Brewer Fanatic

Right-handed stick off the bench

rickh150

I agree with Briggs that Boggs will likely be the primary RH bat off the bench. The lefty-heavy bench is why I think we may keep Cruz up rather than Gamel. Cruz's skillset probably matches our needs more than having another LH bat on the bench.

Of course, Melvin has a knack for finding seemingly over the hill OFs who revive their career for a season off the Brewers' bench. If there's a RH candidate out there, Melvin's probably looking at him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I agree with Briggs that Boggs will likely be the primary RH bat off the bench. The lefty-heavy bench is why I think we may keep Cruz up rather than Gamel. Cruz's skillset probably matches our needs more than having another LH bat on the bench.

Of course, Melvin has a knack for finding seemingly over the hill OFs who revive their career for a season off the Brewers' bench. If there's a RH candidate out there, Melvin's probably looking at him.

How does Cruz' skill set match our needs? Wasn't Melvin trying to get Eric Hinske earlier talking about the need for more power off the bench? Boggs has a little more power than Dickerson but neither would be considered power bats. Cruz hit 10 last year at AAA but he's hardly a power guy either. Then there's Counsell who's muscles up once or twice a year.

Gamel's skill set on the other hand isn't that far off Hinske's. Now they may decide they can't get Gamel enough AB's in that role and/or they fear what happened with Brad Nelson a few years ago. So they may opt for a veteran if one becomes available but I doubt they are specifically looking at a RH bat.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Gamel needs to stick in the majors. He turns 26 in July and won't grow as a hitter facing AAA pitching for another season. I'd find him AB's in RF and 3B by sitting Hart and McGehee occasionally against tough right handed pitching. I'd also DH him in AL parks.

How does Cruz' skill set match our needs?

RH bat who plays very good defense. To the point of the thread, it would be nice to have another RH bat on the bench. Additionally, we look to have one of the worst defensive teams ever compiled at the MLB level. Plus, I believe we'll lose Cruz if he doesn't make the team, leaving us in a really bad situation if Betancourt gets hurt.

Don't get me wrong, Gamel is a better player than Cruz, but we've already wasted one year of his service time with little to show for it. I'd hate to waste another year of service time so we have another lefty on the bench who may or may not hit better than Dickerson would if given the same 100-200 PAs.

If I had to bet, I'd say the bench will be Counsell, Boggs, Dickerson, Gamel and the backup catcher (probably Nieves). I would just prefer Counsell, Boggs, Dickerson, Cruz and backup catcher (probably Kottaras), with Gamel playing a mix of 1B, 3B, corner OF everyday in AAA, coming up if someone gets hurt and to be the DH when needed. In 2012, Gamel then steps in to be our everyday 1B or 3B for the next five seasons instead of the next four.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived