Brewer Fanatic

Are the Brewers out of ammunition?

I think we can all agree that the offseason has been great so far. My only concern, however, is that if the Brewers need to add a piece at the 2011 trade deadline, will they have the ammunition to do so? The way I see it, the Brewers are now down to 2 major pieces that could be used in a potential trade with Mark Rogers and Mat Gamel. Does this concern any of you? For this very reason, I would love to see Mark Rogers used as the #5 starter. Not only does this help to break him into the bigs while limiting his innings, but it also gives the Brewers an opportunity to showcase him and increase his value should they need to deal him for a missing piece.

Past the aforementioned guys, the next likely options would be the likes of Peralta, Heckathorn, Scarpetta, etc. Thinking back, it took Will Inman, who at the time looked to be much more promising than these guys, to acquire Scott Linebrink. Since I don't think any of our everyday position players are going to be expendable, I'm thinking that we are pretty much going to be without flexibility at the trade deadline.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining at all. Doug did the right thing by pulling the trigger on the Greinke trade now as he will contribute for the entire season. I'm just curious to hear the input from others on how much flexibiltiy they think we will have and what kind of realistic package could we put together if a SS or CF were to become available.

This is the exact logic that had me arguing that signing Pavano made good sense, even if for 3 years, because the Brewers still had all their assets except Lawrie.

I don't believe the cupboard's bare, but the glaringly positive options aren't quite as abundant as they were before this trade. I do believe Melvin has the wherewithal to pull off something should the need be there. It'll sure be interesting to see how things are progressing come July.

Archived