Brewer Fanatic

Braves extend Dan Uggla, 5 yrs/$62MM [Updated 7/18/2014: Uggla released]

crewcrazy

Maybe my bias comes from the Brewers' history of finding good, cheap bats, but not being able to find good pitching, even when they pay a premium for it. If the price is the same, I'd personally rather have an average person playing 2B to go along with Gamel, Braun, McGehee, Hart, etc. than having three average pitchers following up two studs.

Not to hijack the thread, but the easy solution would've been to have traded Hart instead of extending him. Really, it's Hart's salary that will probably not allow for us to extend one of Weeks, Marcum or Greinke.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Not to hijack the thread, but the easy solution would've been to have traded Hart instead of extending him. Really, it's Hart's salary that will probably not allow for us to extend one of Weeks, Marcum or Greinke.
Agreed but hindsight is 20/20. If I would've told you in August when we extended Hart that we would not only have Greinke and Marcum by December but have to worry about extending them, I think you would've rightfully laughed at me. I know I would've laughed at myself if I made that statement. Extending Hart to a pretty decent deal for the Brewers (assuming he maintains something close to last season's production) was the smart move at the time.

Hart's salary tops out at $10 million in 2013. I guess I don't see why that should block extending Marcum/Greinke.

From my post at the end of page one, if we were to extend all three of Weeks, Marcum & Greinke, and Braun, Yo, Hart and McGehee are all on the team, I'd estimate that they would account for somewhere around $70MM. If Wolf's option were picked up, it would bump the number to around $80MM. I don't know where the salary will be in a couple of years, but I don't know if we could pay seven players $70MM and still field a full team. It's possible with a lot of pre-arby guys, but I don't know if it's likely.

Agreed but hindsight is 20/20. If I would've told you in August when we extended Hart that we would not only have Greinke and Marcum by December but have to worry about extending them, I think you would've rightfully laughed at me. I know I would've laughed at myself if I made that statement. Extending Hart to a pretty decent deal for the Brewers (assuming he maintains something close to last season's production) was the smart move at the time.

A lot of people (myself included) wanted Hart traded last season, and when he wasn't traded were not happy with the extension based on 1/2 year of good production. Instead of trading high, we bought high. I would've been much, much happier if Melvin had come out and announced a Weeks extension mid-way through last season, as we'd now be discussing what to do with Hart instead of what to do with Weeks.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

A lot of people (myself included) wanted Hart traded last season, and when he wasn't traded were not happy with the extension based on 1/2 year of good production. Instead of trading high, we bought high. I would've been much, much happier if Melvin had come out and announced a Weeks extension mid-way through last season, as we'd now be discussing what to do with Hart instead of what to do with Weeks.
I agree with this 100%. I am the biggest Weeks supporter and will continue to worry about him being a longterm Brewer until the day he is extended. HOWEVER, if Weeks would've been resigned in August instead of Hart, couldn't the same be argued about Weeks only having 1/2 year of good AND healthy production?

• 3 years later...
Reported by Ken Rosenthal.

Highest annual value ever for a second baseman. Odds seem slim he'll finish the contract at second base, though.

Fixed it for you :)

Man who saw this coming though. Both Weeks and Uggla in early 2011, most seem to think these were fair deals. Braves are now eating the remainder of this salary ($13 mil in 2014 and 2015) ... and the Brewers are glad Week's 2015 option won't vest.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/braves-to-release-dan-uggla.html

• 2 weeks later...
Uggla released again by the Giants. No corresponding move. Wonder if that means they are freeing a spot on the 40 man for an acquisition specifically at 2b?

According to this article they very well may be.

Striving for stability at second base, the Giants were rumored to be pursuing middle infielders such as Cleveland's Asdrubal Cabrera and the Chicago Cubs' Emilio Bonifacio in trade discussions, according to multiple reports.

Archived