Brewer Fanatic

Guitar Hero 3 Announced/Huge Rock Band Update

PeaveyFury
Community Moderator

Activision has officially announced two 2007 installments for GH, one to be released already in mid-July themed for the 80's.

The official website is already looping some of the songs to be featured. The wiki article has 18 of the 30 songs to be in the game listed as well.

www.guitarherogame.com/gh80s/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gui...ks_the_80s

Guitar Hero III is scheduled for the fall, and Activision already released 11 songs, 7 of which are the master tracks from the original artists, including Paint It, Black by the Rolling Stones!

Looks to be a cool playlist so far:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Hero_III

I think the release of GTA IV later in the year is the one game that's going to actually surpass the sales of these things.

Thoughts?

It looks like the 80s version is exclusive to PlayStation. That sucks for me because I have an Xbox 360.

Maybe it's all for the best. My hand still hurts from GH II and I haven't played it for almost two weeks. I should be recoverd by the time GH III comes out.

How good are people around here?

I played a few weeks a couple months ago, and I was something like 2 notes away from a perfect score at Jessica on expert. That was probably my most impressive feat. I always play on expert though.

I can beat most of the songs on expert pretty handily, but can't get past some of the ridiculous ones towards the end.

I think it's mainly because ever since I taught myself how to play the original Guitar Hero, I've been a one-way strummer. I think this far into my GH career it would be too difficult to try to learn to strum two-ways - kind of like how you can't ask most hitters to start switch-hitting in the prime of their careers.

Guitar Hero 2 is crazy fun. I just got a copy for my Xbox 360 for all the Xbox exculsive songs. Plus you can buy the Guitaro Hero 1 songs off the marketplace.

I'm selling the PS2 copy of GH2 and guitar controller if anyone is interested.

http://aycu32.webshots.com/image/16871/2000612649391638504_rs.jpg

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Community Moderator

It looks like the 80s version is exclusive to PlayStation. That sucks for me because I have an Xbox 360.

Yeah, my PS2 is starting to crap out on the more graphically challenging games, so I'm planning an upgrade to 360 sometime yet this year, so I hear you. Fortunately, the 80s version doesn't excite me practically at all. That said, the playlist for GHIII already looks really cool and they've only announced a small fraction of the songs.

I think the release of GTA IV later in the year is the one game that's going to actually surpass the sales of these things.

You do realize that Pokemon DS is going to be the top-selling game this year (even if you count Diamond and Pearl separately), right?

...not to mention that Harmonix (the people who actually developed the GH franchise) are developing Rock Band for their new owners, MTV, distributed by Electronic Arts. Presuming they're locked into the same timetable, the two games will cannibalize each other for sales.

As a PS3 owner, GH3 / Rock Band is going to be my first real chance to jump on the music game bandwagon (Elite Beat Agents notwithstanding).

I'll finally get to try this franchise. I'm pretty excited.

Yeah, I didn't play it until a few weeks ago, I thought it was just a trendy thing, which it is anyways, but it really actually is pretty fun especially if you're playing with other people.

I'll probably pick up the fall release for Wii. I'm a huge Stones fan, and am pleasantly surprised that the band would let the original version of Paint It, Black be featured on the game. It's a rare thing for the Stones to even allow their songs on movie soundtracks these days.

I really didn't know it was this big of a deal... We've been playing non-stop ever since GH1 came out. I just thought me and my friends were just major nerds. Nice to see we're not the only ones.

GH3!!

Soundtrack looks decent, I'm surprised that there isn't crap music all over.

Been playing GH2 on 360, tons of fun. Nice to see Queens of the Stone Age included.

I'm not that good at the game yet, just kinda picked it up, but I can see how addictive it is.

How good are people around here?

I'd like to follow up that question with a question. How good are those of you who play guitar (you know real guitar) compared to the video game nerds?

Just an example; my roomate is the ultimate video game nerd and I've played guitar for years. I'm up to the second last stage of expert and he's in the third stage of expert.

Peavy, you play bass right?

I play guitar, and I think it both helps and hurts when trying to play GH. It really messed me up when I played the GH's More Than A Feeling. Sometimes I add notes that aren't in the game too.

But it helps, you already have that finger dexterity, and I was two-way strumming from the start.

• 3 weeks later...

As bjkrautk mentioned earlier in the thread, Rock Band is scheduled out sometime late this year. They announced 4 tracks for the game, all the originals:

* "Say It Ain't So" - Weezer

* "Paranoid" - Black Sabbath

* "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who

* "In Bloom" - Nirvana

Also, June's Game Informer magazine has a feature article on the game. A link to a message board post describing the features:

www.neogaf.com/forum/show...p?t=163628

Wow. If half that stuff is true, this game is going to be absurd..... and cost as much as the game system you play it on.

Are they still saying 350 or did they drop it? (Maybe I should read the article.. but that takes work) Depending on how fun it is, I'd totally pick it up. I'm already helplessly addicted to GH (Beat GH1 on expert last night.. stupid free bird is blocking me on GH2), and after a night out with friends, drunkenly playing In Bloom would be stupid fun.

Archived