Brewer Fanatic

Capuano will not return to Milwaukee

PeaveyFury

As it dragged on longer and longer, this seemed inevitable. My guess is that the Brewers probably offered him a low base-incentive laden deal, and he balked, because if they are penciling in Narveson as the 5, it would be tough to earn those incentives. Based on how Capuano pitched late last season, he would have been a solid #5, so it's too bad something couldn't be worked out for depth if nothing else. He must have a couple offers on the table better than the Brewers.

I'm not sold on Narveson, but he's OK as a #5. As others have said, the real problem comes with the inevitable injury(ies) and you have to go to the #6, 7 or even #8 guy. I, for one, never want to see Manny Parra ever start another game as a Brewer, so I hope he's not in that equation (though I fear that he will be if someone else isn't brought in).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd have more confidence in Narveson than Capuano as the 5th starter at this point. Cappy would be fine for depth but as others have mentioned he probably wants a shot at more than emergency starter/bullpen long relief. He may or may not have a better offer out there but he may want to test the market more and see if someone will offer up a shot in the rotation. I would have my doubt about counting on him for 150 innings but you never know.

It would have been nice to have Capuano available as a spot or replacement starter. I'm betting he'll have a solid year somewhere. Just a great competitor. I agree with the others on this board that have given up on Parra.

That was more a joke. Yea they can call up someone but they need a 4 inning guy in Milwaukee. The whole call someone up thing is nice until they pitched the day before and your forced to go with option #3. I like the bullpen but its got a lot of handle gently labels on it. Loe shouldn't face left handers, Saito, Hawkins and Braddock likely shouldn't pitch on consecutive days or for more than 1inning, Parra is best if limited to 1 to 2 innings at most.
They should have a 3-4 day notice if someone isn't going to make his start. There is no way they let Rogers (or whomever is planned for emergency) pitch if there is a question about the next day's MLB staff.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I decided it wouldn't be good form for me to say something negative about Capuano in the thread sending him messages.

But am I the only one that remembers that the duo of Capuano and Turnbow cost the Brewers a division title in 2007?

Without looking at stats. I remember Capuano going on a long losing streak, but frankly, I blame the 2007 meltdown more on a couple of incredulous loses in Texas (Saturday night, Cordero blowing a big lead) and Philly (Sunday afternoon, Braun kicking a ball with another big lead blown). The gas can also known as Scott Linebrink should shoulder a lot of blame as well. Obviously, if Cordero doesn't give up the blast to Ramirez, that team wins the divison if Sheets doesn't get hurt.

I decided it wouldn't be good form for me to say something negative about Capuano in the thread sending him messages.

But am I the only one that remembers that the duo of Capuano and Turnbow cost the Brewers a division title in 2007?

Hell, you might as well blame it on Cordero. He couldn't hold a two run lead against the Cubs in the 9th inning, gave up 3, Brewers lose. If he saves that game they finish tied.

Don't forget Vargas' 9.00 August ERA, Bush's 5.60 over Aug and Sept, or any other guy who bombed for part of the season. The better part of that roster could be blamed for the team losing the division that year. They won 83 games - it's not like they were a great team playing in a division with no room for error who lost due to a couple of poor performances costing them the hundredth win.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From Chris' hometown paper here in Massachusetts --

Capuano signs $1.5 million contract with Mets

By Garry Brown, MassLive.com

Chris Capuano of West Springfield agreed Monday to a contract with the New York Mets that will give him a chance to be a starting pitcher again.

The one-year deal guarantees him $1.5 million, and has further incentives based on starts and innings pitched.

Capuano, 32, is a former Cathedral High School and Duke University pitcher. He twice has had his career interrupted by elbow injuries.

He came back last season after missing the 2008 and ’09 seasons while recovering from tendon transplant surgery. The Milwaukee Brewers used him mainly out of the bullpen, although he did get to make nine starts as he posted a 4-4 record and 3.95 ERA.

In 2005, he went 18-12 as a full-time starter with the Brewers. The next season, he also pitched in the rotation and made the All-Star team before enduring a second-half slump that left him with an 11-12 record. He went 5-12 over 25 starts in 2007.

This 6-2, 225-pound left-hander came to the big leagues as a draftee of the Arizona Diamondbacks. He signed with them in 1999, and made the major league team in 2003. In December of ’03, he went to the Brewers as part of an eight-player trade in which the D-backs acquired slugger Richie Sexson.

Capuano spent Monday in New York, passing a physical and signing the contract. He could not be reached for comment because he was flying back to his home in Scottsdale, Ariz.

In the negotiations, he was represented by agents Mike Moye and Scott Sanderson, a 19-year veteran of big league pitching.

“It came down to a couple of teams, and Chris just had a good feeling about the Mets,” said Frank Capuano, Chris’s father.

The other team was the Chicago Cubs.

The Mets are under new management, featuring long-time big league executive Sandy Alderson as their general manager.

Alderson was working for the Diamondbacks when Capuano made the big leagues.

“He told Chris that he’s the kind of veteran guy he wanted. He’s looking to plug him into the rotation as a starter. That’s what Chris wants, and he’ll be pitching in a park that’s good for lefthanders. He’ll also be a lot closer to home. We’re already looking forward to seeing him pitch against the Yankees (in interleague play),” Frank Capuano said.

“It’s really a wonderful opportunity for him to re-establish himself with a clean slate. The Mets know what he is – an athlete who’s always in shape and works hard.”

What about the challenge that comes with playing in New York?

“Chris is level-headed, and he’s passionate about baseball and being a starter,” his father said.

It's pretty much a perfect fit for Chris. He has a good chance of ending up in their rotation, and their ballpark plays to his strengths. He'll do fine with the media, too...he's smart, funny, and insightful. I think they'll love him there. Best of luck.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I hate that he went to my least favorite team, but I wish him the best. He always seemed like a great guy -- smart, funny, happy to be in Milwaukee -- and he showed a lot of character coming back from a second catastrophic injury. As others have pointed out from the Brewers' side, coming back here made no sense from Cappy's side either. He wants a rotation spot, and he deserves his shot at it. He doesn't want to be a sixth starter.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rotoworld:

Chris Capuano could earn as much as $4.5 million in his one-year contract with the Mets.

A lot of things would have to go right in order for this to actually happen. Capuano will earn a $1.5 million base salary with the club, but it could jump to $4.5 million should he toss 200 innings and make 32 starts. Capuano hasn't done either since 2006, but if he does, the Mets probably won't find paying him.

Source: ESPNNewYork.com

Long list of incentive details at the link above.

It's interesting that the Cubs were one of two teams in the running.

We may never know but I sit here wondering that if all else was equal (offer, opportunity to start etc) - and I don't know if it was or not - did he choose the Mets over the Cubs as a gesture to Brewers fans? We've been told that he'd be reading the thread where people posted messages to him, which says that he cares what the Brewers fans think, and many people there begged him to not choose the Cubs...

If so - good for you Cappy. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• 1 month later...

Capuano reported to Met's camp early and it sounds like they are pretty impressed with what he has shown so far:

NY Post story on Capuano

Reality check. It's February. It will be interesting to see how he does over a full season but it's a lot to expect him to be the guy he was in 05. Even if he does well, it's not likely the Mets will contend. If the Brewers are in position where they need a starter at midseason, I'm sure he'd be on their radar given his history.

• 1 month later...
Bumped for relevance. Lost in the giddiness over the Marcum/Greinke moves was Melvin's decision not to pursue Capuano. Looks like a bad move already, because Cappy has picked up from where he left off last year and has been lights out this spring- with a 1 something ERA.

Who really knows what happened for sure but I believed Melvin was quoted as saying that Capuano wanted to be somewhere where he could break into the rotation from the outset of the season. The Brewers, as they were set up, didn't necessarily offer that opportunity.

Archived