Brewer Fanatic

Jeff Francis

sargennm

In a weird throw away line in Dan Szymborski's blog on ESPN. He mentions the Brewers are pursuing Jeff Francis, which I hadn't heard elsewhere. That would be a nice low risk high reward type signing for the No. 5 slot if they could pull it off for a small contract. It's for Insider's only, but here's the line where he mentions Francis (also suggested pursuing Kevin Millwood).

Milwaukee's been pursuing Jeff Francis,

which is the right idea, but can't give up on finding a fifth starter

and using Narveson as a swingman should Francis go elsewhere.

He mentioned that the ZiPS projections have the Cards winning the NL Central with 87 wins and the Reds and Brewers tied with 85 wins.

I'd love to see the Brewers sign Jeff Francis as the #5 starter, but I'd be slightly surprised after the Greinke and Marcum acquisitions. I think he is very talented and has a great chance to bounce back, especially outside of Coors field.

He mentioned that the ZiPS projections have the Cards winning the NL Central with 87 wins and the Reds and Brewers tied with 85 wins.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

With the rotation the Brewers have put together and the fact that they didn't have to give up Fielder to get it, 85 wins would be quite a disappointment. Then again, I think the emoticon accurately expresses what I think of "projections".

He's not any better than Narveson. Would much rather spend time and money on something that is more of a need or upgrade, namely SS and CF.
I agree entirely. Francis is a luxury. An upgrade at SS or CF is more of a necessity.

I guess it all depends on how much he would cost. It would make for a good competition if we had Narveson, Capuano, and Francis all competing for the final rotation spot in spring training. One of the two losing out on the rotation spot could possibly go to the bullpen if needed. And then on top of that you would still have Rogers and Rivas in AAA if needed. Starting pitching depth is a luxury any GM should pursue if they are worth their salt (and I think that's what Melvin is looking to do).

Francis would give a better GB rate than Narveson, but I agree with everyone else, we should be focused on upgrading SS first, particularly defensively.

With our infield defense, I'm not sure we want too many GB. Not sure if I should put this in blue or not.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

I agree with the consensus that this is not worth the money. I'm actually hoping the #5 starter is Capuano. I think Milwaukee should sign another solid bullpen arm. I don't want them to put too much stock in the one successful year Loe has had and I certainly don't want a bad bullpen to ruin good seasons for the Big Three starters. I would like them to sign another veteran relief pitcher, preferably someone with postseason and closer experience.

Francis, Capuano, whoever, I'd just feel far more comfortable with a solid 6th and 7th SP on board. Add up the top 5's actual IP, and in many cases, your number will be 500-600.

I did not expect adding 2 arms like Greinke and Marcum, but I was hoping Narveson would be the #6 guy, as that would indicate good depth. I still do.

Yeah, I'm with Al here- Even if we re-sign Cappy, our 6-7 starters are essentially Cappy and either Mark Rogers or Manny Parra. I think that's putting way too much reliance on three guys that each have their own question marks, some of them significant question marks. One more healthy, experienced starter would be ideal for me too.

No solid, proven SP is going to sign without a promise of being the 5th SP. That's why Capuano and others recovering from injury have merit, as they are unlikely to be guaranteed anything. That's why I wanted Brandon McCarthy, as he is good, but not good enough to earn a promise like that. Millwood on a 1y/$2M deal would be fine. Almost any proven SP on a deal like that or less would be. Those 5 ERA guys look mighty good when your best SP at Nashville has a 4.50 ERA in AAA. Heck, Wayne Franklin won a lot of games with a good offense behind him and a 5ish ERA.

Archived