Brewer Fanatic

Any Runners/Joggers?

Dnye23
My latest mission has been to figure out how to run in the hot/humid Florida summer. It isn't easy but I can now handle a heat index of up to 90-95 if I carry a water belt and use gels/electrolyte tablets on runs over 10 miles.
I started running again a few years back after pretty much taking 15 years off from it, having run roadraces, and cross country and track, growing up in Florida. Being able to run in near-perfect running weather conditions in the Bay Area now has me wondering how I ever used to run those long slow distance and sprint workouts at 2 in the afternoon in late Florida summers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My latest mission has been to figure out how to run in the hot/humid Florida summer. It isn't easy but I can now handle a heat index of up to 90-95 if I carry a water belt and use gels/electrolyte tablets on runs over 10 miles.

Having been in similar weather in New Orleans, I think it's worth it going through the summer to get the winter. Lots of ideal running conditions through the late fall and into the winter time. As a non-fan of snow/ice/WI winter running, I very much enjoyed my time down there http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Wow do I feel lazy after reading this thread. Serious congratulations are in order to you guys. I would probably be happy to just quit smoking.

The thing that finally got me passed the tobacco habits I picked up in college was telling myself that the behavior has no longer acceptable as an adult. It's not like it was easy or anything, but I associated being tobacco free with wanting to turn a page in my life. I wanted that more than I wanted to satisfy the craving. I used to love cigars but I won't even let myself do that anymore. It's too easy to go from one stogie to a tin of Skoal a day. What's crazy is I now know that I'm in the best shape of my life and I can't get enough of it. Rather than kicking myself for lost years, I just run harder.

No need to feel lazy, Doc. Take it one piece at a time, hold on to every freakin' accomplishment, celebrate it, and then move on to the next thing.

• 1 month later...

Ok, here's the deal:

I've been running recreationally for 3-4 years now, but typically only about 20-30 miles/month, and sometimes less depending on schedule.

My cousin recently came back from Kenya where she was doing mission work (she's a saint) and encouraged me to sign up for a half marathon with her. So, on October 8, I'll be running my first half marathon.

I've been training since August 7 - ran 54 miles in the month of August, will run about 100 here in September, and then October is race month. On a schedule with short runs during the week (M,W,F) and a long run on Saturdays (did 8 miles yesterday).

I'm 32, 6'2", 215-220. One area I've failed is adjusting my diet. I'm clearly losing fat as I can tell some physical differences, but my weight is hovering about the same spot.

Here's my question: I've heard runners talk about a "breakthrough" in their training where suddenly their legs feel strong and running longer distances isn't a problem. Unfortunately, I still feel like I've got dead legs every time I start a run. For instance, the first two miles of my run yesterday were miserable - the last 6 weren't so bad, but the legs truly never felt "good".

Not having shin splits, getting better at stretching and hydrating. For those of you who've ran these long distances before, what do I need to do to get to the point where I feel strong on my legs and start to increase my speed (I'm running anywhere from 9-11 minute miles)?

Community Moderator

I think you are in good shape considering you just started training less than a month ago. One issue might be that your training plan is a little over-ambitious, going from about 7 miles/week to 25 miles/week in barely over a month is a big jump. You can do it, of course, but not without some growing pains.

From my experience, I would say that in a long run of 10+ miles it usually takes me 2-3 miles to get fully loosened out and I do not reach peak speed until the second half of the run. So starting out slow is normal. One common solution is to start your workout by slowly jogging 1-2 miles and then stop and do your stretching. That might help a bit, but since you are going so quickly from recreational running to a 1/2 marathon, you probably are just going to have to suck it up on days that you do feel 100%. You will see gradual, steady improvement with time. Best of luck with the training!

Edit: Another thought: it is essential for recovery that you eat/drink something within 15 minutes of finishing your run in order to aid in recovery. Ideally something high in carbs like gatorade, fruit, or a granola bar, or all of the above.

• 9 months later...

Over 1 1/2 years since I started running now, I've tallied 450+ miles in 70+ hours. My longest run so far has been from my house to Miller Park and back (9 1/2 miles). I'm doing my first half-marathon of three I have planned this summer on June 23rd, Summerfest Rock N' Sole Run. Anyone else doing the Summerfest run? It was horribly put together last year, but they have new directors that actually know what they're doing this year. They put together the Madison Mini and are also doing the inaugural Brewers Mini this year.

An awesome recovery drink I use is chocolate milk. It has all the essential carbs and protein your body needs for recovery. Vitamin A & D, calcium and aids in bone strength along with building muscle. Yea, I stoled all that from an ad but all the facts are there. Plus it's cheaper than most recovery drinks.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

I get terrible shin splints every time I run. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? It's far worse while running on a sidewalk or hard surface, but right now that's pretty much my only option. I went to a running shoe store and they watched me run on a treadmill and gave me shoes based off that. I noticed a little bit of a difference with the shoes, but then my hip down to my knee started hurting and the shin splints still come but usually at the mile and a half mark rather than the mile. I have taken long breaks from running and the pain doesn't go away. I've read a lot of stuff online and nothing has helped. If I keep running through it, will the shin pain eventually go away or am I just going to keep hurting myself worse? I haven't ran in about two weeks and my hip/knee pain is finally going away, but it hurt so bad that I'm scared to run again.

I get terrible shin splints every time I run. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? It's far worse while running on a sidewalk or hard surface, but right now that's pretty much my only option. I went to a running shoe store and they watched me run on a treadmill and gave me shoes based off that. I noticed a little bit of a difference with the shoes, but then my hip down to my knee started hurting and the shin splints still come but usually at the mile and a half mark rather than the mile. I have taken long breaks from running and the pain doesn't go away. I've read a lot of stuff online and nothing has helped. If I keep running through it, will the shin pain eventually go away or am I just going to keep hurting myself worse? I haven't ran in about two weeks and my hip/knee pain is finally going away, but it hurt so bad that I'm scared to run again.

I am by no means an expert but there is no getting away from the fact that running is a high impact exercise. I think trying to "run through it" is a bad idea. If the pain is chronic, you probably should see a doctor (sports therapist perhaps?). At very least, find a lower impact alternative for working your cardiovascular system for a prolonged period of time.

Community Moderator
I get terrible shin splints every time I run. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Shin splints are the #1 most common running injury. I used to have serious problems with them when I was a college undergraduate, but now I have gotten to the point where they only occasionally show up as mild discomfort.

Shin splints are from pounding the ground too hard. The only way to get rid of them is to change your running form. Certain shoes can assist with that but generally it is up to the runner to concentrate on landing softer and more towards the mid-foot instead of the heel. Shortening/quickening your stride can help. Picking shoes is both difficult and important. Running stores can give mixed advice, try to seek out different opinions. It is up to you to pay attention to your running form and then find a shoe that matches it so that you have the least possible impact on your legs. There are shoes out there now that will force you off your heels (Newtons) but if you are not very careful you will end up with other injuries. Generally, just look for something light weight without a thick heel. My shin splints were the worst when I had shoes with thick heel padding--it doesn't help.

Even if you get the shoes and form right, they can still show up (probably because of the hard pavement, like you mentioned). Warming up before running can help--not just stretching but something to get your heart pumping for awhile. Also, do some strength training, focusing on the calf muscle.

Another thought I have is that maybe your shin splints progressed into a stress fracture. It takes about 2 months for a stress fracture to heal, so if you took a few weeks off running it won't make a difference. For that reason, I would recommend seeing an orthopedic doctor.

Hope that helps, good luck fighting off the injuries.

Houlie-

85% of shin splints are caused from poor running form. If your heels are hitting the ground first, or you're extending your feet out (with longer strides) in front of your body, both of those can cause huge issues with shin splints. I know, I had the same problem for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

The "Lean from the ankles" tip in that video is very helpful, and watch where his feet hit the ground: Middle-front of the foot.

The other thing I want to be sure of, is your pain all the way along your shins and not in a specific spot -- if it's in a sharp point it may be a stress fracture. You can stretch them, the easiest way is to stand on an angled surface (like, prop a board up at a 30 degree angle and stand on it for a minute at a time) but they will come back if you don't improve your running form. And when your shins start hurting you change your form to make the pain stop, and then suddenly other body parts start hurting. Start slow, and short with your runs, and concentrate on your form.

Edit: I swear, I am not, nor have I ever been, inside the brain of owbc.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I need to get back into running. I was going about 2-3 miles each time I went out (2-3 times a week) last summer until it got too hot for me to want to get out (mid July) by end of summer when it cooled down I didn't get back out. As it was starting to show nice weather in winter, I wanted to start up but then in February I was shoved in my classroom by a student trying to fight another student and my back went out. I was basically uncapable of doing anything athletic until right before softball season (mid April). I also didn't really have any time to run due to setting up a wedding.

I feel comfortable doing athletic stuff again, but am leaving for my honeymoon on Tuesday, so I've been preparing for that.

I think I can still hold up pretty well, but I would usually jog 5-6 blocks, walk one, and start up again. I couldn't ever get to the point where I was jogging the entire time, but I put some of that on smoking for 8 years. Hopefully this summer I can reach that point. I don't really like jogging, but I love the feeling of accomplishment afterwards.

Thanks a lot for the advice. After seeing that video, I would definitely agree my running form is poor. I think my form gets lazy once my legs start getting tired and I land on the heel first. I'm sure it didn't help that last year I had a little over a month to do a 5k so I was doing 2-3 miles right away and was at 5 miles within two weeks. This year I started at 2-3 miles right away and that's when everything started to get real bad. I should have read up or asked around sooner. As stupid as it sounds, I had no idea running would cause serious injuries so easily.

I think I'll rest for another 2 weeks and see how everything feels before running again and maybe start by doing a mile only at a time to start. Does that sound reasonable? Should I do less to start? I think I'll also find some grass or dirt to run on and work on form.

As far as the pain in my shins, I would describe it as going up the whole shin. The muscle that runs across the outside of the shin gets sore and shortly after it starts feeling numb and my calves get extremely tight. The pain goes away shortly after I run, but they are still sore for the rest of the night. As for the knee pain, I can't really tell where it hurts exactly. My knee feels a little tight but it usually feels fine after a light warm up and some stretching. When it first started hurting, I could barely walk up stairs. I think this will be my last time starting from nothing and going out on the first warm day for a 3 mile run. I was a little too eager to shed some of the winter weight I put on.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Have you tried running on the Bug Line Trail? The crushed limestone may be more forgiving. NEVER run through pain, your body is talking to you. I've never had shin splints, so I cannot offer any advice. I'm a heel striker as well. Hate to be the messanger, but some people don't have the biodynamics to handle the stress of distance running.

Houlie-

My recommendation for starting out, would be to read up on the "Couch to 5K" program, and try that, if you feel good, you can skip ahead a couple weeks. But the real thing you want to concentrate on is your form. I know, when I get tired (whether playing Ultimate or running in general) I turn into a heel striker, and that's when my splints flare up.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Jimbo, I ran on the bug line when I first started running. It was definitely easier on my shins. I got shin splints early on, but after taking a little time off they never came back again. I live a little too far away to run there every time. I still try to get there on weekends though. It looks like I might have to force myself to get back there on weekdays though. Thanks for the tip.

Baldkin, thanks for the advice. I'll read up on that program and definitely focus on my form. I'm going to take it very slow this time.

I've been wanting to get in shape for a while now and just haven't had the motivation. Ultimate Frisbee is my main and near exclusive form workouts. I've finally bought some shoes that seem to fit my running style, but after watching the video I've realized how terribly horribly bad my running form is. It seems to stem from the fact that I am a "duck walker". Basically it's uncomfortable for me to have my feet pointed straight out. I guess that is where all my leg issues end up coming from.

At least now I know and can search around for tips on running with terrible form. :)

Ultimate Frisbee is my main and near exclusive form workouts.

Hey, mine too! /derailthread

• 2 weeks later...
I'm doing my first half-marathon of three I have planned this summer on June 23rd, Summerfest Rock N' Sole Run. Anyone else doing the Summerfest run? It was horribly put together last year, but they have new directors that actually know what they're doing this year. They put together the Madison Mini and are also doing the inaugural Brewers Mini this year.

I'll be there at 7 am. Was slotted for Corral D, asked for an upgrade to a preferred seeding and to my surprise they obliged. Looking forward to seeing the view from above.

• 4 weeks later...
You guys listen to music when you run? I'm doing my first half-marathon in 3 weeks here and I'm having a hard time finding enough music to fill 2.5-3 hours. What does everyone have on their ipods for running?

I have about 70 songs in mine, mostly rock. Some good ones that get me pumped are:

Right Now - Van Halen

Song 2 - Blur

Intergalactic - Beastie Boys

Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters

Feed The Machine - Red

Get Up! - Korn

This Means War - Nickelback

Runaway - Hail The Villain

This Fire - Killswitch Engage

Remember The Name - Fort Minor

I'm also a big fan of Skrillex. I have about 8 of his tracks in my list, along with a few other dubstep tracks. If you're into that sort of thing, dubstep will get you pumped up.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

• 2 months later...
Did anyone run the Brewers Mini this past Saturday? I started running last summer, this was my first half marathon, and my legs were not prepared. I had gotten up to 10 miles in training and never had any issues, but those last three miles just killed me. Stamina wise I was fine. It was perfect running weather, 50s and overcast, I was never out of breath, but my calves were just hating me by mile 11. I pretty much couldn't walk at all for the rest of Saturday, was somewhat better yesterday, but today is the first day I feel back to normal. The race itself was fantastic and well run. The best parts of the course was going through Miller Valley and Miller Park. The finisher's medal is amazing, the tech shirt is very nice, and the free ticket is a loge level which was better than I expected, I figured it would be terrace. All in all, well worth the price of the entry fee. I wish I could have enjoyed more of the post race stuff, but I was in so much pain I just wanted to get home ASAP. Of course, I realize I'm addicted to running when I go from hating life and wondering why I put myself through this for the first couple of hours following the race to looking forward to doing another one once the pain subsided. The only real issue with the race was due to the course, the lots behind the stadium were closed and the only entrance being used was Mitchell Blvd. Even though it was only 5000 runners, when there's only one entrance it caused major traffic backups. I was coming from the Fox Valley, made it to I-94 around 6:20 and barely parked by 7:00. If the race hadn't been delayed due to the lightning I might not have made the start, and there were a ton of cars behind me still waiting to get in.

Did anyone run the Brewers Mini this past Saturday? I started running last summer, this was my first half marathon, and my legs were not prepared. ... Of course, I realize I'm addicted to running when I go from hating life and wondering why I put myself through this for the first couple of hours following the race to looking forward to doing another one once the pain subsided. The only real issue with the race was due to the course, the lots behind the stadium were closed and the only entrance being used was Mitchell Blvd. Even though it was only 5000 runners, when there's only one entrance it caused major traffic backups. I was coming from the Fox Valley, made it to I-94 around 6:20 and barely parked by 7:00.

I was there as well. Don't feel bad about the race. I'm a veteran and my knees were throbbing before the finish. The pavement on Hawley and I think it was 44th were all beat to heck. Took me two days for my legs to feel fine.

I exited I-94 at 70th and took Bluemound in. The Molitor lot was open.

If you're already planning your next race, you're hooked!

Archived