Brewer Fanatic

Where is Mat Gamel on Opening Day? Latest News: Optioned to Nashville

RobDeer 45
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he's a player in waiting. Next year Mat will be the 3rd baseman as I think they'll have to move McGehee because of that chronic knee to 1st. I think Mat would be the better choice a 1st base long term if he hits, but I just don't trust McGehee's health.

I don't know about that, Tbadder. I think some people might be making more of a big deal about McGehee's knees than is needed. Also, I almost get the sense that the team has abandoned the idea of Gamel ever being at the hot corner. I think he'll be playing 1B in 2011 for the Brewers, or in RF with Hart moving to 1B.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I just hope the Brewers keep him in AAA playing whatever position the Brewers want him to play at the MLB level in 2012. Right now, it doesn't sound like he's MLB-ready at any position.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

And last year when he tore his lat by not warming up properly before hitting? How long do you have to play baseball before you figure out what it takes to get loosened up to swing a bat? I saw him in January. He didn't appear to be in much of any kind of shape.

Looks like Haudricourt claimed another victim.

And last year when he tore his lat by not warming up properly before hitting? How long do you have to play baseball before you figure out what it takes to get loosened up to swing a bat? I saw him in January. He didn't appear to be in much of any kind of shape.

That's hilarious. I can see with my own eyes. I don't need a journalist to tell me what I saw. Not to mention Gamel himself admitted that's how he got hurt last ST - not warming up properly.

GormanHarvey[/b]]
GormanHarvey[/b]]And last year when he tore his lat by not warming up properly before hitting? How long do you have to play baseball before you figure out what it takes to get loosened up to swing a bat? I saw him in January. He didn't appear to be in much of any kind of shape.

That's hilarious. I can see with my own eyes. I don't need a journalist to tell me what I saw. Not to mention Gamel himself admitted that's how he got hurt last ST - not warming up properly.
With your own eyes you were in AZ and saw him the whole morning before he suposedly tore his latissimus dorsi muscle? In that time you never saw him warm up? Or if you did, you know enough about proper stretching and specifically Mat Gamel's body to know that he wasn't warmed up properly? You can also tell that was the exact moment that he tore it even though he said he thought it happend earlier on a throw? Did you see the throw also? Did you talk to him so you know it was actually on the swing? Did you preform an MRI on him after the throw and after the swing or later after the swelling went down?

If you came to all those conclusions on your own without reading Haudricourt good for you, because Andrew McCalvy certainly didn't add his own conclusion when he unbiasedly reported on the situation:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100319&content_id=8843402&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I was referring to when I saw him in January of this year at the On Deck event (which is what I posted earlier in this thread) where he appeared to be less than tip top shape. I was simply saying the guy seems to have a problem getting hurt at the beginning of ST. I have no idea as to the exact circumstances surrounding his injury last spring. I was just taking Gamel at his word. To be quite honest, I had no idea Haudricort had an opinion on him one way or another.Thanks for the condescension though

I was referring to when I saw him in January of this year at the On Deck event (which is what I posted earlier in this thread) where he appeared to be less than tip top shape. I was simply saying the guy seems to have a problem getting hurt at the beginning of ST. I have no idea as to the exact circumstances surrounding his injury last spring. I was just taking Gamel at his word. To be quite honest, I had no idea Haudricort had an opinion on him one way or another.Thanks for the condescension though

Maybe you meant he seems to have a problem getting hurt at St, but you didn't type that. You said:

And last year when he tore his lat by not warming up properly before hitting? How long do you have to play baseball before you figure out what it takes to get loosened up to swing a bat?

In terms of condesension, I would say thats the exact point where it started. But I am glad to see that you didn't just feed off of the bias reporting, that was my main point.

It's an honest question. As far as I knew, he sustained the injury the way I remember him stating it - swinging a bat without being warmed up to do so. Wasn't trying to condescend. Just seems like a silly reason to get hurt at the level he's at. To me, he definitely seems snake bit, or whatever a person could call it

GormanHarvey[/b]]It's an honest question. As far as I knew, he sustained the injury the way I remember him stating it - swinging a bat without being warmed up to do so. Wasn't trying to condescend. Just seems like a silly reason to get hurt at the level he's at. To me, he definitely seems snake bit, or whatever a person could call it
Fair enough, I guess I didn't read it as a question so I shouldn't have been as condescending in my response.

I agree it seems like a silly reason to get hurt at the level he is at, which is why I tend to think Gamel's take is correct in the link I provided. I don't remember Gamel saying he hurt it not warming up (again, he said otherwise in the link previously provided). I remember that take on it coming from Tom's blog which is why I indicated that his bias had effected you. Even if you didn't read it, it seems that information got back to you somehow.

At this point I supose you could say he seems snake bit, but a lot of players get hurt. The timing of it two years in a row now is strange, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

It may have been TH that said it...I really don't remember. I thought Gamel said that originally but I don't remember for sure and I don't feel like trying to look it up. I actually think this is may be 3 spring injuries in a row now?

It was Witrado[/url], who didn't cite any particular source last spring. In fact, here's a reader comment from that blog post:

We don't know if [the statement that Gamel tore his lat because he didn't warm up enough] is true or not. What we know is true is that it's Witrado's opinion, yet he fails to share with his audience how he arrived at it, which would appear to be a hugely important piece of information. Guy sure can be frustrating to read sometimes.

In this blog post where Witrado initially charged that Gamel tore the lat because he didn't loosen up enough, he told readers to check back in tomorrow. There was no blog post with further information the next day.

McCalvy's

initial coverage of the injury didn't include any mention of a

lack of stretching, nor did his

follow-up

the next day.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...

Gamel update:

Third baseman/utility man/hitting prospect Mat Gamel was scheduled to take live batting practice for the first time on Sunday in Minor League camp. If it goes well, he could do it again Monday before slotting into Cactus League games.

Gamel still has a chance to make the team, Roenicke said. But the fact he bats left-handed probably hurts his case -- the Brewers already have Mark Kotsay, Craig Counsell and probably Chris Dickerson slated for bench duty -- and it will be more difficult at this stage of spring for Gamel to demonstrate his defensive versatility because the regulars are playing deeper into games.

"I know he can hit," Roenicke said. "It's just a matter of how he fits on our club."

That last quote from Roenicke isn't the first time he's been complimentary of Mat's offense, which as a Gamel fanboy, I like to hear. Hopefully Mat can get some good reps in at 1B & RF down in Nashville. Ultimately, if Gamel won't be at 3B, I'd like to see him in right & Hart at 1B, since Hart's outfield defense is so shaky.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

To me it is just really disappointing as a Gamel fan. The last three years he has been in a good postition to compete for a roster spot and the third straight year he has gotten hurt and lost that opportunity. I have a feeling he will replace Kotsay if he goes on a tear and Kotsay is not getting the job done.

My parents just got back from AZ and were told by a scout from another team that Gamel has worn out his welcome in MKE...thus there are a bunch of teams checking out his games. He ignores take signs, refuses positional practice because he doesn't want to switch from 3rd and has become a problem in the clubhouse. Obviously this is from a non-Brewer but it is interesting...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I can understand Gamel being frustrated. He's gotten blocked a few years in a row by McGehee and Fielder, neither of which was expected to happen, and he also lost a roster spot due to injury last year. I don't really get why he would refuse to play a position other than 3b when he clearly won't get a chance to play there as long as McGehee is around. Also, he sucks at 3b. His best bet to make it to the big leagues full-time is to convert to 1b or a corner outfield spot. If he doesn't, he's going nowhere fast. I was at the game yesterday, and he looked absolutely horrible at 3b. He had two throwing errors, both on pretty routine plays, and missed a diving play to his right that he probably should've had. He just looks bad at 3b overall. He needs to be moved permanently. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him at 3b if McGehee went down. I'd rather see Counsell or Cruz over there.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I can understand Gamel being frustrated

A lot of people/players get frustrated; but not everyone handles it so poorly. IF this is true it fits with the profile hinted at by the organization, things I've seen first hand, and explains WHY he might not be getting the shots we all think he "deserves". Even the way his sister handled things while she posted here says something about how his family operates. Thin skin would be an understatement. If something seems illogical (such as the way the club has handled Gamel) I believe there is USUALLY a logical explanation for it that the club is classy or savvy enough not to go public with. Melvin/Yost/Macha/Roenicke may not always have been right; but they are rarely irrational (well maybe yost was http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif ). Gamel is not the victim here.

Also, it makes me wonder why the JS staff can't give us quality information on these types of situations. I've been to Arizona several times and you run into scouts around every corner and they are generally ready and willing to talk to anyone. I wouldn't expect McCalvy to dig up dirt on the brewers considering his employer; but "unnamed sources" could really help the JS staff give us more interesting/useful information.

My parents just got back from AZ and were told by a scout from another team that Gamel has worn out his welcome in MKE...thus there are a bunch of teams checking out his games. He ignores take signs, refuses positional practice because he doesn't want to switch from 3rd and has become a problem in the clubhouse. Obviously this is from a non-Brewer but it is interesting...
Very interesting. I wonder how much trade value he has at this point. Probably not a ton, I'd think.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

When I was at ST earlier this year Gamel always seemed to be like he was by himself and generally not interested in being there. We stayed after one game for a good while, 45 min or so, and after every Brewer player and coach had left and most of the grounds grew was gone Gamel was still there chatting with some attractive women. Seems like that might have been a good time to get in the training room for some rehab.

IDK, to me the only person he could be mad at is himself. This is the third year he has had a chance to win a spot but has failed to stay healthy enough to compete and win a job. He is no longer a young prospect and will be 26 this summer. To me me it is put up or shut up, if you want to be a big leaguer do whatever it takes including moving off of 3B.

Archived