Brewer Fanatic

Where is Mat Gamel on Opening Day? Latest News: Optioned to Nashville

RobDeer 45
I'm not sure if there is a thread dedicated to this or a discussion going on but I just read a little blurb on the plans for him on the official site and thought I'd see what everyone here thinks. Where do you think he is to start the season? Do you see him playing a major role this year? I know some of us have talked about him playing RF and sliding Hart over to CF, but is that realistic? He's stated he doesn't enjoy the OF. I also think he will be our first basemen next year some I'm hesitant to move him for a year. I really want his bat in the lineup this year but I just don't know how it fits in. I'd hate to see him ride the pine in the bigs just for an occasional start or PH.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hart is not going to play CF. I've only seen that suggested by fans. Gomez is going to get a shot at being the starting CF. "It's his job to lose", as Adam McCalvy recently stated.

Gamel has to show he's healthy and ready to play before he gets slotted in anywhere. He just had foot surgery in October.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Im sure Gamel will show up to big league camp and then right before he gets sent down will come down with a mysterious injury that allows him to collect a big league check for 3-4 months. Isnt that what happened the last two years?

Probably the most interesting thing to watch this spring is where Gamel is playing. My guess is he'll see some time at 3B and in both corner OF spots. Gamel may not prefer playing the OF but realistically at going on 26, he's not the premier prospect he was and those types don't get to pick and choose. There's definitely an open spot on the bench for a lefty hitter with some pop. That spot was filled by Inglett last year . A lot depends on what type of manager Roenicke is. Does he believe in occasionally resting his starters not named Braun and Fielder? Will he want to get an extra left handed bat in the lineup against tough right handing pitching. I think the answer will be yes and the clue was they pursued Hinske for that very role. So you'll see Gamel getting enough starts between 3B and RF and almost daily PH chores to keep him sharp

As bad as Gamel has been at 3B, I don't seem him splitting time between the infield and outfield. The Brewers will either see if he can stick at 3B or make the transition to the outfield. My guess is that they've already decided that he is an outfielder, though.

I agree with Briggs. Gamel has nothing left to prove in AAA. Keeping him there is wasting his prime seasons. He needs the chance to prove he is a major league player. If he is as good as I think he is, his talent will demand increased playing time as the season wears on. Plus, if he and McGehee end up at the infield corners next year, then I want him to have a season of major league experience, even if it's as a part time player.

Im sure Gamel will show up to big league camp and then right before he gets sent down will come down with a mysterious injury that allows him to collect a big league check for 3-4 months. Isnt that what happened the last two years?
No, just last year. He was on the roster as a part time player in 2009.

I think Gamel ends up on the bench as a backup in 2011. I don't see him getting any chance at the starting lineup in 2011 unless somebody gets injured.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Iirc he didn't 'pull a stunt' in ST 2010, he just got hurt.

I think Gamel will be on the MLB bench this season. Since the 40-man is full, I don't think DM is going to go out & sign a 1B/3B backup. I hope I'm wrong, though, as I think Mat would benefit from regular playing time at 1B in AAA.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My bad, I thought the injuries were related (shoulder?) and that because he didnt adequately address it in the offseason between 2009-10 that he reaggravated it in the spring of 2010.

Gamel could probably help more as the regular 1b in 2012 (and therefore in AAA) than he could as a bench player in 2011. That being said, I think it is time for him to have a regular spot on the big club.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not sure if it's wise due to he'd be learning a lot on the job, but it would be interesting to see Gamel on the major league roster, playing multiple positions.

I'd say he's the first guy off the bench to start in LF, RF, at 3B, 1B (or have Hart move to 1B and have Gamel play RF) and DH.

Even without major injuries, consider he could get around 50 starts:

DH - 15 games

1B - 5

3B - 10

LF - 5

RF - 10

Total: 45 starts, plus pinch hitting.

He could probably get 250 ABs.

Dickerson backs up CF. Counsel backs up SS/2B - and if Yuni is our SS, I bet Counsel gets quit a few starts there, so he's not as available to play the corners or PH. All this would leave room for a good hitting, right handed pinch hitter.

As I said, I don't know if it's wise to be moving Gamel around a lot. Maybe he would just crumble over learning new positions, not having a set schedule, etc.

I do like the idea of having a guy on the roster who I feel can be - in 2011 - as good of a hitter as half the regulars. Plus, he bats left handed, something we lack in our starters, and giving McGehee and Hart the occasional rest against tough righthanders might help us tremendously.

I also recognize that Prince will likely be gone in 2012, so the team needs to prep Gamel if they feel he is the replacement. If that means 2011 at AAA learning 1B or RF (and then move Hart to 1B) - or even just getting better to replace McGehee (who could move over to 1B) - then I'm okay. I feel bad for Gamel - as I think his time could easily be now.

A quick look at the starters for the Angels over the past 2 years shows these rough averages:

2010: 2 LH, 4 RH, 3 Switch

2009: 1 LH, 4 RH, 4 Switch

The RH, LH, Switch was based off of baseball-reference.com.

Two links used:

http://www.baseball-refer...ms/LAA/2010-roster.shtml

http://www.baseball-refer...ms/LAA/2009-roster.shtml

With this information, I don't see Roenicke going away from having LH options on his bench when only one everyday player bats LH. So I could very well see Gamel on the bench for 2011. Thus allowing us to play Counsell, Dickerson and Gamel when we face extremelly tough righties. IMO, the only way this doesn't happen is if someone like Cruz tears up Spring Training and makes the team.

Bombers wrote:

Thus allowing us to play Counsell, Dickerson and Gamel when we face extremelly tough righties. IMO, the only way this doesn't happen is if someone like Cruz tears up Spring Training and makes the team.

Even if Cruz makes the team I don't think that would keep Gamel off the roster. Dickerson, Cruz, Counsell, and Gamel on the bench would probably be the way they go. Gamel covering all the corner positions.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Doesn't having Gamel learn to play 1B at AAA and then take over that position with the Brewers in 2012 make the most sense? I'd feel more comfortable slotting him into that spot in 2012 if he has a full season (or at least a few months) of experience actually playing that position.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Invader, I would normally agree with that but I really think we have to go for it this year. So having Gamel on the roster really helps us out. Then when we get to 2012 we deal with where he plays. This can also give us a look at what postion/s he excels at.

Besides the comment by Gamel that he really didn't enjoy the OF, has anyone talked about how he did at the corner spots? I have not seen anything on that.

I think the other thing to look at too is who is better at first, him or Hart. As in which combo gives us the best overall defense (2012).

I think having him on the roster could go either way for him mentally but I just think we need a guy like him on our roster if he can show he can play 4 spots. I really want his bat in the lineup in 2011.

Besides the comment by Gamel that he really didn't enjoy the OF, has anyone talked about how he did at the corner spots? I have not seen anything on that.

The only comment from Mat about new positions I remember is this one:

"It was a lot easier for me (in right field) than first base," said the third-base prospect, who played two games at first and five in right with Class AAA Nashville before being called up by the Brewers. "It's a lot less stressful."

"It's tougher than people think. First (base) ain't easy. I have a lot more respect for those guys knowing what they do."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I tend to shy away from calling a 26-year old baseball player a "prospect" but that's just me. At this point, he should be happy to have a job at all in the majors. If he was such a stud, he would have won a job and kept it a long time ago. Now, he's at the age where he better "make it" this year or he's going to be a career backup at best.

That said, I would like to see him get shots at third base to give McGehee a breather once or twice a week, first base during the interleague road games, and maybe some right field. Otherwise, a top pinch-hit threat/first base spot-starter/replacement now that Prince's consecutive games "streak" is over.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'd prefer to have him play awhile in AAA at 1st base and see if he can handle it, then move him up. The only way I'd want him on the Brewers this year is if he's used as much as reillymcshane suggested and got semi-regular AB's.

I hope he comes into Spring Training w/ a great attitude and blows Roenicke away w/ his talent. I still think he has the ability to be a very good MLB player and I predict he proves it this season. I could see him getting 400-500 plate appearances as a pinch hitter and reserve 3b/1b, corner outfield guy.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if it goes completely the other way.

Archived