Brewer Fanatic

Driver who Killed Nick Adenhart Gets 51 Years to Life

splitterpfj

I really don't agree with the sentence to be honest. There should be extremely harsh consequences but you see pedophiles and people who sell crack to minors get smaller sentences. This is one of those cases where I think the guy actually can be rehabilitated and I don't believe most criminals can be.

I really don't agree with the sentence to be honest. There should be extremely harsh consequences but you see pedophiles and people who sell crack to minors get smaller sentences. This is one of those cases where I think the guy actually can be rehabilitated and I don't believe most criminals can be.
Drunken Driving is as big a no-no as selling crack to minors and is just as big of a problem in society.

This guy knew drunk driving is wrong and that this outcome was a possibility when he got behind the wheel. Whats sickening is that this wasn't his first offense. Shows how badly our nation needs to make the 1st time a significant punishment- 3-6 months in prison first offense sounds about right to me.

Ennder, with all due respect this guy was a repeat offender who was at three times the legal limit at the time of the accident. My brother was killed by a repeat offender as well. I have an in-law who has gone to prison repeatedly and yet keeps falling off the wagon, and by the grace of God hasn't killed anybody yet. I may be biased, but there are some are not able to be rehabilitated, at least with current knowledge and practices. I pray that changes in the future.

The DD laws are messed up. Personally I think they should go back to .1 BAC, but with much stiffer fines for first violations and second violations should be at .08 BAC , and much more severe.

It's the repeat offenders that I hate. Those are people that don't give a rip about anyone else. Anyone can make a mistake once and drive drunk and get caught, especially given variations in alcohol content in drinks and people's reaction to it.

The criminals that do it over and over again and get caught and have no remorse are the problem. I don't have a problem with 51 years for a repeat offender that killed someone. They should do that with every repeat offender.

It's nice to see some justice in this case, but it doesn't reverse what happened. I wish the laws were stricter than they currently are. I just read in my local paper about a man going to jail for his 7th DUI. How in the world is someone still driving after 6 DUIs? Nick will be missed.

I just think its interesting still how Donte Stallworth does basically the same thing, but gets a slap on the wrist and is playing football again.

The Stallworth case was much different. The guy he hit ran out into the middle of traffic on a busy six lane road early in the morning. Stallworth stopped immediately and called 911 and cooperated fully with the police. Gallo, who was on parole for a felony DUI, ran a red light and fled the scene. I even remember a quote from a family member of Reyes stating they felt bad for Stallworth as well since it was a very unfortunate accident.

I'm not absolving Stallworth from all blame, but the situation was certainly different than what happened with Adenhart. I don't know if Gallo deserves to die in prison, but what he did was remarkably callous.

I really don't agree with the sentence to be honest.

This was my first reaction as well --- but then I realized that 2 other people besides Adenhart died as well, and another person had his spine separated from his skull.

Pretty sad story, I guess the only good thing, is that it has closure now.

I really don't agree with the sentence to be honest.

This was my first reaction as well --- but then I realized that 2 other people besides Adenhart died as well, and another person had his spine separated from his skull.

Pretty sad story, I guess the only good thing, is that it has closure now.

I also didn't realize it was a 3rd offense which makes it seem more reasonable.

RIP Nick

It's

nice to see some justice in this case, but it doesn't reverse what

happened. I wish the laws were stricter than they currently are. I

just read in my local paper about a man going to jail for his 7th DUI.

How in the world is someone still driving after 6 DUIs? Nick will be

missed.

CA is pretty strict on DUI laws, especially when

compared to Wisconsin. Sadly, it takes something like this to get

peoples attention and I fear that Wisconsin will never change until

something similar happens in this state......... I don't want to start a debate, but I just don't get why this state refuses to make a change when it is such a huge problem here.

My position on this is...the sentence is deserved.

The thing is, hating this man is understandable, and probably unavoidable for the people closest to the situation...but the hatred won't help them.

There is no good side...three innocent people are dead, another had a major injury, scores of others are hurt by it...and the guilty guy is in jail.

Simply tragic.

I just think its interesting still how Donte Stallworth does basically the same thing, but gets a slap on the wrist and is playing football again.

The Stallworth case was much different. The guy he hit ran out into the middle of traffic on a busy six lane road early in the morning. Stallworth stopped immediately and called 911 and cooperated fully with the police. Gallo, who was on parole for a felony DUI, ran a red light and fled the scene. I even remember a quote from a family member of Reyes stating they felt bad for Stallworth as well since it was a very unfortunate accident.

I'm not absolving Stallworth from all blame, but the situation was certainly different than what happened with Adenhart. I don't know if Gallo deserves to die in prison, but what he did was remarkably callous.

Another big difference is that this is Gallo's 3rd offense and it was Stallworth's 1st. Plus, in Gallo's previous offenses he was told that if he did drive drunk again and killed someone, he could and would be charged with 2nd degree murder which he was. He knew the consequences and how serious the ramifications would be. It was his choice and he chose poorly.

Another point that came up from Gallo's defense lawyer was that he only drove because his drinking buddy in-law was too drunk. Don't you almost have to be dead to be more drunk than someone who is over 3 times the legal limit? Why would you even take your car out to the bar when you know the consequences of another DUI? Well, if you think the laws don't apply to you, you do. Gallo's arrogance and disregard for things put in place to protect us from idiots like him mean that 3 families have a space at their Xmas table this and every year from now on. He deserves every day of his sentence, and the sooner Wisconsin gets its head out of the 19th century and imposes tougher sentencing for DUI, the safer I'll feel driving in this state...

This may be a non-baseball topic, but I'll roll with it.

There are plenty of screwed up things out here in California, but I'm glad they are locking up this criminal for a long time. It won't bring those kids back, but maybe it will keep this thug from doing it again. Unfortunately with prison overcrowding he still might get out eventually. The Tavern League in Wisconsin has blocked the needed reform my old state needs for more strict rules. Having the most lenient DD laws in the country is not something to be proud of. I'm glad the Journal took them on last year...hopefully they keep the heat on to toughen up those laws. It's a real black eye for Wisconsin.

There is no good side...

The silver lining is that this guy hopefully will never hurt anyone ever again. The purpose of jail is as much to keep harmful people out of society as it is to rehabilitate them and change them into productive members of society. Someone who has repeatedly broken the same law has no respect for the law or why it is in place to protect society; therefore they need to protect society from this person.

There was no reason for that person to drive. None. So what if the person who was supposed to give you a ride was drunk too - go sleep it off on the couch, on the floor, somewhere. Don't get that drunk to begin with. Nothing is that important to have any reason to drive when drunk.

This is the scariest part of the article:

"Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said his office has won 49 convictions for drunk driving homicides since 2008."

49 drunk driving homicides in Orange County in two years.

This is the scariest part of the article:

"Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said his office has won 49 convictions for drunk driving homicides since 2008."

49 drunk driving homicides in Orange County in two years.

Obviously the ideal number would be 0 - but based on population, that number is fantastic compared to WI. Latest census had OC population at 3 million and the state of WI at about 5.5 million, yet WI had 208 fatalities in 2008 and that was by far the best year on record. Every other year in the decade was in 300's and was often in the 400's during the 1980's........... Annually, alcohol plays a role in about 50% of driving fatalities in WI, just sad when you think about it.

Because the two situations aren't-even-similar.

Stallworth was buzzed and a guy jumped out in front of him. Hell, the Police speculated that the alcohol had no influence. Worthy of prison time, absolutely.

Now a guy who's constantly blasted just blasting through into a bunch of kids and killing 3 of them? Cmon....

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have a friend who's in prison right now. He lives (and was charged with DUI) in Wisconsin. NINE DUI's. NINE. And he was still out of jail, and able to get in a car and kill a father, mother, and their child while driving under the influence.

His sentence? 25 years. I was told that he hopes he never gets let out, or he dies in prison.

NINE DUI's, and the guy was still able to get behind the wheel of a car and end three lives.

Pure evil. If you drink, don't drive. If you drive, don't drink. This is like 1st grade common sense. That scum bag has no sympathy from me, as I'll save it for those who suffer needlessly, are molested, or suffer health problems far too young.

Eternity is a long time to spend in hell, but he deserves every second.

Pure evil. If you drink, don't drive. If you drive, don't drink. This is like 1st grade common sense. That scum bag has no sympathy from me, as I'll save it for those who suffer needlessly, are molested, or suffer health problems far too young.

Eternity is a long time to spend in hell, but he deserves every second.

I think the punishment is appropriate and have many of the same feelings, but I reserve the term "pure evil" from those who intentionally inflict pain, rapist, molesters, etc..etc....

This is a kid who did an awful thing and ruined families, but I can't place him in the "eternal hell" category. Again, that's reserved for the sociopaths who enjoy the torture and murder of women, children...

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived