Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign RHP Sean Green to 1-year non-guaranteed deal worth $875K

And That

Courtesy the Brewers official Twitter feed, they have signed veteran reliever Sean Green to a 1-year deal.

Green does not throw extremely hard, but he gets a ton of ground balls - a lot more than Kameron Loe does, actually.

He missed most of the 2010 campaign with fractured ribs. Green was recently non-tendered by the Mets.

Fangraphs stats.

The Twitter link also notes that the Counsell signing is official.

Perfectly fine signing for the price, especially considering it's non-guaranteed. Seems like he could possibly fill the Coffey role -- throwing a ton of games, getting ground balls, etc. -- but without the extra few ticks on the fastball, and subsequently, less K's. There's a few bullpen spots still open, so a little open competition can't hurt.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The dealing of Jeffress who could well have made the team did leave a hole. But I have to wonder if they wouldn't have been better off keeping Villanueva especially since it's not appearing like they are getting anything of value for him anyway. Green doesn't exite me at all.

Green is a DM nugget-mining special. Might pan out, might amount to nothing. The former, obviously, would be preferable.

I'm still holding out hope for Capuano. Gotta have a long guy who can spot-start, and Cappy's experience to me counts for quite a lot, not to mention his success last year after nearly 2 years off. That guy can pitch well.

From Rotoworld last February --

Sean Green is hoping to give batters a different look with a below-sidearm delivery.

"In September I started dropping down progressively," said Green. "I carried that into the offseason, trying to find something. It feels good. It feels natural." Green is already one of the most consistent wormkillers in baseball, regardless of whether he is facing righties or lefties, but it will be interesting to see if he loses any of his effectiveness against left-handers with the more pronounced approach.

Spring training 2010 video

A month after the video was shot, Green was found to have a stress fracture in his right rib cage. He was sidelined all the way until mid-August, and Rotoworld reported at the time that he had returned to his 3/4 arm slot after trying out the submarine style earlier.

Green is a DM nugget-mining special. Might pan out, might amount to nothing.

Yeah, Doug is good for 1-2 minor signings a year where we wonder 'why bother' and then they end up being positive contributors. Not saying it'll be Green, but he fits the bill.

Archived