Brewer Fanatic

Is Podsednik an option?

rickh150

Podsednik to Milwaukee?

1. He has a nice lifetime OBP,.340ish I believe.

2. He could start in CF, backup the other positions, and most importantly, bat second.

3. He's a lefthanded hitter, has played in Milwaukee and enjoyed his time here.

4. Scotty can bunt, run, and provides some professionalism and hustle.

5. He won't cost that much, and a two year contract probably would get it done. Call it an upgrade over Dickerson.

The Angels appear interested, but maybe we could have an edge now that we are viewed as definite playoff contenders.

I know a lot of people probably don't like this idea, but I actually wouldn't mind. First and foremost, it would finally get Weeks out of the lead-off spot. You could then bat Weeks either second or sixth, with Corey Hart taking the other spot. Defensively it would be a drop off from Gomez but offensively he would probably be an upgrade. His OBP is ok, but I'm sure it would be better than either Gomez or Dickerson could put up. I'd say maybe offer him a one year deal with a team option for 2012 to see how Schaeffer, Gindl, and Komatsu do.

It actually makes a lot of sense. I believe Pods led the Majors in batting average the first month of the season. Play him when he's hot, and when he's not, play Gomez. He's lost some speed since he was here, but he's really perfected the slap hit/bunting for a single, etc.

However, the Reds are interested too.

I know a lot of people probably don't like this idea, but I actually wouldn't mind. First and foremost, it would finally get Weeks out of the lead-off spot. You could then bat Weeks either second or sixth, with Corey Hart taking the other spot. Defensively it would be a drop off from Gomez but offensively he would probably be an upgrade. His OBP is ok, but I'm sure it would be better than either Gomez or Dickerson could put up. I'd say maybe offer him a one year deal with a team option for 2012 to see how Schaeffer, Gindl, and Komatsu do.

Saying that Podsednik would be a drop off defensively in CF is being very kind, it would be a massive drop off.

He would be an improvement offensively, but I don't know how many more bad defensive players we can handle.

No kidding. Put Podsednik in CF with Betancourt at SS and the Brewers would have nothing but mediocre to bad defensive players at every single position on the diamond. An outfield trio of Podsednik in CF, Braun in LF, and Hart in RF would be either the worst or close to the worst defensive trio in all of baseball and it's not like our infield defense would be stellar either.

No kidding. Put Podsednik in CF with Betancourt at SS and the Brewers

would have nothing but mediocre to bad defensive players at every

single position on the diamond.

A smart manager would not put them in the game together. Since Macha is gone, maybe we have a shot. Pods is in the game with Counsell (tough rightie pitchers). You let Pods bat 3 times and replace him in about the 6-7 inning with Gomez.

Reverse the situation when you are facing lefties. Benecourt and Gomez start and replace Benecourt in the 6-7 inning. You may need to keep Cruz or bring him up once the grind starts.

I'd rather they sign a defense oriented OF who can play all over. I'm in the minority probably but CF doesn't bother me that much. Gomez brings enough with his glove to have some value and Dickerson has shown some good things at times as well. SS is a much more pressing concern to me since Betancourt is replacement level.

I'd rather they sign a defense oriented OF who can play all over. I'm in the minority probably but CF doesn't bother me that much. Gomez brings enough with his glove to have some value and Dickerson has shown some good things at times as well. SS is a much more pressing concern to me since Betancourt is replacement level.
You are not alone. We got very little out of CF last year. I think Gomez and Dickerson will play enough defense to match anything we got last year. SS wasn't great either but we got worse defensively there depending on who plays.

Split OBP SLG OPS
as C .311 .365 .676
as 1B .398 .468 .866
as 2B .366 .465 .831
as 3B .341 .462 .803
as SS .284 .316 .600
as LF .368 .496 .864
as CF .306 .380 .686
as RF .336 .511 .848
as DH .214 .174 .388

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm with you on CF so long as Gomez and Dickerson are platooned pretty strictly. While i'd like a better full time SS option to be brought in, it looks like that won't happen. Hopefully then Betancourt gets very limited numbers of starts vs righthanders and Counsell won't wear down if asked to start at least 70-80 games when a righty is on the mound.

The only redeeming quality that Betancourt possesses is that he hits lefties pretty well, a career .318OBP and .753OPS when facing them. If in a platoon, Betancourt hit somewhere near his norm vs lefties and the same for Counsell vs righties, the offensive production at least would be quite a bit better than what we got last year from Escobar. Plus, around half of the games would have the defense of Counsell at shortstop.

I just don't see Dickerson personally. The Reds gave up on him awfully easily and he did next to nothing for the Brewers last year.

The guy I'd like to see at least get an opportunity in CF is Boggs. He may not be as accomplished defensively as the other 2, but he posted a .406 OBP at AAA last year and could fit nicely in the 2nd spot in the order. Even his one year in the bigs when he hit just .226 for Texas, his OBP was a respectable .333.

Archived