Brewer Fanatic

What are some projections for the Cubs this year?

BREWCREW5

For what it's worth, I really liked the Pena signing for the Cubs, and I like that they've got a lot of good young arms in the bullpen. Outside of that, though, they seem to be an average-ish team that in some ways could resemble the Brewers of the past couple years -- you can probably pencil them in for 80 wins or so, but they'll need a few breaks to finish above .500 and they don't seem to be an especially fun team to watch.

It's kind of a shame, because as fun as the next couple years should be for the Brewers, it would've been even more fun if the Cubs were in a position to compete, too. I'd much rather be fighting with the Cubs than the Reds or Cardinals.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

And to those of you that are languishing in our 102 year drought, I would remind you that the last Brewers World Series winner is best described by Buzz Lightyear.
...that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

To those of you who had mostly sarcasm to add, I wish you a return to the glory years of 1983-2007.

And to those of you that are languishing in our 102 year drought, I would remind you that the last Brewers World Series winner is best described by Buzz Lightyear.

I apologize for any wise-cracks or jokes I have made against the Cubs. An internet message board is in no way an appropriate place for light-hearted jokes, especially those poking fun at a rival baseball club. Our comments are completely inappropriate, and I know the good folks over at NSBB would never be so insolent as to behave like we have here at Brewerfan.net.

Well I just spent New Year's eve in Chicago and was informed by an aquaintance that the Cub's pitching staff is still better than the Brewers because Zambrano is just as good if not better than Greinke and that Dempster is better than Gallardo. They also have Kerry Wood back in the pen who along with Marmol makes their pen stronger. He didn't know who Marcum was, but since he played for the Blue Jays he couldn't be that good. He was sure the Brewers and Cubs would battle for 3rd but could see the Cubs surprising people and pushing for the wild card if their bats return to form.

I kid you not, this was a real conversation. I really just let him talk because it was loud and I really didn't feel like arguing with him but it just reminded me of the mentality.

Edit: I should add this guy is a college grad, probably in his early to mid 30's, not a little kid.

Well I just spent New Year's eve in Chicago and was informed by an aquaintance that the Cub's pitching staff is still better than the Brewers because Zambrano is just as good if not better than Grienke and that Dempster is better than Gallardo. They also have Kerry Wood back in the pen who along with Marmol makes their pen stronger. He didn't know who Marcum was, but since he played for the Blue Jays he couldn't be that good. He was sure the Brewers and Cubs would battle for 3rd but could see the Cubs surprising people and pushing for the wild card if their bats return to form.

I kid you not, this was a real conversation. I really just let him talk because it was loud and I really didn't feel like arguing with him but it just reminded me of the mentality.

How drunk and/or high was this individual? It sounds to me that he was more intoxicated than Harry Caray on getaway day.

http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/media/images/articles/harry5.png

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

...that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Actually definitions 5 and 6 do apply.

lan·guish

[lang-gwish]

–verb (used without object)

1. to be or become weak or feeble; droop; fade.

2. to lose vigor and vitality.

3. to undergo neglect or experience prolonged inactivity; suffer hardship and distress: to languish in prison for ten years.

4. to be subjected to delay or disregard; be ignored: a petition that languished on the warden's desk for a year.

5. to pine with desire or longing.

6. to assume an expression of tender, sentimental melancholy.

Funketown your sarcasm is well noted.

BTW I am not a member of NSBB, have visited it only twice, and do not care for most of its posters.

Liverock you encountered one of the Cubs idiot fans - believe it or not ALL teams have them, including the Brewers.

None of those definitions really apply here. Relishing would have been a better word. Such as

And to those of you that are relishing our 102 year drought, I would remind you that the last Brewers World Series winner is best described by Buzz Lightyear.
Possibly

And to those of you that are basking in the glory of our 102 year drought, I would remind you that the last Brewers World Series winner is best described by Buzz Lightyear.
maybe

And to those of you that are enjoying the futility of our 102 year drought, I would remind you that the last Brewers World Series winner is best described by Buzz Lightyear.
how about

And to those of you that are savoring our 102 year drought, I would remind you that the last Brewers World Series winner is best described by Buzz Lightyear.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

OK

I'm languishing.

You are savoring.

Actually I typed in haste, realized it was the wrong word, left it alone because I didn't think anybody would make a big deal out of it, and then tried to make it work.

I apologize only to Mr Penfield, my Freshman English teacher (who more than likely has been dead for 20 years).

OK

I'm languishing.

You are savoring.

Actually I typed in haste, realized it was the wrong word, left it alone because I didn't think anybody would make a big deal out of it, and then tried to make it work.

I apologize only to Mr Penfield, my Freshman English teacher (who more than likely has been dead for 20 years).

That's cool. We are just busting your chops a bit. It is very unfortunate, for Cubs fans, that the organization is so poorly run. They have invested poorly in players and now are stuck for a couple years. I am not sure why Hendry is still employed.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Liverock you encountered one of the Cubs idiot fans - believe it or not ALL teams have them, including the Brewers.
While this is true, most of the good and knowledgable Cubs fans I know (I live in Wriggleyvill so I know a lot of good and bad ones) are perfectly willing to admit that the Cubs fanbase as a whole is very unknowledgable. Wriggley is still mostly a beer garden.

Last year me and my friend (also a Brewer fan) were in a drinking game at a house party near Belmont with a bunch of Cubs fans. During a segment of categories we went deeper than everyone else at naming players on their roster. Most bowed out when they couldn't go beyond Marmol in their bullpen or when they named players who hadn't been on the team for a year or two. These are the same people who will defend their team and say they this is their year.

Yea, that happens with Brewers fans, but it is much more prevalent with Cubs fans in my experience having lived among both fanbases.

Archived