Brewer Fanatic

Suggestions for Wii games

Menotti80

We just got a Wii for Christmas. We have Wii Sports, Super Mario Bros, and Donkey Kong Country Returns

When it comes time to get some new games a bit later on down the road, we could use some recommendations. (Games we wont consider buying are: war games, fighting games, car racing, anything not suitable for youngish kids)

Thanks in advance!

Super Mario Bros 2 and Kirby's Epic Yarn. The latter is great for young kids. You can look at Trauma Team but the themes maybe a bit too dark. The Wii also has what many consider the best baseball game franchise ever in Power Pros but it hasn't been released since 2008 in the US.

Mario Kart and Zelda may end up being my next 2 purchases

Nintendo basically sold me the Wii by releasing D.K.C. Returns right before Christmas, which allowed me to relive my donkey Kong glory days of middle school playing it on super Nintendo. Zelda and Karry would bring me right back to high school... (N64)

Yeah they maybe at the age where they find Kirby "too babyish" while not old enough to really see the greatness of everything there. If you want to relive your childhood, NBA Jam is very good. As for Epic Mickey, the decision to go with no voice acting in a game with so much text is strange.

Party games might be a good idea. Stick to the nintendo brand in general, though if you kids are boys they might really love Rabids Through Time.

Has anyone heard what kind of updates might be on the MLB2k11 version? I just got a Wii for Christmas as well, and am probably most excited about getting this game. I think that the release date last year was March, but that's about all I know on it right now.

Sorry, this is a little off the topic of this thread. Our family does not own Wii and the only games I played on Wii are the Sports Resort or Sports games that come with most Wii systems. My sister-in-law and her husband own Wii and we also got it for my parents as a Christmas gift. The biggest gripe I have with they system is the remotes and using more than one to play a game.

The process you have to go through seems overly complicated (especially when you are trying to explain it to 75+ year olds). First you have to go to the Wii menu, then you have to select to add a remote (which is not very self explanatory), then you have to press 1 and 2 at the same time on all the remotes you want to use, then you have to place all the remotes on a flat surface to "calibrate" them. From what I can tell, you have to go through this process each time you want to play a game that requires more than one remote. I can't believe they could not have simplified this somewhat.

edit: I have know idea what happened with the paragraphs of this post. Half way through typing it, all the typing entered from the right and I couldn't change it or fix it. I was hoping that when I posted it it would correct itself.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

My 6 year old and I play Endless Ocean: Blue World a LOT. It's pretty low key and almost quietly eerie, but it does a good job simulating scuba diving and there are endless (pun intended) amounts of areas and sea creatures to discover.

My girlfriend and I have been having a lot of fun with "Just Dance!" and "Just Dance 2!". High energy games that are competitive and will make you sweat. Always nice to play a video game that doesn't lead to being a couch potato. If it seems too old for your kids, my 8 year old sister introduced me to the game, so kids will enjoy it as well.

The Super Mario Galaxy games are best the system has to offer. They may be a bit challenging for your kids now, but I bet you'd love playing them. Kirby's Epic Yarn has really great two-player co-op, better than New Super Mario Bros.

If you're at all in to music or rhythm type games, Rock Band is the best series. I don't know how it plays on Wii because I have it for PS3, but it's super fun multiplayer.

Patrick the second remote should always be connected, though it does get a little confusing to add a third and fourth.

I would also throw in the Wii Fit. (unless you are scared to take a look at your weight periodically but you don't have to)

Some of the balance and aerobic games on there are hilarious especially if you don't hit the ski jump just right.

The aerobic stepper is an excellent workout.

Tennis on the Wii Sports is also a great workout.

We just finished a couple of fun filled hours playing Wheel of Fortune. My daughter is 6 1/2, and it's a little advanced for her, both in content and spelling. But she still likes dressing up her Mii characters and unlocking different unlockables.

I see her growing into it over the next couple of years.

My daughter (age 9) also enjoys the Wheel of Fortune game, however the ultimate time consumer since Christmas has been Wii Party. It's a bunch of addicting mini-games that are played in an effort to win a theme game. Honestly, I didn't get it, but it's constantly being played. I just got done getting whooped, but she sure had fun beating me. A great family game.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived