Brewer Fanatic

Left Handed sticks...

Weirdos19

I'm not sure what topic to put this under, so feel free to move this...

We need a second left handed stick in our lineup somewhere. We have a few options as it lies now.

1) Stick Gamel in right and move Hart to center. Gamel plays everyday and bats sixth, behind Casey.

2)Platoon Gomez and Dickerson- and Betancourt and Counsell. That gives us three lefties against right handed pitching.

3)Sign Podsednik- Probably not a popular idea, but can get on base and play some center.

4)Get Edmonds back- Platoon him with Gomez, since Edmonds cannot play everyday.

I'm sure there's more options, but these four seem possible. What do you think?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hate option 1, our defense is downright terrible now, we cant' take another huge hit.

At the very least I hope Dickerson and Counsell get a lot of playtime. I'd like to sign another LH utility type if we can find one.

I'll take number 2, and I think that's what's going to happen. Hart in center would probably be a complete disaster. I imagine that an outfield of Braun-Hart-Gamel would be nicknamed "The Three Stooges" by the end of April. If we peg Braun -10, Hart (CF) -15, and Gamel -10, that's -35. Gomez/Dickerson in center and Hart in right probably saves us around 30 runs (-10, +10, -5 = -5). That's a big chunk.

While Gomez is unlikable, and flat out painful to watch take hacks, his defense truly is a thing of beauty. I wouldn't be surprised if a Gomerson soft platoon provided near average production next year.

I think you give Gomez the everyday job to lose in center come March. If he plays poorly enough to lose it, you change things up at that point. I'm not getting into the Dickerson thing again, but in a straight platoon, he probably gets 400-450 PA.....not a good thing in my opinion. Deservedly or not, I think Gomez should get first chance- not only because of his defense, speed and 'potential'- but because Hardy was given up for him. If he plays his way out of a job so be it, but I want him to get one more chance before they give up on him.

As for shortstop(which I think is the main problem), I think it comes down to spring training. Like it or not, Betancourt will be making the team, and he will be on the roster for a chunk of the season, unless there is a garbage in garbage out trade out there- probably not going to happen. Counsell will be backing up no matter what, because no 40 year old will be able to man short everyday. Basically, I'd say that who starts comes down to whoever plays better this spring- Betancourt or Cruz. If Cruz outplays Betancourt, I could see them going north with all three. I'm not sure if Betancourt is as bad as people says, I need to see with my own eyes before I judge.

At any rate, if the team is competing and these positions are a problem, my guess is that Ray Durham type trades will be made with non-contenders in June or July to fortify things.

In my opinion what should be done is start Dickerson in CF giving Gomez a start or two a week and start Gamel at 3B making McGehee a bench player. I think Gamel will make the club. From the sound of it he would have made the club out of spring training last year if he had not been hurt.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Option two is the likely winner. Braun-Hart-Gamel might be the worst OF defensive combo in league history. Gomez-Dickerson is solid defensively and not so far below average at the plate the team can't handle it. Betancourt is a bigger problem since I'm not sure Counsell can stay healthy with a full platoon. We also need him backing up Weeks & McGahee. There has to be another decent defender out there we can get as a plan B for SS if Betancourt proves too problematic.

At any rate, if the team is competing and these positions are a problem, my guess is that Ray Durham type trades will be made with non-contenders in June or July to fortify things.

Jimmy Rollins and Jose Reyes are FAs after the season. Kinda doubt the Phillies will be out of it, but maybe the Mets will be far enough back to deal Reyes. I can dream, can't I?

I agree a mid-season trade may end up being our solution. Until then, I think Counsell will get a lot of starts at SS, and Dickerson will see a number of starts in CF (and any time needed in the corners). Whether or not they'll be straight platoons, who knows.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think they do a version of #2 with platoons. I don't think a hard platoon at short will work for Counsell at his age, but he could do 40-50 starts there and 10 at second. I also think they'll keep Gamel if he plays well in spring and give him a few starts at 3rd and maybe in right. He can also DH most of those 9 road interleague games.

You end up with Counsel and Gamel being able to pinch hit after the 6th inning when they don't start. One is a power bat and 1 is an on-base guy.

There is a very similar version of one Mr. Lorenzo Cain who, like Cain offers very solid defense, can run, hit for some average AND power, and like Cain may have had his big league start delayed by a year due to injury.

Schafer may be a TOUCH behind where Cain was at this time last year, and it's a lot to expect a rookie in an actual race to come in and do what Cain did, but I've always been of the opinion that in order for almost every team to win it, they've got to have some unexpected player contribute in a big way. At least one. Perhaps come this July, we may have another LH'ed option in CF.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Make Casey McGehee a bench player? After his past two seasons? Come on, that is just not going to happen and would be a huge slap in the face to McGehee..
I don't care if it is a slap in the face. We need to put the best player available on the field. His season last year wasn't really all that impressive and I think worst case scenario Gamel can match it with the potential to be much much better. I don't expect McGehee to hit much better than he did last year. The defense isn't likely to suffer much if at all since McGehee isn't much of a defender. I don't think it will happen but I think it should happen. I think Gamel ends up on the bench.

I would advocate Luis Cruz at SS if I felt more comfortable with his defense. After McGehee and Escobar I really don't trust scouting of minor league defense. Luis Cruz is likely to be an even worse hitter than Betancourt.

I blame Wang.

I think it's a pretty huge leap of faith to say "worst case scenario" Gamel can match McGehee. Based on what? Based on his minor league numbers? Why would you bench someone who has proven that he can be successful in MLB in favor of someone "we think" will be a good MLB player? I don't think putting Gamel at 3B in place of McGehee is putting "the best available player on the field".

edit: Also - "I don't expect McGehee to hit much better than he did last year." Gee, what do you expect? 23HR, 103 RBI, .800 OPS. If he just matches those numbers (much less betters them), I would be happy. I don't see Gamel putting up similar numbers, especially in what would be his first full year (if he started over McGehee)

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Lopez is worse than Betancourt at SS, using UZR. Harris has started 3 games at SS in his career. Cruz makes Betancourt look like Cal Ripken offensively.

Escobar was good defensively last year, especially after the first couple months. McGehee was barely below average as well, as he seemed to show his knee caused many of the problems in '09.

The Brewers were 15th in MLB in defense last year, per UZR. The rumor they were well below average started out as a common complaint (similar to the law that says catchers that can't hit are good defenders), and still continues, despite evidence to the contrary. Of course, there are a dozen metrics out there that measure D, but many of them vary wildly from year-to-year. A season is a small sample on defense, but all the UZR numbers make sense if you watched the games.

logan, obviously you just have some sort of vendetta against McGehee, or a biased favoritism towards Gamel. Nothing you really laid out follows any sort of reasonable logic.
I think that is uncalled for. I am just basing my opinion on different assumptions and biases than you are. You are assuming McGehee will continue to hit as well as he has so far. I am not so certain he will. Gamel in 2009 had a .760ish OPS in sporadic at bats. I think given regular playing he will improve on that number pretty easily based on his minor league numbers. Given that neither is a good defender I don't think that really comes into play much. I also think Gamel's left handed bat would slot pretty nicely into the 2 hole given his decent OBP skills.

I blame Wang.

McGehee has hit well in the majors for two seasons. That is a fact. You just don't up and bench a guy like that. If he struggles at the start of the season, fine, then you can you bench him. Until then, you stick with the player as he is still in his prime and cost controlled.

Gamel probably can turn into a decent major leaguer. Frankly though, I think his highest value will be as Prince's replacement at 1B, or going to RF and having Hart take over at first. I don't see room for him on the major league roster at the start of the year and think he would best benefit by starting at 1B in Nashville.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I frankly don't know what else Casey has to do to be taken seriously. Dude plays his heart out for 2 years, puts up numbers of guys earning 10 times what he does, yet because he was a waiver pick up, rather than an anointed farm hand, he's somehow less valuable and should be benched. I just don't get it...

logan, obviously you just have some sort of vendetta against McGehee, or a biased favoritism towards Gamel. Nothing you really laid out follows any sort of reasonable logic.
I think that is uncalled for. I am just basing my opinion on different assumptions and biases than you are. You are assuming McGehee will continue to hit as well as he has so far. I am not so certain he will. Gamel in 2009 had a .760ish OPS in sporadic at bats. I think given regular playing he will improve on that number pretty easily based on his minor league numbers. Given that neither is a good defender I don't think that really comes into play much. I also think Gamel's left handed bat would slot pretty nicely into the 2 hole given his decent OBP skills.

I agree with you here Logan. Once Prince is gone after 2011, I feel this is the best place for Gamel due to his ability to draw a walk (18 in 148 PAs in 2008). I would love to slot Gamel #2, Weeks #3, Braun #4, McGehee #5, Hart #6, Lucroy #7. That just leaves the Brewers to find a SS or CF who can leadoff.

What I don't understand is the expectation for McGehee to all of a sudden fall off the map and be a bench player. I mean he has only hit .291 with and OBP+ of 120, while averaging 20 HRs since he has been with usI agree with Robbo that it seems like just because he wasn't our farm hand he is destined to fail and we should move him. I'm not saying he's untouchable but to bench him for Gamel would be ludicrious. He's not expensive, he can't be a FA until after 2014 and most importantly, he has produced. Why get rid of him?

Archived