Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Takashi Saito- 1 year/2 million; 40-man roster now full

reillymcshane
Great signing, especially because who knows for sure about Axford? Closers are funny creatures. I think it is likely that Axford stays great but who knows he could be Derrick Turnbow 2.0
Good point and one I don't see discussed much around here. We all want to believe Axford will continue to be great. But he averaged 6 walks per 9 innings his last foru seasons in the minors. That's discouraging.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great signing, especially because who knows for sure about Axford? Closers are funny creatures. I think it is likely that Axford stays great but who knows he could be Derrick Turnbow 2.0

Saito gives us insurance and a good solid pitcher every other day

No doubt the Brewers are going for it... I suspect the next major move will be trading for an All-Star shortstop in July

Precisely. Even if Axford were to implode and not end up being the long term solution in the back end, this is not likely to be a season where Braddock would be allowed on the job training. In a year where expectations will be high, a proven commodity such as Saito is a must ala Salomon Torres in 2008.

not down on Saito at all, and we certainly have the pieces to give him a rest every other day. but i really thought the last rotation spot would have gone to a backup SS (since Counsel can't really play every day if needs be), or a backup CF. am i forgetting a name? Who's our backup CF?

Love it, I've always liked Saito, and prefer all my relievers on 1 year deals. This guy is one of the more underappreciated players in baseball.

2 moves I love in 1 offseason? What the heck is happening?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Love it, I've always liked Saito, and prefer all my relievers on 1 year deals. This guy is one of the more underappreciated players in baseball.

2 moves I love in 1 offseason? What the heck is happening?

Just 2?

Macha, Marcum, Greinke, and Saito for a start!http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Although I think the 13-man staff is excessive, I really hope that they find a spot for Capuano. It would be nice depth to have in case of an injury.

I love our top 5, but if one of them gets hurt, we'd turn to Parra (shudder) or Rogers/Rivas. The youngsters can probably handle it, but I'd rather have a battle-tested (copyright Ned Yost) vet like Cappy especially if we are in the thick of a pennant race.

not down on Saito at all, and we certainly have the pieces to give him a rest every other day. but i really thought the last rotation spot would have gone to a backup SS (since Counsel can't really play every day if needs be), or a backup CF. am i forgetting a name? Who's our backup CF?

Did you mean spot on the 40-man roster?

They still have Cruz on the 40 man as an emergency SS option if both Betancourt and Counsell go down.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

but I'd rather have a battle-tested (copyright Ned Yost) vet....
A gamer, a fighter, and a hardworker?

As long as he's gritty.

Sait-y?

Used as: "Saity really battled out there, and was only one pitch away from getting out of that jam."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The team definitely has the depth to cover a DL stint, and It's hard not to like that career ERA. 50 more or less lights out innings. I can handle that requiring some careful workload managing. As others have said that's way easier with our current staff than past years.

Something I was just thinking: This move seems a bit surprising. Milwaukee isn't usually known for attracting free agent Asian players, especially ones coming off good seasons. It's hard to think there wasn't a somewhat decent amount of interest in Saito. Maybe he was attracted to signing with the Brewers due to seeing a shot at the post-season? I'm just speculating on this.
An interesting point in McCalvy's article is that Saito is represented by CAA Sports, the same group that represents Braun, Hart, and Greinke. I wonder how much that may have played a role in Saito coming here.

An interesting point in McCalvy's article is that Saito is represented by CAA Sports, the same group that represents Braun, Hart, and Greinke. I wonder how much that may have played a role in Saito coming here.

Do they happen to represent any FA SSs?

Great veteran bullpen arm on a 1 year deal. Love this signing. Just have to watch his innings. I think this pretty much leaves 1 bullpen spot open for a spring training battle. Barring injury the pen locks seem to be: Axford, Braddock, Loe, Saito, Parra and Hawkins.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

This is a great move. Couldn't have expected to get him for any less, and the Brewers do have a fairly young bullpen for the most part. Love that we get a Type A FA without having to give up anything. I like that we have some depth in AAA with options for the inevitable injuries that will happen.

Where I come from, Sait-y means +$+$++. I think that's a bad nickname.

Yea, i have no clue what that means, but you definitely have piqued my interest .

Back on topic, I'm a fan of adding any pitcher with an ERA at 2.82, and a WHIP of 1.07. Being 40 gives me hesitation, but we have other options in the pen, so it's not like the bullpen will succeed or fail based solely off of his year.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived