Brewer Fanatic

Renteria to the Reds

Blah. Renteria just isn't that good, and he's getting old. I'm just not seeing how Renteria is that much (if at all) better than Betancourt at this point. If Betancourt or a Cruz/Counsell duo isn't getting the job done in June, I think that you have to go after someone who's a sure upgrade. For example, Furcal or Reyes might be available late summer for a fairly high cost. Frankly, once the Orioles fall 10 games back, I think the best option may be to bring J.J. back.

Renteria's 2011 ZiPS projection: .265/.318/.362/.670

I might expect something like .275/.300/.400 from Betancourt in the NL, which is about a wash. If I had to to pick the better hitter, it would probably be Betancourt by a hair.

The huge difference is in defense, where Renteria appears to still be average, whereas it is almost universally agreed that Betencourt is a very bad at playing defense at SS.

I would be surprised if Renteria has 150 starts in him for 2011 but had he been signed with the Brewers, he probably would have only ahd to start 100ish games.

I won't pretend that Melvin could have gotten Renteria had he wanted to; how would I know? I think he represented a clear upgrade over Betancourt, however. Probably close to 1 win over 100 starts, which is a lot.

Archived