to the best of my knowledge).

Though it looks like not too big a deal at this point, McGehee's injury got me wondering... what if he was out for 6-8 weeks and Gamel had to be recalled at this point? Would the team have 'wasted' their final option on him? Kind of the same situation with Rogers- I'm not sure why the Brewers make roster cuts so early, they're not mandated by the league or anything (to the best of my knowledge).
No, options last for the whole year. You can call-up and send down a player as many times as you want in a year, and it only takes up one option.

No, options last for the whole year. You can call-up and send down a player as many times as you want in a year, and it only takes up one option.
Thanks for the clarification.

to further clarify, the player must be in minor league camp and/or the minor leagues for twenty days for the option burning to be official. if mat gamel were recalled before his twenty days were up and spent the entire year on the major league roster (or major league disabled list), he would enter 2012 with his final option remaining, and his time spent in the minors counting towards major league service time.

so . . . the final options of mat gamel and mark rogers haven't been wasted . . . yet.

Archived