Brewer Fanatic

Lastings Milledge

I thought he would be a good fit too after reading that same article. His defense won't be Carlos Gomez good but his offense would be a real upgrade and he would platoon well with Dickerson.

Gomez

.246 .293 .349 .642

vs LHP

.234 .284 .357 .641

Milledge

.269 .328 .394 .723

vs LHP

.289 .363 .435 .798

Dickerson

.267 .356 .403 .759

vs RHP

.273 .363 .420 .783

I'm not sure his bat is better enough than Gomez's to offset the decrease in defense. The platoon split does look good, but these are also the stats of a player who hasn't gotten full time at bats for most of his career. So a small sample size of another small sample size, essentially. If it's a minor league deal, it's worth it, but I don't think the Brewers should pursue this too hard.

I'd gladly take a chance on this guy. As mentioned earlier, he wouldn't provide the same D as Gomez but his bat does seem to be substantially better. At least the man can draw a walk and carry a respectable OBP. He might even be a candidate for the #2 spot in the lineup. Let me put this another way. If Milledge and Gomez were both free agents, who would you rather the Crew sign? I would take Milledge.

I'd gladly take a chance on this guy. As mentioned earlier, he wouldn't provide the same D as Gomez but his bat does seem to be substantially better. At least the man can draw a walk and carry a respectable OBP. He might even be a candidate for the #2 spot in the lineup. Let me put this another way. If Milledge and Gomez were both free agents, who would you rather the Crew sign? I would take Milledge.
I'd be inclined to agree, but I think that Gomez (or at least his potential skill set) is better suited for this team at this point, not to mentioned they have already signed him for next season.

He's not significantly better that Gomez especially given the fact that Milledge isn't the base stealing threat Gomez is. It wouldn't take much of an improvement from Gomez to match Milledge's production the last couple years. Then there is the obvious reason that you're already paying Gomez $1.5 million.

Does Milledge even play CF? Our offense should be alright, while our defense will be bad, even with Gomez in CF. I sure don't want to put a corner outfielder in CF just to slightly increase our offense. If we did that, and if "Batter Nine You Sucky" is as bad as everyone says, we could potentially be looking at one of the worst defenses ever assembled.

That said, if he would come to camp to compete with Dickerson and Boggs for the 4/5 OF spots, then I'd be fine with it. We could use a good RH bat off the bench. However, he has a history of not being a good clubhouse guy, so you'd have to wonder how he'd handle sitting the bench behind Braun and Hart, who won't take too many days off.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

He won't take a minor league deal, I'd assume. He doesn't really fit with our MLB roster at this point. Just doesn't seem like it would make sense for the Brewers at this juncture.

I have to think that with each passing day he is more and more likely to accept a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. I haven't really heard of him being linked with any potential suitors at this point, though I might have missed it. In any event, I certainly think it's worth exploring as I think he could drastically upgrade our bench or step in as needed if Gomez continues his struggles from last season.

I agree Doc. Anything to improve the team is worth a look. I'm unsure of options on Dickerson and Boggs, but I know that Gomez has one left. Why not take advantage of it to "Jerk a knot in his tail" and maybe get his attention. I'm not sure how tough Money is at AAA but maybe he could straighten him out. As has been stated time and time again, he has the tools, he just needs to put it together. Better to find out at AAA then with the big team.

I admit I haven't seen much of Milledge play, but he doesn't look like a good defensive outfielder in my small viewing sample. I would bet on him not being able to play centerfield well enough to be useful there, but that's just me.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Milledge last played CF in 2009, a grand total of 5 games. He was exclusively a corner OF in Pittsburgh. I don't see him as a fit. If you want a guy who used to be a lauded prospect and can play good defense, we already have that in Carlos Gomez.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

How bad do you have to be when the Pirates decline to offer you arbitration (~$1 mil)? A bad reputation has followed Milledge since he first hit the big leagues. I just looked at his rotoworld page and he is currently getting in fights down in Venezuelen Winter League. He has the tools, but he's just not good enough to put up with.

Archived