Brewer Fanatic

Where is Mat Gamel on Opening Day? Latest News: Optioned to Nashville

RobDeer 45
Yeah it seems more and more clear everyday that Mat can't play 3B, just move him to 1B/OF already. It is a waste of time to keep playing him at 3B. I would love to keep Gamel around because I think he could be valuable for this team next season when Prince is gone, but if he does have some trade value we could use some rotation depth so I would not be to upset if they pulled the trigger on a trade.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we trade Gamel, we won't necessarily be out of options to replace Fielder anyway. Really, we could even move McGehee or Hart to 1B. Meaning we'd just have to find a 1B, 3B, or RF somewhere. I'm pretty sure we can fill one spot. Although it would be easier to just plug Gamel in at 1B and be done with it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If we trade Gamel, we won't necessarily be out of options to replace Fielder anyway. Really, we could even move McGehee or Hart to 1B. Meaning we'd just have to find a 1B, 3B, or RF somewhere. I'm pretty sure we can fill one spot. Although it would be easier to just plug Gamel in at 1B and be done with it.

I would rather move Braun to 1B. His back and rib area problems are concerning. I hope the Brewers realize this and move Braun to 1B and put Gamel in RF/LF as Hart can be moved to LF or stay in RF. I don't see trading Gamel as an option right now as his stock would be rather low right now. Basically the Brewers are in the same position as the Royals are with Gordon though Gordon is older than Gamel. I am not sure what the Brewers could possibly get by trading Gamel now. The Brewers should just stick it out with Gamel as he isn't hurting anyones development and he isn't costing the team all that much.

I don't think Braun's rib cage/back problems have anything to do with playing OF, nor do I think him playing first base would alleviate them in any way. From what I've read/heard, he works the crap out of his core and from watching him he torques that area so much with his swing. I'm guessing that's where the problem stems from. As far as Gamel goes, I have no idea what to do with the guy. Trade him if you can get anything reasonable I guess

We all know my stance on Gamel...I haven't been to any games or anything, but if he's really becoming lazy and not doing extra work that is very disappointing. That just wasn't the case in the past. He'd be putting in time and was open to moving positions.

And...let's not look at an isolated fact like him talking to an attractive woman and saying he's lazy/not working hard. That's not fair. Maybe he is now lazy and such, but taking one isolated incident just doesn't seem fair. I could say that Greinke is dumb for his injury and that Braun keeps getting hurt he's not getting it either...but to me that's just not fair.

I still wish for the best for Mat, but whether he's now lazy, bad luck, etc. I'm just not sure it's going to happen in Milwaukee. If his attitude lacks right now, he needs to fix that and fix it fast. I don't blame him for being a bit down, but he can't let that show or let that idea live...or else you turn off your fan base real quick.

...and Mark Kotsay moves one roster spot closer to Milwaukee.
Yes and no.

Yes, because it moves him one player closer to the roster. No, because I don't think that roster spot ever included Gamel as an option. If one of Boggs/Dickerson/Reed were optioned, I would be more worried.

All things considered, Kotsay is the equivalent of Craig Counsell without being from Whitefish Bay.

In an earlier blog I cautioned the Gamel groupies to go easy on penciling him into the line up since he hasn't proved himself for any length of time. For that I got hammered from all sides. So much for the sure thing prospect. I still hope he makes it but a prospect is still just a prospect no matter how good we think/hope he is.

Counsell

.250 .322 .319 .640
2010 War: 0

2009 War: 2.8

Solid defense at premium defensive positions (SS & 2B)

Kotsay

.239 .306 .376 .683
2010 War: -.9

2009 War: -.6

Subpar defense at 1B & OF

Kotsay hasn't had a positive WAR since 2005

In addition to the stats, I think a simple smell test indicates that Counsell is the better player.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Counsell

.250 .322 .319 .640
2010 War: 0

2009 War: 2.8

Solid defense at premium defensive positions (SS & 2B)

Kotsay

.239 .306 .376 .683
2010 War: -.9

2009 War: -.6

Subpar defense at 1B & OF

Kotsay hasn't had a positive WAR since 2005

In addition to the stats, I think a simple smell test indicates that Counsell is the better player.

This and the Whitefish Bay ties are all I was going to go off of to indicate why I personally feel Counsell deserves a spot and not Kotsay. So I am on the same page as you.

FWIW, if he makes this team, I believe Kotsay is going to be Mark Sweeney, pinch hit and never really see the field. Prince plays 160+ games. 2 of Dickerson/Boggs/Reed/Cruz are the 4th and 5th OF. So I base my Kotsay/Counsell comparison solely on offensive statistics. When those factored against Counsell, I don't see a huge difference.

3Putt[/b]]In an earlier blog I cautioned the Gamel groupies to go easy on penciling him into the line up since he hasn't proved himself for any length of time. For that I got hammered from all sides. So much for the sure thing prospect. I still hope he makes it but a prospect is still just a prospect no matter how good we think/hope he is.
What the heck are you talking about? Nobody here has penciled him in the lineup anywhere this year. Them moving him down to AAA to work on 1B makes it more likely he will be our 1B next year. Before Kotsay was signed and Gamel was injured there were some people who thought he would get a bench spot. From some of Macha's quotes it sounded like Gamel was going to make the team last year in some capacity so it is very reasonable to think Gamel would make the team on the bench this year. Unless you are talking about back when we still thought Fielder would be traded. I don' think anybody thought Gamel would play ahead of any of Hart, Braun, Fielder or McGehee.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

This is the third straight year he could have made the team but injuries in March kill. I think it is a great move but would still like to see him play some OF to give team more flexiblity with him this season if someone goes down. There is no question about his bat. He is a major league hitter and the best possible bat that could be brought up if an injury occurs. Only problem is if he is limited to just first, a Prince Fielder injury would be the only way for him to get the call outside of interleague play. Still should get other reps in LF, RF, and even 3rd in case McGehee goes down. Overall though guy will be 26, he is really almost out of the prospect catagory and needs to get some legit major at bats if we are to depend on him if Prince leaves.

In an earlier blog I cautioned the Gamel groupies to go easy on penciling him into the line up since he hasn't proved himself for any length of time. For that I got hammered from all sides. So much for the sure thing prospect. I still hope he makes it but a prospect is still just a prospect no matter how good we think/hope he is.

"I told you so" would have been easier.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

For those that don't like Kotsay, I'm sorry to point out that not only is he going to make the team, he's probably going to be in RF on opening day in Cincinnati.

Kotsay was as assured of a roster spot as Counsell the day he was signed to a major league deal. If Counsell's secure despite hitting .186 this spring (and he is), then Kotsay certainly is hitting .324. You can toss out all the negative WAR stats you want, but Kotsay is the guy they wanted and he's on the team.

As for Almonte, he's not as secure as Kotsay who has 1,654 major league hits to Almonte's 28, but he's got an inside track as the primary RH bench bat. Hitting .414/.433/.672 will get attention, even in Arizona where hitting stats are inflated. He's not going to be counted on to play the field much, but he'll be able to spell McGehee if needed.

I would suspect Katin will be the primary DH in Nashville in 2011. The Nashville OF will include Brandon Jones, the newly acquired Carroll, Caleb Gindl, and either Dickerson, who has an option, or Reed depending on which of those two makes the Brewer roster. Gamel will play 1st. Farris will play 2nd. Maysonet will play SS. Wheeler will play 3B. Rivera and Maldonado will split the catching duties there.

Archived