Brewer Fanatic

How many of you are willing to give Betancourt a shot?

RobDeer 45
I honestly can't say I remember the last time I have seen Betancourt play on TV. Probably when he was a Mariner. I am willing to give him a chance, but I am not expecting much based on the stats and what I have read from Joe Posnanski and Rob Neyer. I do like Yuniesky's potential power at SS. That is about it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And scouts and fans in general also seem to think Betencourt is well below average as well, so not sure why you are focusing on the stat guys. It's not often that everyone agrees!
It sure seems that way, but I'm willing to at least watch the guy play for a semi-extended period of time before I will say he's terrible.
I don't completely understand this sentiment. If you were managing a business, and you had a "candidate" that had been called completely inept by other employers, etc., wouldn't you raise an immediate red flag? Maybe that's a bad comparison, but quite frankly, I don't know what I can capture in watching Yuniesky that a professional scout and defensive metrics can't capture. I mean, you can get a pretty good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a cow's butt, but wouldn't you rather just take your butcher's word for it?

I don't want Yuni to suck. I'd love him to find motivation and succeed. I just don't think that's the most likely scenario. The Brewers are in the position (85-90 wins) where the marginal value of a win is maximized. As someone (end_____), they can pay $2 million for an (expected) win that's likely worth around $8 million.

Melvin says he'll play, so I suppose he'll play. He shouldn't be playing, but as long as the boss is backing you, I think Yuni will be safe. I'm hoping that Roenicke can see his ineptitude and stand up to Doug.

And scouts and fans in general also seem to think Betencourt is well below average as well, so not sure why you are focusing on the stat guys. It's not often that everyone agrees!
It sure seems that way, but I'm willing to at least watch the guy play for a semi-extended period of time before I will say he's terrible.
I don't completely understand this sentiment. If you were managing a business, and you had a "candidate" that had been called completely inept by other employers, etc., wouldn't you raise an immediate red flag? Maybe that's a bad comparison, but quite frankly, I don't know what I can capture in watching Yuniesky that a professional scout and defensive metrics can't capture.
By a 'semi-extended' period of time, I mean spring training. I think people are fooling themselves if they think that Betancourt is going to be cut. No matter what, I think that he will be going North with the team (even Suppan did last year), either as the starter, or in a reserve role after playing himself out of the starting job in Maryvale. Based on the history of this management regime, he will likely be on the team in some capacity until at least mid season- no matter what.

Nobody ever said Betancourt would derail the season.

This is in response to worrying about how he'll singlehandedly derail the 2011 season

Post #3 says The Brewers have a real chance to be very good, and he has a real chance to sabotage that.

That certainly seems close to someone worrying about Betancourt derailing the season. And if others haven't explicitly said that, there certainly seems to be a lot of distressed posts about Betancourt and his effect on the 2011 season. If they didn't believe he could derail the season, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason for so much of a response.

Keep it in perspective. Like FloodPants said, "derail the season" could mean something as simple as overall costing the team 1 win over other alternatives. I don't think it's hyperbole to state that Betancourt could cost the Brewers one win in '11. I think it's a good thing so many fans are aware of just how crucial each & every win is going to be this coming season.

I get the impression you think people are worried Betancourt is going to be worth like -86 games. This discussion really isn't that dramatic. If the Crew still had a solid option at SS, people would be wringing their hands about CF. It's just that kind of season coming up. Every detail matters.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I get the impression you think people are worried Betancourt is going to be worth like -86 games.

I don't know how you could get that impression.

This discussion really isn't that dramatic.

I guess that depends on the eye of the beholder. When I see people say things like Betancourt is as bad as a SS can be, Melvin should be fired if Betancourt is the SS, people saying there are easy 2 Win upgrades available (but not actually demonstrating how), those seem to be dramatic posts to me.

I think betancourt is almost certain to be our starting SS for the first couple months of the season. I also think if we miss the playoffs by 2 games or less you can directly point at keeping him at SS as the reason we missed the playoffs. The value of a win goes up astronomically as you approach the playoff win total and replacing Betancourt with another crappy SS is worth something like $5M-$10M for this team IMO.

Keep it in perspective. Like FloodPants said, "derail the season" could mean something as simple as overall costing the team 1 win over other alternatives. I don't think it's hyperbole to state that Betancourt could cost the Brewers one win in '11. I think it's a good thing so many fans are aware of just how crucial each & every win is going to be this coming season.

I guess. I wouldn't think of one or two games as derailing the season even if we only miss the playoffs by a game or two. I think of derailing the season as only winning in the low 80's or a losing record. I don't think Betancourt, despite his suckitute, is capable of dragging us down that far unless he runs over Greinke, Gallardo, Fielder and Braun in the parking lot.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It sure seems that way, but I'm willing to at least watch the guy play for a semi-extended period of time before I will say he's terrible. Believe me, if he is terrible, I'll jump right on the bandwagon to dump him.... I want to see Betancourt in the field with my own eyes before I make a determination that he's trash.
If semi-extended means a year, then perhaps your personal observation would have some real value. If it means one or two months, you are better off just looking at his last 3 years of production and forming your opinion on that.

Until Betancourt sucks as a Brewer, Melvin can't really do anything other than support him publicly. He can't say, "We know he sucks and we have to replace him," at this point. He also can't say that the team is still in the market for a shortstop.

None of that would prevent him from acquiring a shortstop, though. What he says or doesn't say is where he's restricted.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It's $3 mil incentives, which I'm sure is based on playing time. I bet his base is less than $2 mil. And yes, I will assume that Renteria is a better option than Betencourt and that isn't saying much.

I also think it's funny that Betancourt has already filled the Suppan role of least favorite Brewer before he even takes the field.

He projects to be the worst starter on the team, so I don't see why it's surprising that he's already the least favorite.

Archived