Brewer Fanatic

Other Teams Interest in Hoffman

I think now that the Brewers are clearly going for it they should see if he would be interested in coming back on the cheap. If he enjoyed playing for the team and the players it might give him another chance to play for a winner and you just never know when you are going to need a closer. I would hope that he is more interested in playing for a winner in a situation that he is happy in then just going to whatever bad team will hand him the closers job. It might be a win-win situation.

I know this sounds dumb but I think he'd be more valuable to Milwaukee signing with another team and allowing the Brewers to get another draft pick at the end of round one. He wants to be a closer and Milwaukee won't give him that opportunity, nor should they.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I know this sounds dumb but I think he'd be more valuable to Milwaukee signing with another team and allowing the Brewers to get another draft pick at the end of round one.

That isn't dump at all! I would wager that most of us would prefer that. We need high draft picks now to refill the farm system. Even if he came back cheap, I'm not so sure I'd be on board. He looked ok at the end of the season, but I wouldn't want to bet too much on him continuing that way.

Question: I know this rarely happens in BB, but if SD signed him to a one-day "retirement contract", would that give the Brewers a draft pick?

Question: I know this rarely happens in BB, but if SD signed him to a one-day "retirement contract", would that give the Brewers a draft pick?
I can't imagine it would. I'm guessing those don't really count as real contracts.

the draft pick compensation expires in June, i believe. so SD could just wait until then so sign him to that one-day contract. plus that would give Hoffman a little extra time to find work if a closer somewhere happens to get injured.

i'm really hoping SD signs him, even for a short period. he really deserves to have one last save in a San Diego uniform before he walks away from a HOF career. it didn't even look natural to see him in a Milwaukee uniform, though cool that "..played in Milwaukee.." will be on yet another plaque in Cooperstown in a few years.

Archived