Brewer Fanatic

Brewers interested in Fuentes -- Latest: Signs with Oakland

The Brewers are one of 11 teams interested in Fuentes. I'd be all for this signing, and if it happened then we would have a stacked bullpen. Imagine a bullpen of Axford, Saito, Hawkins, Fuentes, Braddock, Loe, and Parra. That would be awesome.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Part of me thinks Heyman heard that the Brewers were interested in Fuentes before they signed Saito. I just don't see how there's room in the budget or in the bullpen for him now, and he's really not all that good.

It'd be interesting if Melvin was stockpiling former closers, though, just in case he could trade one at the deadline to a team in need for a shortstop or some midlevel prospects (sort of like what he gave San Diego for Linebrink). I doubt that's what he's aiming to do, but it's fun to think about.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Part of me thinks Heyman heard that the Brewers were interested in Fuentes before they signed Saito. I just don't see how there's room in the budget or in the bullpen for him now, and he's really not all that good.

It'd be interesting if Melvin was stockpiling former closers, though, just in case he could trade one at the deadline to a team in need for a shortstop or some midlevel prospects (sort of like what he gave San Diego for Linebrink). I doubt that's what he's aiming to do, but it's fun to think about.

Assuming interest in Fuentes is truly post-Saito signing, I think this would be Melvin's angle. As we are currently situated in both the Majors and Minors, I don't see what would be left to make a deal for an impact SS or CF at the deadline without creating a different hole in our everyday lineup by trading a Rickie, Prince or McGehee.

I'm sure the Brewers called on Fuentes at one point, but I think Heyman's just behind the times on this one.

I'm 99.9% sure this is the case. No, screw it, 100%. There's no way the Brewers are in on Fuentes now. Heyman just doesn't know enough about the Brewers to know the 40-man is now full.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Tito anyone?

Bamberger, I'm old!

Happy New Year

Only if he promises to wear the headband with 'TITO' written on it. That was one of my favorite baseball cards way back in the day. We have to keep in mind that he's probably around 70 now, so his range at SS won't be very good. That said, he should be able to put up a better OBP than Escobar did last year.

• 3 weeks later...

With the A's signing Fuentes and Balfour, they now seem to have an overload of BP arms. Could you see Melvin pulling a trade with BB to snag one of them for one of our bats? I was reading they could use a better bat at 3B. There's no way we get rid of McGehee, so what are your thoughts of the possibility of Melvin trading Gamel during Spring Training if he shows signs of getting a hot bat?

Joey Devine looks pretty stellar so I doubt we'd Melvin would be able to get him, but what about Blevins or Breslow? They're both lefties. Not sure if we need another lefty in our BP, but both of these guys seem pretty reliable.

I'm not so sure the BP isn't a need for us right now. In all do respects to Gamel, he really hasn't shown that much in his opportunities in the bigs. I've been paying attention to him throughout his career and I understand his upside, but he has yet to show the ability to get on the field consistently. A good quality arm in the BP matched up with our Starting rotation can go a far way. I'm looking at Cincy and what they have with Chapman and the Cubs when Marmol was that guy. Unhittable! I like Saito, but I would still like to see someone younger and more reliable than Hawkins.

As I'm typing, I've changed my mind and realized that we'll need Gamel after Prince leaves. I still think we should tap into the A's BP however...what trade chips do we have to obtain one?

Well, I'm not as enamored as some are on this board with Mat Gamel...but I think you hit the nail on the head with your second paragraph. Gamel is insurance for when Fielder leaves. We really don't have anyone else currently in the upper levels of the system who could step in and play a corner infield position, and probably put up similar numbers to what Gamel probably will.

If the team does find itself needing a reliever in spring training, you're not going to find a guy anywhere comparable to Marmol/Chapman at that point. So the asking price will be a lot less anyway.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

In all do respects to Gamel, he really hasn't shown that much in his opportunities in the bigs.

His offense was lg-avg. for the 3B position as a rookie in '09. He had all of 17 PAs in '10. He didn't light the world on fire like Braun, but prospects tend not to. I agree with others that trading him for a bullpen arm is a bad idea.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived