Brewer Fanatic

25 man roster

BrewCityUnit

What does everyone think? I think they will carry 13 position players and 12 pitchers.

C-Lucroy, Nieves

IF- Fielder, Weeks, Betancourt, McGhee, Gamel, Counsell

OF- Hart, Gomez, Braun, Dickerson, Boggs

SP- Greinke, Gallardo, Wolf, Marcum, Narveson

RP- Axford, Braddock, Loe, Parra, Hawkins, Saito, James

Only question marks for me would be at the back up catcher, Nieves or Kottaras. And the last bullpen spot. Right now I think I give the edge to Justin James.

I think 20 of 25 spots are locked. With the last 2 spots in the bullpen, backup catcher and final 2 bench positions up for grabs.

I agree Gamel and Boggs have the edge for the bench spots unless they want Gamel to play everyday at AAA.

Backup C is a tossup for who does best in ST between Nieves, Kottaras and Rivera.

I like McClendon for one of the last spots in the bullpen but it could be any number of guys.

What about Coffey? Any chance we bring him back? There was an article on SI's website about the Greinke deal and they still had Coffey in our bullpen, so i'm assuming that they don't know a whole lot about the brewers and just assumed that we brought him back.

Is DeFelice healthy again? I know we signed him to a minor league deal. When he was healthy two seasons ago, he seemed to really be able to get right handers out very well. Seemed like someone that would have a shot to find his way into the bullpen if healthy.

C: Lucroy, Nieves

IF: Fielder, Weeks, Betancourt, McGehee, Counsell, Cruz

OF: Braun, Gomez, Hart, Dickerson, Boggs

SP: Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum, Wolf, Narveson

Pen: Axford, Braddock, Loe, Parra, Hawkins, Green, Egan

Gamel starts in AAA to continue to get full PT. If a starting corner IF or corner OF gets hurt he gets the call and starts. If we need to bring a starter up for a spot start or injury we go with Rogers or Rivas. Bullpen arms ready in case of injury or ineffectiveness are McClendon, Kintzler and Merklinger.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

The rotation & starting 8 are set. Half or more of the bullpen is set.

position reserves:

1 of Kottaras/Nieves/Rivera

Counsell & Gamel

Dickerson/Gomez & Boggs

comments:

- I sure hope Gamel earns the spot, anyway, and Melvin went after Hinske because he wanted more pop on the bench

- I've been hoping for the return of Podsednik for quite a while now. He's got the speed Roenicke would favor. Boggs doesn't seem to do anything overly well.

bullpen:

givens -- Axford, Loe, Hawkins, Parra, Braddock

my 6th & 7th relievers -- Capuano & well, about anyone from McClendon, Kintzler, Egan, Green, etc.

comments:

- Between the rotation & Hawkins, somebody's bound to miss some time, which is why I think we need the skills & experience of Capuano (i.e., You need a 6th starter inevitably just like you need your 4th OF to be basically starter-quality, which basically we didn't have once Gomez proved the Emperor wasn't wearing any clothes, so to speak, & Edmonds was the starter.)

- Our young guys did well last year. But it's also quite conceivable that Braddock or Axford could almost as easily pitch their way back down to AAA for a time. I want Capuano around in that scenario, too, so our go-to guys aren't all just fellas right up from AAA.

(If you're following my posts this winter, it should be quite clear that I'm seriously rooting for the Brewers to re-sign Capuano. I've gotten on a similar kick lately re: Podsednik, who can be a very steady starter but who's also learned better how to come off the bench, too.)

One more (shorter) set of thoughts:

Current for-sure bench includes Counsell, a lousy-hitting catcher (take your pick & only Kottaras has even some pop), Dickerson, & Boggs. Another IF reserve will make the roster.

- Assuming the current 40-man, we have a potentially VERY lousy-hitting bench with practically no power.

- That's also a bench w/ VERY little experience outside Counsell -- much like '09, which was remedied last year w/ experienced guys Edmonds & Inglett.

- Defense counts for plenty, but the bench needs guys who can make some impact at the plate, not a collection of punch-&-judy hitters. If all we have are the latter, we'd just better hope no starters ever get hurt & no pitchers ever need to be PH'ed for with the game on the line.

Melvin surely must have some other moves up his sleeve, if for nothing else than at least to create some competition for the last roster spots & to improve the current lot.

I think Maldonado has a good shot at the backup catcher spot, he seems to be much better than Kottaras defensively especially in throwing out base runners. But he's the same age as Lucroy which means he's young, I don't know if that will work against him in the selection process.

I also think Luis Cruz has a good shot of making the team as insurance if Betancourt really suck defensively.

I'm hoping Cappy returns to the Brewers, if he doesn't and if there are no new additions, my 25 man roster will probably look like this:

C-Lucroy, Maldonado

IF- Fielder, Weeks, Betancourt, McGhee, Counsell, Cruz

OF- Hart, Gomez, Braun, Dickerson, Gamel

SP- Greinke, Gallardo, Wolf, Marcum, Narveson

RP- Axford, Braddock, Loe, Parra, Hawkins, McClendon, Egan

Seems some decisions will rest on comfort attained by the coaches at certain positions.

Catcher - 3 way battle to backup Lucroy

IF reserve - Big question is how comfortable with Betancourt's defense. If it's just below average, they might lean to Gamel...if it's a complete black hole and it's beyond Counsell's ability to platoon and stay healthy, I'd go with Cruz. They'll likely have them both on the Nashville shuttle.

Depth at SP is a big deal too. I wonder if Cappy gets the first shot at #5 with Narvy in long relief. They'll need 7-8 starters before year end and I'd rather use both of them before pulling the Manny Parra only open in case of emergency or against the Cardinals lever.

I'd also rather have Gamel over Boggs, just because I'd like his bat off the bench more. I'm just not sure they can work that with him as the fifth OF. Maybe they can keep him up unless Hart or Braun get hurt. As far as Boggs, DM has been pretty good at finding these kind of guys so maybe there is more to him than the numbers show...we'll see.

I think Gamel makes the team because he was very close last year. From a few Macha quotes it sounded like Gamel was going to make the team last year, I assume as a bench guy, until he got hurt. Cruz probably makes the team as well. I believe he is out of options.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Seems some decisions will rest on comfort attained by the coaches at certain positions.

Catcher - 3 way battle to backup Lucroy

IF reserve - Big question is how comfortable with Betancourt's defense. If it's just below average, they might lean to Gamel...if it's a complete black hole and it's beyond Counsell's ability to platoon and stay healthy, I'd go with Cruz. They'll likely have them both on the Nashville shuttle.

Depth at SP is a big deal too. I wonder if Cappy gets the first shot at #5 with Narvy in long relief. They'll need 7-8 starters before year end and I'd rather use both of them before pulling the Manny Parra only open in case of emergency or against the Cardinals lever.

I'd also rather have Gamel over Boggs, just because I'd like his bat off the bench more. I'm just not sure they can work that with him as the fifth OF. Maybe they can keep him up unless Hart or Braun get hurt. As far as Boggs, DM has been pretty good at finding these kind of guys so maybe there is more to him than the numbers show...we'll see.

The only problem with this, is it seems like a lot of people on here are penciling Cappy in, as being a Brewer. There is probably a few teams that can guarantee him a rotation spot out of spring and I don't think we would at this point. I would love for him to come back and be our fifth starter because I think our depth would be better at that position than in recent memory. Here's hoping they sign him, but until they do, I don't think we can put him on the 25 man yet.

I was going to start a thread like this today as I have been thinking about it too. I have been hoping that the Brewers keep 3 catchers so that we could pinch hit for one occasionally. However we then get real left-handed on the bench. I think that we signed Nieves for a reason so that leaves Kottaras as the odd man out. I think that Gamel stays as a pinch-hitter and spot starter at 3rd and right. Also, I have a feeling that a different set of eyes may decide the Kameron Loe (eventually this spot will belong to Mark Rogers) is a starter and Chris Narveson is a LOOGY.

C- Lucroy, Nieves

INF- Fielder, Weeks, Betancourt, McGehee, Counsell, Gamel, Cruz

OF- Hart, Gomez, Braun, Dickerson, Boggs

SP- Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum, Wolf, and Loe

Cl- Axford

SU- Braddock, Hawkins

LM- Parra

LOOGY- Narveson

MR- McClendon, Green

I still have a gut feeling about Kottaras making this team, maybe an injury will open a spot for him. I am guessing that we will work a trade to keep Egan in the minors.

EDIT- can't count. Get rid of Cruz. I like to cheat.

I have a feeling that a different set of eyes may decide the Kameron Loe (eventually this spot will belong to Mark Rogers) is a starter and Chris Narveson is a LOOGY.
Augie, the biggest thing working in Narveson's case is that he was lousy out of the bullpen but again got progressively MUCH better (sub-4 ERA over his last 10 or so starts).

Also, your 25-man roster has 26 guys (14 position players, 5 starters, & 7 relievers).

Archived