Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Walk of Fame: No 2011 inductees

hawing

Another year, another Walk of Fame vote with no one receiving at least 75% of the vote. This time Teddy Higuera came closest with 61%.

Haudricourt's take

(and also from the JSOnline...)

VOTING

BREWERS

Jerry Augustine 9 votes 15.8%

George Bamberger 26 votes 45.6%

Sal Bando 5 votes 8.8%

Jeromy Burnitz 3 votes 6.9%

Mike Caldwell 19 votes 33.3%

Bill Castro 4 votes 7.0%

Jeff Cirillo 11 votes 19.3%

Rob Deer 5 votes 8.8%

Phil Garner 4 votes 7.0%

Moose Haas 4 votes 7.0%

Teddy Higuera 35 votes 61.4%

Larry Hisle 5 votes 8.8%

Dan Kolb 0 votes 0.0%

Sixto Lexcano 7 votes 12.3%

Pat Listach 1 vote 1.8%

Damian Miller 1 vote 1.8%

Charlie Moore 10 votes 17.5%

Juan Nieves 4 votes 7.0%

Wes Obermueller 0 votes 0.0%

Ben Oglivie 22 votes 38.6%

Dan Plesac 15 votes 26.3%

BIll Schroeder 8 votes 14.0%

George Scott 11 votes 19.3%

Ted Simmons 17 votes 29.8%

Jim Slaton 6 votes 10.5%

B.J. Surhoff 9 votes 15.8%

Dale Sveum 3 votes 5.3%

Greg Vaughn 10 votes 17.5%

Fernando Vina 0 votes 0.0%

Pete Vuckovich 20 votes 35.1%

Bob Wickman 1 vote 1.8%

Ned Yost 2 votes 3.5%

BRAVES

Joe Adcock 20 votes 35.1%

Billy Bruton 5 votes 8.8%

Bob Buhl 9 votes 15.8%

Del Crandall 12 votes 21.1%

Fred Haney 5 votes 8.8%

Johnny Logan 26 votes 45.6%

Felix Mantilla 3 votes 5.3%

Andy Pafko 8 votes 14.0%

Frank Torre 3 votes 5.3%

Good heavens, Wes Obermueller was on the ballot. I rooted for lil' Wes, but wow. I guess this shows how automatically names are put on the ballot.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I guess this shows how automatically names are put on the ballot.

I think everyone (players, coaches, etc.) that was with the team for at least 3 years and if a player, out of baseball for 3 years, is automatically put on the ballot. Then they need to get at least 5% of the votes to stay on. I find it surprising that guys like Vuke, Oglivie, Higuera, and Cirillo haven't made it. They are basically the names that come up when you think of former Brewer stars (after guys already in like Yount, Molitor, etc.).

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

It appears to me that the voters either aren't qualified to vote on the Braves or that they're not doing any homework. The only Braves currently represented are Eddie Matthews, Warren Spahn, Lew Burdette, and GM John Quinn. There were too many good players who were in Braves uniforms for too long not to have better representation.

Adcock should be a lock. Crandall, too. And probably Logan. And maybe Buhl. Almost all of the names certainly deserve higher voting percentages.

The Brewers probably aren't helping matters. Mantilla and Torre were bench players. That makes me wonder if there are names that are missing from the ballot that should be included.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Who are the people voting on this? They are either very young, haven't been watching the Brewers for more than 10 years or so, or are completely clueless. You mean to tell me that Jerry Augustine, Bill Schroeder and Bill Castro received more votes combined than George Scott, Jeromy Burnitz and Jim Slaton (or Moose Hass)? Outside of a few fairly decent seasons- most notably his rookie year- Augie was borderline brutal, after 79 or so he was absolutely awful on a consistent basis. As a matter of fact, I'd be more willing to vote him into the Walk of Shame. Castro had a few decent years, but was nothing special either, as did/was Rock. George Scott should absolutely be in, as he was hands down the best Brewer of the 70's.

Damian Miller gets a vote? so apparently former players get ballots and get to vote for themselves, and Obermueller never turned his in. Yost was apparently smart enough to vote for himself and then make a photocopy.

I agree with the poster above about Adcock and Logan. I also think Al Simmons should be added to the ballot. He's the greatest player ever from Milwaukee and while he never played for a Major League Milwaukee team (since there were none), he played for the original Milwaukee Brewers from 1922-1923 and I think he just sort of deserves some Milwaukee love. (Buried in St. Adalbert's on 6th)

Rp

I see at least 6 guys who should be inducted. Voters need to remember this is a team Walk of Fame, not a MLB Hall of Fame.

Mike Caldwell, Teddy Higuera, Ted Simmons, Jeff Cirillo, George Scott for Brewers

Adcock and Logan for sure, probably Crandall and Buhl as well.

It looks like there is something of a bias in the voting towards the 80's teams. Which is unfair to Cirillo and even Burnitz, though I'm note sure if he belongs. Certainly the clubs best 3rd baseman who played most of his career here deserves it.

George Scott, Jim Slaton and Ben Oglivie have to be honored.

Scott was the centerpiece of the team, he twice led the league in TB, once in HR and RBI. He won the Gold Glove every year he was in Milwaukee. And he's still alive.

He's in failing health, he needs a walker to get around, and he's opinionated and likely to stay something cringeworthy--but he's still around and he might not be for too much longer.

Slaton leads the franchise in wins, games started, innings pitched, and shutouts--and in most of the bad stats, too. He's thrown more pitches than any guy in the 40 year history of the franchise.

Oglivie lead the league in HR once, he's in the top 10 in franchise history in H, R, TB, 2B, HR & BB. And he was a regular on 6-straight winning teams.

I don't think Slaton or Oglivie have the health issues that Scott has, so they could be honored in the future--but there's also no reason to wait on them.

And that's a great call by Messiah on Al Simmons.

Del Crandall was selected to 11 All Star games. That's right 11. That did include the 3 years they played 2 games, but still he was an All Star in 8 different seasons. After Campanella was paralized up until the time of Johnny Bench, the best catcher in the NL in that period was clearly Del Crandall. He also managed the Brewers, and while his overall record wasn't good due primarily to second half fades, the Brewers became relevant in Milwaukee with Crandall at the helm. It's a joke that he's not on the Walk of Fame.

Compare Adcock's numbers to the much beloved Gil Hodges who's career intersected with Adcock's. Keep in mind that Adcock missed a ton of time due to injuries. Had he been healthier, he would have hit 400 HR at a time where 400 is the equivalent of 500 today.

These are the only guys I think should be in any consideration on that list.

These are the only guys I think should be in any consideration on that list.

I concur with all the names above, and I'd add Bamberger, Buhl and possibly Burnitz, Slaton and Moore. I'd really like to know who's voting on this.... it seems almost like it's team employees or something- hence the high vote totals for Augustine, Castro and Schroeder. Anyone who actually watched Augustine pitch would not vote for him- the only reason that I can imagine him getting any votes is that he's currently around the team. At any rate, they need to open up the voting to fans and make it a little easier for guys to get in. You have baseball writers filling a ballot and voting for 10 guys to get into the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, and not one player qualifies for the Brewer walk of fame?

Per the Brewers' website (link), "The Walk of Fame is selected by a committee of approximately 100 Wisconsin media members and Brewers officials."

Adam McCalvy's account of the 2007 class mentions that after the 2005 class was inducted, "the Brewers changed the voting process to make it more difficult for new members to get in." That appears to have been successful.

I have a vague memory of sort-of-a fan vote being involved one year, but I haven't found supporting evidence, so perhaps I imagined it. I have to admit, though, that involving fans might swing the pendulum too far the other way (i.e. too many inductees instead of too few).

I would vote for Augie!!! Enough of this blaspheming my all-time favorite Brewer!!! I admit to being biased and irrational, but I will not be convinced otherwise. I may start my own Walk of Fame on my sidewalk just for him.

They should get a couple more of those old Braves in while they are still around. That team was packed with great players and should be honored more than they are. 13 straight winning seasons, 2 pennants, 2 other near misses and Milwaukee's only WS crown. Just incredible. Adcock & Logan for sure.

I like the thought on Al Simmons too.

I concur with all the names above, and I'd add Bamberger, Buhl and possibly Burnitz, Slaton and Moore.

When Bikage77 says "consideration," I take that to mean ballot-worthy (not necessarily shrine-worthy). So yeah, I'd think those names are ballot-worthy.

I'd really like to know who's voting on this.... it seems almost like it's team employees or something- hence the high vote totals for Augustine, Castro and Schroeder.

I think we've seen evidence in the past that team employees are among the voters. That also probably explains why Logan has higher vote totals than Adcock and Crandall; Johnny has been part of the Brewers "family" for its entire existence. Of course, the difference between Logan and Augustine/Castro/Schroeder is that Johnny is both ballot-worthy and shrine-worthy.

I have a vague memory of sort-of-a fan vote being involved one year,

but I haven't found supporting evidence, so perhaps I imagined it.

They

involved the fans one year, but I don't recall exactly how it worked.

It might have been that the fan totals counted as one voter on the

official ballot.

This year, 57 people voted. That doesn't mean that everyone turned in a ballot, though.

That makes me wonder if there are names that are missing from the ballot that should be included.
I eyeballed the Milwaukee Braves all-time roster. The one name that stuck out as being worthy of discussion is Joe Torre. He certainly beats out his brother Frank.

The bottom line is that the way the Braves are being dealt with just isn't working. A committee of about a dozen people should be set up to meet, evaluate criteria and stats, choose players, and be done with it.

Regarding Al Simmons, I wouldn't be against doing something to honor the best of the Wisconsin-born players, but I'd fear that putting them up to a vote would be a repeat of the Braves mess. If this were done right, Andy Pafko might be worthy of inclusion. He doesn't really cut it as a Brave, but his career achievements could very well qualify him.

I have a vague memory of sort-of-a fan vote being involved one year,

but I haven't found supporting evidence, so perhaps I imagined it.

They

involved the fans one year, but I don't recall exactly how it worked.

It might have been that the fan totals counted as one voter on the

official ballot.

This year, 57 people voted. That doesn't mean that everyone turned in a ballot, though.

Oh, good; someone else remembers, too. My memory is of something relatively indirect, like the fan total counting as one "official" voter.

I'm sure the Brewers have a rationale for doing the balloting in the heart of the off-season, but I wonder how difficult it is to drum up state-wide interest in December/January. The Madison media, for example, barely took their eyes off the Badgers and Packers long enough to acknowledge the Greinke acquisition.

Per the Brewers' website (link), "The Walk of Fame is selected by a committee of approximately 100 Wisconsin media members and Brewers officials."

Adam McCalvy's account of the 2007 class mentions that after the 2005 class was inducted, "the Brewers changed the voting process to make it more difficult for new members to get in." That appears to have been successful.

I have a vague memory of sort-of-a fan vote being involved one year, but I haven't found supporting evidence, so perhaps I imagined it. I have to admit, though, that involving fans might swing the pendulum too far the other way (i.e. too many inductees instead of too few).

Thanks for the link. I can't figure out why the Brewers decided to make the process tougher after 2005- both Kuenn and Money were very deserving.

I would vote for Augie!!! Enough of this blaspheming my all-time

favorite Brewer!!! I admit to being biased and irrational, but I will

not be convinced otherwise. I may start my own Walk of Fame on my

sidewalk just for him.

I will admit to being somewhat biased and irrational against Augustine. My dad absolutely detested him, and that must have rubbed off on me. I will say that I've met Augie a few times, and he's a pretty nice guy.

The Brewers probably aren't helping matters. Mantilla and Torre were

bench players. That makes me wonder if there are names that are missing

from the ballot that should be included.

The aforementioned Joe Torre is the only one who comes to mind immediately

This is a little off topic, buy why is Bobby Thompson on the Braves

Wall of Honor. What did he do in a Braves uniform that his stats don't

show?

He broke his leg in the spring so Hank Aaron could get his chance.

When Bikage77 says "consideration," I take that to mean ballot-worthy

(not necessarily shrine-worthy). So yeah, I'd think those names are

ballot-worthy.

I wouldn't really have a problem with all those guys being 'enshrined'. As we are talking about one specific franchise (not to mention one with a big time losing record overall), I think all of those guys put up enough numbers to get in. About 5 very good years or 10 solid years should be good enough for a guy to get in. I think that the Packers Hall of Fame is a good example as to how to do things. What would it hurt to put 2 guys or so in per season for the foreseeable future. Even the 'main' hall of fame in Cooperstown has been watered down in recent years. If Bruce Sutter, Tony Perez and Jim Rice are hall of famers, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that Dan Plesac, George Scott and Ben Oglivie should be walk of famers in Milwaukee.

That makes me wonder if there are names that are missing from the ballot that should be included.
I eyeballed the Milwaukee Braves all-time roster. The one name that stuck out as being worthy of discussion is Joe Torre. He certainly beats out his brother Frank.

The bottom line is that the way the Braves are being dealt with just isn't working. A committee of about a dozen people should be set up to meet, evaluate criteria and stats, choose players, and be done with it.

Regarding Al Simmons, I wouldn't be against doing something to honor the best of the Wisconsin-born players, but I'd fear that putting them up to a vote would be a repeat of the Braves mess. If this were done right, Andy Pafko might be worthy of inclusion. He doesn't really cut it as a Brave, but his career achievements could very well qualify him.

You're absolutely right about Joe Torre. The Braves of the 1960's are being uniformly ignored. Where's Tony Cloninger? He was 43-25 combined in 64 and 65. His 1965 season was one of the best ever by a pitcher in any Milwaukee uniform: Seriously, he was 24-11 that year with a 3.29 ERA, 211 K's (at time when 200 K's was indeed special), and 16 CG.

They need to have people voting on Braves selections that are not only sentimentally attached to the 1950's teams but who followed the team in the 60's too. After all those teams all had winning records too.

Logan was an emotional leader and for his time a real good offensive shortstop. He also had played 447 games for the AAA Milwaukee Brewers, and easily was the most beloved of the Braves team that moved from Boston because of that.

Pafko had a couple decent years. But his real value was that as an ex-Cub and Wisconsin native to boot, he helped convert a lot of fans with ties to the Cubs.

It would be cool to see a Milwaukee Walk of Fame and include guys like Al Simmons and even Hugh Duffy who was a player/manager on the 1901 Milwaukee Brewers (now the current Orioles) in the inagural season of the American League. Duffy is in the MLB HOF and has the record for the highest single season batting average (although pre 1901) at .440 in 1894.

Other non Brave/Brewers from Milwaukee that could be considered are Ken Keltner (famous for making 2 great plays to rob Joe D of hits and end his streak), Joe Randa or Mark Grudzielanek (maybe), certainly Lave Cross (19th century player who is a borderline HOF candidate) and Harvey Kuenn.

It would also be cool to see the other 3 HOFers (in addition to Al Simmons) born in WI, Burleigh Grimes (last pitcher allowed to use the spitball), Kid Nichols (7th all-time in wins) and Addie Joss (threw a perfect game, 2nd all-time in ERA, best ever WHIP, died after 9 seasons at age 31)

I ended up bypassing Cloninger because his ERA+ as a Milwaukee Brave was below average every year except for one, but he's still certainly worth discussing.

It's too bad that the game below occurred as an Atlanta Brave. Had this occurred as a Milwaukee Brave, he'd be better remembered in Wisconsin. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived