Brewer Fanatic

Would You Explore a Greinke Extension Now?

Is it a foregone conclusion in most people's minds that the Brewers will only have Zack Greinke for only two years? I keep seeing articles around the internet speculating that yes the Brewers did an amazing deal but gave up a lot for only two years of Greinke, thereby assuming he's gone after 2012. I cannot believe that the Brewers would make this deal without having some semblance of a long term vision for what it would take for Greinke to be on this team long term. In that vein, I think that attempting to sign Greinke long term before he has even thrown a pitch in Milwaukee is the most prudent thing for the Brewers to do.

Greinke currently has 2 years and $27MM ($13.5MM per year) left on his current deal. I have proposed, on another thread, offering him a 3 year, $51MM ($17MM) extension on top of that. This gives the Brewers Greinke for 5 years at $78MM. This may seem below market and I know CC and Lee both received massive contracts, but their track records are better than Greinke's. I feel this would be a fair jumping off point for Greinke. What's it going to take to keep him long term? Do you give him Prince's 5yr/$100MM offer? Too much?

I would definitely think Melvin is at least going to test the waters with Greinke on this (and probably Marcum as well). I think 3/$51 million might be a bit low to entice him, but of course you never know. I could possibly see 3/$60 million or 4/$80 million getting it done, though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I will be very disappointed if they are not extended. You don't strip your farm system for two year players. At their ages...we need them to be the core along with Yogo.

The fact that Grienke has the same agent as Braun and Hart lends me to believe we feel something can get done there.

I would explore an extension asap...try to capitalize on the high and excitement this brings to everyone. He may be so happy to get out of KC that he will be open before seeing what happens this year. I wouldn't expect a discount but fair value would be reasonable to expect. I think the Marcum factor could play well again. The trade we made to get Marcum helped convince Greinke we are going for it. Extend Marcum and show Greinke that we are serious about this team for longer than 2011. Gallardo, Braun, and Hart (hopefully Weeks) extensions should demonstrate the long term viability of this team and would go a long ways to showing him (and Marcum) that we are for real.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

I would definately. From what im hearing, it doesnt even sound like NY wants him because of the anxiety issues and that he might be best suited for a small-mid market team. With that said, I think they give him some time to make sure he likes it here and they will try to work it out.

I think if I were Melvin, I would broach the subject on an extension with both starting pitchers, but I wouldn't be too pushy about it. You can at least open the door to it now, and then hope as time progresses, both become more amenable to the idea. Then if next off-season rolls around and neither has signed, I would get much more aggressive with the idea.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Extend Marcum and show Greinke that we are serious about this team for longer than 2011.

Good point. Geinke noted that the fact that we didn't trade Fielder, and instead signed Marcum is the reason he waived the no trade clause and Milwaukee became one of the three teams he wanted to go to. We aren't going to be able to extend Fielder, so we should get Rickie and Marcum done, and that should show Greinke that we're serious about winning for the long term.

I don't know if it's possible, but I'd be pretty excited if we could have Greinke, Marcum, Yo, Weeks, Braun, Hart, Lucroy, McGehee, Gamel and our bullpen in place for the next 3-4 years, plus pitching on the way in the minors. Until that happens, I'll savor the moment we're currently in, with one of the top offenses and one of the top pitching staffs in the National League.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived